(4) Paint Valley vs. (8) South Webster 3/3

bbjunky81
SEO

(4) Paint Valley vs. (8) South Webster 3/3

Post by bbjunky81 »

First Division 4 matchup at the Convo this year.

What is Paint Valley's record? What are their key wins?

I know South Webster played @ Paint Valley earlier in the year but the Cook boy didn't play. Any idea what the final was?

Game will be at 6:15 on Monday.

theburgtheword
Varsity

Re: (4) Paint Valley vs. (8) South Webster 3/3

Post by theburgtheword »

Paint Valley
9-14 overall, 3-11 SVC
Last edited by theburgtheword on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

You can see some of their players in the season stats for the SVC conference here: http://svcsportszone.com/basketballstats1314.html
The biggest problem for SW will be McCloy. He averages 17 pts./15 rbs. and is a load to handle inside. Also, Crabtree is near the top of their conference in 3-pt shots. As the tournament has went along, I am not sure about the strength of the SVC this year. Minford defeated their league champ Unioto and Burg beat Huntington and Zane Trace. If SW can find a way to keep McCloy somewhat in check, they may be able to pull the upset. This should be the Jeeps toughest test so far.

Myra Fleener
Riding the Bench

Post by Myra Fleener »

I like the Jeeps. They are walking on familiar ground. Paint Valley has just been too inconsistent throughout the year. One week they're beating a good Lynchburg team and the next they're getting drilled by 30 at home vs. Southeastern.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

PV is 9-14.

They struggled with the depth of teams in the SVC (which was better than how they performed in the postseason) and defeated SW 66-44 the first time around. The addition to Cook will be a huge difference in this game, as well as SW having experience at this level. PV is well coached, so they won't go in overlooking the Jeeps.

I think McCloy has another big game, Bearcats by 5.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

This was a matchup I was hoping to see when the brackets first came out. Webster got drilled by Paint Valley on the road in December without Cook, now want to see how much of a difference he'll make for the Jeeps in the rematch. I wouldn't put much stock into Paint Valley's poor record as SVC is mostly D3/D2 schools like SOC II and had some solid teams this year. Webster will have to keep the big boy in check, but apparently did a heck of a job with Southern's big men last night. Should be a great game*

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

LETS GO JEEPS! SOC!!!

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I like Webster in this on 47-42.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... personally I'm just glad that I will get to see THE MAN in the post for Paint Valley - Mason McCloy ... anyone who can average a double double for the season, put up some major numbers vs good competition in individual games (i.e.. a 32 rebound performance vs Lynchburg Clay) has my attention ... only a junior M&M will be back again next season for PV ... a Big who actually plays in the paint, does what bigs are supposed to do - rebound/score in the paint- brilliant!!!

Tripleplay
Freshman Team

Post by Tripleplay »

For one of these teams the season started and ended with the same opponent. People are mentioning that Cook didn't play in the 1st game, but SW also played a few freshman that were playing their 1st varsity game. They are now Sophomores by experience. Also, SW has had plenty of experience this year against big men vs Burg, West, Valley, Minford, East and most recently Southern. They have had some great games in those contest, and some so-so games also. Should be another exciting game at the CONVO!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Tripleplay wrote:For one of these teams the season started and ended with the same opponent. People are mentioning that Cook didn't play in the 1st game, but SW also played a few freshman that were playing their 1st varsity game. They are now Sophomores by experience. Also, SW has had plenty of experience this year against big men vs Burg, West, Valley, Minford, East and most recently Southern. They have had some great games in those contest, and some so-so games also. Should be another exciting game at the CONVO!
They played around Christmas, not the first game of the season.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Should be an entertaining, competitive game Monday night!

Deeefense
Riding the Bench

Post by Deeefense »

In my opinion, McCloy isn't as good as his numbers indicate. Most of his points come off offensive rebounds. They run very few plays to get him the ball. I'm not sure how good his offensive skills are on the block with his footwork. He does have a high motor though and plays as hard as he can. Most of Paint Valleys offenses are geared towards Stratton, McFadden, or getting Crabtree an open 3. This is just one man's opinion who's seen them play about 7-8 times.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

chicken_coop wrote:LETS GO JEEPS! SOC!!!
I'll second that coop ole buddy! Jeeps get revenge in a squeaker! SOC!

Jay Bruce
Freshman Team

Post by Jay Bruce »

It's been awhile since I've seen a player score like he does with as few attempts as he has while not forcing things. The Cook boy from South Webster has been playing exceptionally well the last half the season since he got back from his early season injury that forced him to miss some games. Cook is able to get to the ft line a lot and then convert when he gets there while being a pure shooter from beyond the arc too. He could average 30+ a game with more shots but he makes sure to get his teammates involved early and often. South Webster has won several games in a row against some good SOC teams and the tournament as they took down # 1 seed Racine by double figures. I'm looking for SW to come away with this win by 10 points.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Jay Bruce wrote:It's been awhile since I've seen a player score like he does with as few attempts as he has while not forcing things. The Cook boy from South Webster has been playing exceptionally well the last half the season since he got back from his early season injury that forced him to miss some games. Cook is able to get to the ft line a lot and then convert when he gets there while being a pure shooter from beyond the arc too. He could average 30+ a game with more shots but he makes sure to get his teammates involved early and often. South Webster has won several games in a row against some good SOC teams and the tournament as they took down # 1 seed Racine by double figures. I'm looking for SW to come away with this win by 10 points.
jay bruce: agreed about Cook...he has not forced the issue this year even though nobody would blame him if he did. As you said, he is real good at getting to the line and then hitting free throws once there (13-13 against Southern). Injuries have probably cost him a chance at All State team, but he will get some post-season recognition regardless. It has been fun to watch him develop as a player over the last few years.*

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

What is South Webster's current won-loss record?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

DadPaul08: I think Webster is 11-13.*

Tripleplay
Freshman Team

Post by Tripleplay »

art_vandelay wrote:DadPaul08: I think Webster is 11-13.*
Pretty sure you are correct at 11-13. Without Cook I think they were 0-6, with him 11-7. And it did take him a few games to get back into the swing of things. But once that happened he has been the ultimate teammate and leader.

Personally I don't like the long layoff. Will be 9 days between tournament games. Interested to see which team can find their groove quickest.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Triple play: I don't like long layoff either....I expecting a sloppy game tomorrow with both teams struggling on offensive end. Don't know when Paint Valley last played at Convo, but it not an easy place to shoot at if you never played there before. Sounds like Brody Queen going to have to play some defense on Paint Valley's big man and keep him off the glass. Good luck Jeeps*

Return to “Boys Basketball”