South Point 59 Portsmouth 42 (2017 Convo)

mattash
Site Admin

South Point 59 Portsmouth 42 (2017 Convo)

Post by mattash »

Thoughts?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
bbn77
All Conference

Re: Convo: #2 Portsmouth vs. #6 South Point 3/5 (3:45PM)

Post by bbn77 »

All the talk about how the OVC is horrible this year but pretty much guaranteed to have two teams playing for district titles with Fairland and the winner of this game advancing.

But on to this game, I would say this stage would be too big for SP but I also said that about the game against Burg and ate my words. This should be a great ballgame, both regular season meetings were close as well. I'll say Portsmouth by 5, since the Trojans have a better supporting cast.

ROLL PEAKE
js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

I'll say South Point by 6. Portsmouth struggled with North Adams and cannot afford to do that vs South Point.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Should be another great game ,congrats to both schools on advancing and representing the OVC

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans will have to play well to beat the Pointers for a third time this season. The two previous meetings were very tough battles, especially the game at SP. Making shots is paramount to Portsmouth's success. At this level in the tourney, they cannot afford to have extended cold spells knocking down jumpers. The Pointers played well in clutch time vs. Wheelersburg, so they have experience in a tournament pressure situation.

I am very proud of these Trojans and the coaching staff.......17-7 from a team that I thought at the beginning of the season would struggle to get above .500 with only 1 proven scorer returning. It has truly been a fun year and am thrilled to see our kids get to play at the Convo. I would say that what our kids have done have exceeded the expectations of the great majority of the Trojan faithful.

This is the 34th time in school history that a Trojan team has won at least 17 games in a season.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Just got word that Trojan senior Kendal Reynolds is officially the 3rd leading all time scorer at Portsmouth. He now has 1,421 points, passing the legendary first team All-American Larry Hisle (1,375 points.....graduated 1965). Congratulations to Kendal on a fabulous career that is not over yet!!

GO KENDAL!! GO TROJANS!!

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Congratulations Kendal!!!!!!!!

Championship07
Riding the Bench

Post by Championship07 »

Fantastic accomplishment for Kendall! He's a great competitor, basketball player and most importantly a great kid. Always respectful to opposing coaches and referees shows good character and values. He deserves that honor. Trojan how close is he to 2nd and what is Kyrie's school record mark? I believe that makes Kendall being so high in scoring that much more impressive having played with Kyrie (The leading scorer in school history) for 3 seasons and still getting that many points! Also worth noting he played with Skye Oliver for 2 seasons who also scored his fair share! Coach Collins does a great job of getting his scorers in best positions to score! Again congrats Kendall!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

trojandave wrote:Just got word that Trojan senior Kendal Reynolds is officially the 3rd leading all time scorer at Portsmouth. He now has 1,421 points, passing the legendary first team All-American Larry Hisle (1,375 points.....graduated 1965). Congratulations to Kendal on a fabulous career that is not over yet!!

GO KENDAL!! GO TROJANS!!
Interesting to see current Portsmouth players passing career scoring marks from some of the big names in their history. Obviously, some of that is skewed with many of the recent players having more games in varsity play than the players in the "old days" who only were able to have 2 years of varsity play. Do you happen to know who are the top players in Portsmouth history as far as varsity PPG?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Here are the top 8 scorers all time in Portsmouth Trojans history, with the year they graduated:

1. Kyre Allison (2016).................1,688
2. Craig Tubbs (1979).................1,485
3. Kendal Reynolds (active)..........1,421
4. Larry Hisle (1965)..................1,375
5. Jeff Lisath (1978)..................1,256
6. (tie) Dion McKinley (2012).......1,096
6. (tie) Wayne Evans (2012).........1,096
8. Damond Mannon (1992)...........1,057

