Oak Hill 47 Paint Valley 46 (2017 Convo)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Oak Hill 47 Paint Valley 46

Post by Ironman92 »

smurray wrote:Looks like Norms plan was to let Swingle get his. All Norm does is win, of course Carroll had knock down a deep one.
I'm wrong all the time but I disagree....they definitely didn't let Swingle get his. They played hard in guarding him a props to him for what he does to get to 30 points.

Missed ft and perimeter defense breakdown

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

PV 3-10 from ft line

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote:
smurray wrote:Looks like Norms plan was to let Swingle get his. All Norm does is win, of course Carroll had knock down a deep one.
I'm wrong all the time but I disagree....they definitely didn't let Swingle get his. They played hard in guarding him a props to him for what he does to get to 30 points.

Missed ft and perimeter defense breakdown
Agreed. I thought they did well to keep Swingle to 30. 1-4 in the last 1:05 killed the Bearcats. Not using the fouls to give to at least reset tre defense was another key. That's a hard thing to practice though. PV returns 4 of their main 5 players from today's game.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Should have used their fouls at the end. I think PV should have went man too the last two possessions.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

How did Swingle do when he faced Southeastern. 3 different SE fans (older men) kept dogging him. The one kept insisting how tired he was and that OH should just run it and wear him down...after 3rd time I turned around and told them that I watched him play 6 complete 10 min quarters in a scrimmage against Jackson and he didn't come out one single time. Other guy just kept saying he's not that good...as he was clearly dominate and 3rd guy (I swear this is word for word)...."back when I played he wouldn't have dunked on me because on the first possession I would tell him he better have clean underwear on if he dunks because I'm going to pull his shorts down if you do" WTH?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Ironman92 wrote:How did Swingle do when he faced Southeastern. 3 different SE fans (older men) kept dogging him. The one kept insisting how tired he was and that OH should just run it and wear him down...after 3rd time I turned around and told them that I watched him play 6 complete 10 min quarters in a scrimmage against Jackson and he didn't come out one single time. Other guy just kept saying he's not that good...as he was clearly dominate and 3rd guy (I swear this is word for word)...."back when I played he wouldn't have dunked on me because on the first possession I would tell him he better have clean underwear on if he dunks because I'm going to pull his shorts down if you do" WTH?
Sounds like three people who need to get a life and realize this is high school sports.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote:How did Swingle do when he faced Southeastern. 3 different SE fans (older men) kept dogging him. The one kept insisting how tired he was and that OH should just run it and wear him down...after 3rd time I turned around and told them that I watched him play 6 complete 10 min quarters in a scrimmage against Jackson and he didn't come out one single time. Other guy just kept saying he's not that good...as he was clearly dominate and 3rd guy (I swear this is word for word)...."back when I played he wouldn't have dunked on me because on the first possession I would tell him he better have clean underwear on if he dunks because I'm going to pull his shorts down if you do" WTH?
Sooooo pretty much the same experience that I had (minus the racism) lol it's pretty easy to run down a kid from far away, especially one like Swingle.

And Swingle averaged 24 points and 12 rebounds against SE this year in 2 PV wins.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

danicalifornia wrote:
Sooooo pretty much the same experience that I had (minus the racism) lol it's pretty easy to run down a kid from far away, especially one like Swingle.
Agree. I've watched Swingle from afar over the last three seasons. The progress he's made on developing a complete game and how he has filled out his body has been very impressive. Obviously a young man who works very hard at his craft.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Yeah he's a junior and radio said WVU is currently looking at him. Congrats to OH on a hard fought win on to a scrappy SE team. Those 3 guys don't have a lick of sense, seriously you get this late in the season everyone is in shape and ready to go.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

The best team lost this game....Paint Valley gift wrapped and handed this game to Oak Hill.... Everyone always says Oak Hill does what it takes to win...Actually they had no answer....Paint Valley just didn't hit free throws and handed them the game...River Valley did the same thing missing easy shots after being up 1 late...Ive watched Oak Hill play 3 games this year and Fairland would absolutely own them......Swingle was a beast!!!! great ball player!!!! Oak Hill is not a great team...I can't believe they only lost 1 game....If they had played in the OVC they wouldn't have had a record like that... Oak Hill has to be the team that surprised me the most...I thought they would be better than they are.....If Oak Hill goes on to regionals they'll get pounded!!!!!!

