Vinton County 88 Waverly 66 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Vinton County 88 Waverly 66 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Vinton County 88
Waverly 66 a final

... 154 points between the 2 teams ... the Vinton County Vikings literally and figuratively "outpaced ... out ran" the Waverly Tigers ... the fat lady was singing in the shower by halftime in tonight opening game ... The Tigers were "out-Waverlyied" by the Vikings of Coach Combs ... Waverly DID have speed/quicks BUT Vinton County is and was "quickerer" ... I knew coming into this one that Waverly was going to make it a track meet ... what I didn't know for certain was would VC lace up the track shoes and get after it ... when the starters were announced with VC's 6-8 big man Bryce Damron IN the lineup I wasn't sure how this would play out ... Waverly was able to go toe to toe with Vinton County in lap one ... led by their speedsters Cade Marquez and senior big man Trey Rigsby - both had 8 points in the quarter ... VC countered with Jake Speakman (2), Derick Jones (4) and Tristan Bartoe (9) ... MY POY candidate Naylan Yates was shutdown (0) & pikced up 2 fouls in the period ... Vinton County 17 Waverly 16 end of one ... In Quarter 2 Vinton County handed the baton to Naylan Yates & Eli Griffith as the two Vikes outdistanced WHS 16-8 on their own ball ... for good measure 4 more Vikes sprinted the last lap in the relay - Speakman (2), Derick Jones (3), Bartoe (2), Damron (2) ... the race was over with VC netting 27 points in the quarter to the Tigers 8 ... Vinton County 44 Waverly 24 at intermission ... the feature race may have been over but Waverly continued to pressure full court , continued to push the ball for the final 16 minutes of the 2nd half ... the Tigers reeled off 23 points in the 3rd but failed to make up any ground as VC put up 23 as well ...Vinton County 67 Waverly 47 end of 3 ... The Vikings were apparently tired of running as they instead shortened the track by draining 5 triples in the 4th quarter (2 each by Yates and Jones with Antonio Mendes adding one for good measure) ... Vinton County 88 Waverly 66 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Waverly ...

Scoring ... Cade Marquez 19, Tret Rigsby 14, Easton Wolf 14, Ethan Adrian 9, Cobe Marquez 4, Clayton Howell 2, Grant Lybrook 2, Ethan Crabtree 2
3 Pointers .... 3/15 ... Easton Wolf 2, Ethan Adrian 1
FTs ........... 5/13
TOs ...... 11
PntP ........ 48
Points in Transition ...... 10

... Once Vinton County decided to play "small ball" - Waverly didn't have the fastest TEAM on the floor anymore ... not enough weapons to keep up with the Vikings ... Cade Marquez is a nice player for WHS along with Trey Rigsby ... a good season for the Tigers of Coach Robertson ... 17-7 ... Waverly returns everyone but Cade Marquez and Rigsby ... the well isn't dry - look for the Tigers to have a repeat season next year recordwise ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Vinton County ...

Scoring .... Derick Jones 22, Naylan Yates 20, Tristan Bartoe 15, Eli Griffith 14 (AND a onehanded flush dunk in the 2nd qtr) , Jake Speakman 10,
Antonio Mendes 3, Bryce Damron 2, Caleb Montgomery 2

3 Pointers ... 9/23 ... Derick Jones 4, Naylan Yates 3, Tristan Bartoe 1, Antonio Mendes 1
FTs ... 9/9
TOs ..... 12
PntP ... 50
Points in Transition .... 16

... VC put on a clinic in the open court ... getting to the rim for 50 points ... Waverly is quick but not Viking Roundball quick ... I was surprised the Tigers didn't turn the ball over more (only 11 TOs) BUT VC made them pay with 8 of those TOs resulting in points for the Vikings including the onehanded throwdown by Eli Griffith in the 2nd quarter that saw VC literally turn this one into a track meet outscoring WHS 27-8 ... game balls all around but if I had to pick a player who stepped up BIG for VC it would be Eli Griffith - 14 points in the paint ... totally into the game, ready to receive passes when the perimeter players for VC penetrated ... great game by EG tonight ... 5 players in double figures ... good solid win heading into the district final vs Unioto ...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Vinton County 88 Waverly 66 a final

Post by Orange and Brown »

VC put on a clinic! What a game to watch.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Boys Basketball”