Oak Hill 47 Paint Valley 46 (2017 Convo)

mattash
Site Admin

Oak Hill 47 Paint Valley 46 (2017 Convo)

Post by mattash »

Thoughts?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Bucknut27
Varsity

Re: Convo: #2 Oak Hill @ #6 Paint Valley 3/5 (7:15PM)

Post by Bucknut27 »

Pretty intriguing match up. Can Oak Hills guards control the game or will Paint Valley be able to get it to their big man all night. Should be a fun one to watch.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

What does Oak Hill have size wise? I have seen Paint Valley 3 times this year. Unioto-L Adena-L and Saturday against Westfall. If Oak Hill doesn't have a big you can count on Swingle having 30 and 10. Double team all you want and he will kick out to the shooters. He will even go 2-1 at times and score. Excellent footwork and touch for a big his size. I don't know anything about Oak Hill other than their record and you don't lose 1 game to this point if you're not a solid TEAM. Should be interesting to watch. I will be there Sunday night supporting Ross county.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

CavalierAlum05 wrote:What does Oak Hill have size wise? I have seen Paint Valley 3 times this year. Unioto-L Adena-L and Saturday against Westfall. If Oak Hill doesn't have a big you can count on Swingle having 30 and 10. Double team all you want and he will kick out to the shooters. He will even go 2-1 at times and score. Excellent footwork and touch for a big his size. I don't know anything about Oak Hill other than their record and you don't lose 1 game to this point if you're not a solid TEAM. Should be interesting to watch. I will be there Sunday night supporting Ross county.
Huntington did a much better job on Swingle than did Westfall by fronting him. The key for he Oaks is to limit Swingle and make someone else beat them. As has been stated on a different thread teams who pound it down low tend to do better at the Convo then those who shoot threes. The big open space can affect shooters.
I look for Norm to have a plan to limit Swingle. The Oaks struggled big time against River Valley so we'll see how this one plays out.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Interesting matchup IMO. PV to me is similar to RV...but PV's big man Swingle is the best around. I thought the Oaks struggled a bit with RV's big kid. Swingle is a different animal and everyone knows it. The Carroll boys are very familiar with Swingle. They may front him with Long or Nolan Carroll but when I watched PV they were good at getting the pass into Swingle and he has great hands...and once he catches it in a certain spot...it's over. I could see Norm having a player behind him after the lob and ready to get a cheap charge or two on him. If Swingle can play 28+ minutes in this game and PV play good sound defense and minimize turnovers....they could have a chance to win.

IMO OH will be too good and move on. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep it close, manage to get Swinglein foul trouble and then pull away.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I've seen PV play 5 times this year and Swingle has a combined 2 fouls in those games. He has great body control...but we'll see how Norm gets the officials to call this one.

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

I didn't see RVs Dovenbarger really being much of a factor in that game. The Oaks blocked a couple of his shots, contested every shot he took in the paint and held him to 5 points on the night. I would say that was pretty good defense on a 6'7" kid that dropped 26 on a very good (and bigger) Alexander defense earlier in the week. I wouldn't say the Oaks defense was the issue in that game, it was the 32% shooting from the field. I will give credit to River Valley, they had a good game plan and played very good defense as well.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Oaktown wrote:I didn't see RVs Dovenbarger really being much of a factor in that game. The Oaks blocked a couple of his shots, contested every shot he took in the paint and held him to 5 points on the night. I would say that was pretty good defense on a 6'7" kid that dropped 26 on a very good (and bigger) Alexander defense earlier in the week. I wouldn't say the Oaks defense was the issue in that game, it was the 32% shooting from the field. I will give credit to River Valley, they had a good game plan and played very good defense as well.
If Swingle gets the ball where Dovenbarger got the ball numerous times with little trouble....he will finish. Oaks did a good job of contesting Dovenbarger once he got it close and a few times he over shot the basket and the weak side rebounder had a chance for an easy put back that didn't.

If 2 of the 3 Oaks perimeter shooters are hitting they should definitely win. The Convo provides a different background and can affect shooting. I'll guess Landon will be hitting.

Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

dovenbarger did not finish against oak hill very well. OH played him tough without a doubt but there were several point blank shot the big man missed no shame with the tough defense oak hill was putting on him. I don't want to take away from Dovenbarger he played with great effort along with all of River Valley's team. I you are in oak hills shoes you are going to see every ones best effort. if PV's big man can finish better than RV's big oak hill will have trouble. One more thing Oak Hill, i think, was having a very off night shooting the ball. if they are on and Paint valleys big is getting and making the shots dovenberger was getting this will be and exciting game to watch. good luck to both teams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

645945 wrote:dovenbarger did not finish against oak hill very well. OH played him tough without a doubt but there were several point blank shot the big man missed no shame with the tough defense oak hill was putting on him. I don't want to take away from Dovenbarger he played with great effort along with all of River Valley's team. I you are in oak hills shoes you are going to see every ones best effort. if PV's big man can finish better than RV's big oak hill will have trouble. One more thing Oak Hill, i think, was having a very off night shooting the ball. if they are on and Paint valleys big is getting and making the shots dovenberger was getting this will be and exciting game to watch. good luck to both teams.
RV did play very well. Great coaching and execution...couldn't get the late close ones to fall. PV will be hard pressed to play that well on defense but Swingle is elite. I could easily see Oak Hill winning 58-39 and Swingle having 29 points....could also see OH get a decent lead and just sit on it and winning a 40-27 game that takes about an hour from start to finish

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

If Swingle gets the ball in the paint it's 2pts. He doesn't miss! Lol. If they can reduce his touches inside could be a long night. If he gets the ball consistently as he did against Westfall he might have 20 at halftime.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Another key I think for PV is reducing TOS. Their two primary guards are underclassmen, one being a freshmen. If the big stage gets to these kids then Swingle won't be a factor. I hope McFadden can play well and just do his job of running the offense.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

CavalierAlum05 wrote:Another key I think for PV is reducing TOS. Their two primary guards are underclassmen, one being a freshmen. If the big stage gets to these kids then Swingle won't be a factor. I hope McFadden can play well and just do his job of running the offense.
Does Oak Hill pressure though? Sure they can but they must also pace themselves and avoid foul trouble themselves. Pressure often leads to turnovers but also cheap fouls....not sure risk is worth the reward. If Oak get down a bit I imagine they well but would guess OH doesn't pressure a whole lot.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Convo Updates Oak Hill vs Paint Valley 3-5 7:15pm

Post by Orange and Brown »

:mrgreen:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: Convo Updates Oak Hill vs Paint Valley 3-5 7:15pm

Post by Hoopie74 »

At the end of the game when everyone is tired. A big guy is still big. I think Paint Valley will win this one.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

18 minutes til tipoff

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

3 minutes

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Game time!

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Concessionlady
Freshman Team

Post by Concessionlady »

Is there a radio station doing this game?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

6-2 pv

BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Boys Basketball”