ANYTHINGGOES1332
Waterboy

Post by ANYTHINGGOES1332 »

mrwonderful
If you attend ball games regularly you know that all teams have on nights and off nights. Admit oak hill has not played to their potential the past several games but to try and discredit their success? You point out PV mistakes that cost them the game well You could say that about OH as well in that they should have won by more than they did. OH does do what it takes to win. Coach Persin is very disciplined and it shows in his players.

Jason Vorhees
S

Re: Final Oak Hill 47 Paint Valley 46

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Besides the obvious Carroll shot, another huge play made by him was the steal that lead to two free throws. Paint Valley was up 44-40 or 44-42 at the time of the steal. Another huge momentum swing was the air ball free throw by Paint Valley late in the fourth. Swingle is good. Never came off the court. Constantly double teamed with a third man hovering near by. He's legitimate, on offense and defense. Oak Hill's ability to stay in Paint Valley's passing lanes hindered them from wing to wing play.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Wow, what a game. Once again the Oaks prevail. How they do, who cares.
I thought PV did not help themselves out. 1. Why play Zone the last 2-3 possessions. Zone left too many open shots. Oaks hit over 10 3's . 2. 3 team fouls, why not have Swingle trying to rebound on the FT's?, knowing that FT's are probably going to be missed. If he gets a foul who cares, he had none and not even close to the bonus. 3. PV should have called a timeout once they got it across halfcourt (about 4-5 seconds Left). Would've given them a chance to throw one into swingle. 4. Oak Hill came out running in the 3rd qtr and built an 8 point lead, then went away from that. Anytime they beat Swingle down the court they scored. Not sure why they didn't do that more.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I know WVU, Akron & George Washington are all interested in Swingle. On a side note, in all the years I've been watching games at the Convo - last night was the first time an OU coach sat courtside to watch a player. Saul showed up a few minutes before tip and stood behind Lou in front of the bleachers the entire game. I don't know if he talked to Swingle after the game - but if I was Saul - I would have walked into the locker room and offered him a scholarship on the spot. lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote:Wow, what a game. Once again the Oaks prevail. How they do, who cares.
I thought PV did not help themselves out. 1. Why play Zone the last 2-3 possessions. Zone left too many open shots. Oaks hit over 10 3's . 2. 3 team fouls, why not have Swingle trying to rebound on the FT's?, knowing that FT's are probably going to be missed. If he gets a foul who cares, he had none and not even close to the bonus. 3. PV should have called a timeout once they got it across halfcourt (about 4-5 seconds Left). Would've given them a chance to throw one into swingle. 4. Oak Hill came out running in the 3rd qtr and built an 8 point lead, then went away from that. Anytime they beat Swingle down the court they scored. Not sure why they didn't do that more.
Point #1 and #2 were head scratching. That one missed ft looked like several rebounds where Swingle just tipped it to himself for the lay in.

Oh well...gotta finish.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

bman wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:
Agree. I've watched Swingle from afar over the last three seasons. The progress he's made on developing a complete game and how he has filled out his body has been very impressive. Obviously a young man who works very hard at his craft.
I 100% agree with this statement. Last two years I have been disappointed in what Swingle has done at the Convo. However this year, he was a totally different player. There was no answer to his game. All Oak Hill could do is play behind and hope he missed. I loved his patience and footwork in the post. The kid has really become a legitimate D1 College player.

I loved the defense that Paint Valley played last night. Overplay the wings and funnel everything to the big boy. PV will be very tough next year.

OH did not panic and was solid. Their fast break opened the game up. Paint Valley got better at taking that away. It was really the best game of the day.

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Way to be clutch Landon!!!!!

Great job Oaks!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

New count before next season. Be interesting if Paint Valley can drop to DIV again. With Oak Hill and Fairland absolutely loaded next year, it would be cool of the Bearcats would drop.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

93Bulldog wrote:New count before next season. Be interesting if Paint Valley can drop to DIV again. With Oak Hill and Fairland absolutely loaded next year, it would be cool of the Bearcats would drop.
I am shocked they are D3. It has to be close.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote:I know WVU, Akron & George Washington are all interested in Swingle. On a side note, in all the years I've been watching games at the Convo - last night was the first time an OU coach sat courtside to watch a player. Saul showed up a few minutes before tip and stood behind Lou in front of the bleachers the entire game. I don't know if he talked to Swingle after the game - but if I was Saul - I would have walked into the locker room and offered him a scholarship on the spot. lol
Ohio State, Xavier and Dayton have also expressed interest from what I've been told.

Return to “Boys Basketball”