Number of games played has quite a bit to do with this list. In Larry Hisle's career, the regular season was 17 games. Jeff Lisath and Craig Tubbs played an 18 game regular season. Kyre Allison and Kendal Reynolds played with a 22 game regular season schedule. Of course how far the Trojans advanced in the tournament had a big effect on this list as well. Jeff Lisath played in 8 tournament games in 1978, while Craig Tubbs played in a total of 12 in 1978 and 1979. Kyre Allison, starting since his freshman year, played in 13 games from 2013-2016, while Kendal Reynolds will play in at least 10 counting the district semifinal. Hisle, Lisath, and Tubbs did not have the 3 point line when they played, but I know from watching Craig Tubbs that his total would be considerably higher if he had the 3 point line. He was an incredible shooter that to this day I rate him the best outside marksman in the years that I have seen the Trojans play (1971--present).

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

Congrats to Kendall. This game is a toughy! I'm gonna go with Portsmouth for the simple fact that South Point is not disciplined enough to win a close game. Point has been in a lot of close ones but struggle to finish. JMO.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

4thgoal wrote:
trojandave wrote:Just got word that Trojan senior Kendal Reynolds is officially the 3rd leading all time scorer at Portsmouth. He now has 1,421 points, passing the legendary first team All-American Larry Hisle (1,375 points.....graduated 1965). Congratulations to Kendal on a fabulous career that is not over yet!!

GO KENDAL!! GO TROJANS!!
Interesting to see current Portsmouth players passing career scoring marks from some of the big names in their history. Obviously, some of that is skewed with many of the recent players having more games in varsity play than the players in the "old days" who only were able to have 2 years of varsity play. Do you happen to know who are the top players in Portsmouth history as far as varsity PPG?

hand goal you also got to look at the school those older players played against in the GOL and independent back in the 50's to 80's. Portsmouth played against class AAA and then D-1 and D-2 schools from Cincinnati, Dayton, Middletown, Columbus, all over those areas. Also a lot of those schools was ranked in top5 and top10 in the state. Also at Portsmouth you didn't play as a freshman or sophomore back then, you might have had afew play in their sophomore year but you had to be a stud all state player. You played on a freshman team or jv. So most only play two years some played three(not many).

I'm not taking anything away from these kids that have done this because they still had to shoot and score!!

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Throw the first 2 games out of this equation.....Both teams are good enough to win this game....Key for South Point to win this game.
1. Biggest key is to get back on defense and not allow wide open layups like they did in 1st Portsmouth game and fell behind.
2. Penetrate into the lane opening up inside and outside shots. 1st game they penetrated none....
3. Playing team ball like they did at Burg where everyone contributed...Doesn't help your team when one kid scores 27-30 points but shots half the team shots and 3 kids don't score......TEAM BALL. Make Portsmouth guard 5 players not 1.
4. SP has to do a better job on the Boards...
5. SP needs to hit 3's
Key for Portsmouth to win....
1. Biggest key for Portsmouth is to not take SP lightly because they won the 2 earlier games with the Pointers...Yes they won both games but I bet if you asked people who were at 2nd game they'd tell you yes we won score but lost that game....
2. Portsmouth can't rely on their stud to win this game or they'll lose
3. Portsmouth needs to hit 3's
4. need to rebouind

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Will the SP-Portsmouth game be on internet for listening?

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

WNXT. Com

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Thanks Minford 17 and good luck to the mighty Minford Falcon!!!!!!!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Convo updates Portsmouth VA South Point 3-5 3:45pm

Post by Orange and Brown »

:mrgreen:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Haven't seen either team this year, so I'm looking forward to this one today. Can't wait to watch the Fox kid on the big stage.

The couple of times that I've seen the Pointers, they've been super fun to watch. Plus, Coach Collins is one of my favorite coaches in the SE District, so I plan on really enjoying this one.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Toss up. Either team by 2.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Convo updates Portsmouth VA South Point 3-5 3:45pm

Post by Orange and Brown »

10 minutes til tipoff

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Boys Basketball”