Blast from the Past: First Official Elite 8

mattash
Site Admin

Blast from the Past: First Official Elite 8

Post by mattash »

Just dug this gem up.

... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh !!! turkey "samiches" and cold stuffing .... the only thing better is the start of another hoops season in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio ... we had both in the last 3 days sooooooo it can't get much better ... the first weekend of hs basketball some traditional "first" games, the complimentary "debut classics" .... it was ALL good in my book - went to Chillicothe Friday evening for a doubleheader followed by my tradition of taking in the Zane Trace Mickey D's Classic for 5 games on Saturday - GOTTA!!! LUV IT!!! AND I didn't get cold , wet, snowed on .... it was all inside , just like the story of the 3 bears - everything was "just right" - high school hoops has begun ... the First Official Elite 8 List is ready for your scrutiny ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Week(end) #1 ...

1. Zanesville 0-0 ... the Blue Devils of Coach Aronhalt did their Ohio State imitation by sitting at home watching others, in this case others hitting the hardwood ... the Cavs of Chillicothe cooperated by dropping their opening game at home vs Brookhaven HS 73-68 ... the loss by CHS moved ZHS into the #1 slot on the official "Week(end) #1" Elite 8 list ... the 'ville opens with Columbus East at home FRIDAY night (a change on our pocket schedule lineup)... will the Blue Devils return the favor of dropping their opening game a la the Cavaliers or does Logan Aronhalt, Cedric Harris, Andre Harris, Joey Prati & Co. decide they want to improve on that 20-3 season of last season ??? ... for now ZHS holds the one spot ...

2. Chillicothe 0-1 ... I know , I know the Cavs played an always tough Brookhaven team BUT the game WAS at Chilli, the Cavs ARE loaded, and CHS IS touted as THE team in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... HOWEVER the Cavs DID lose in OT 73-68 to Brookhaven on Saturday ... 0-1 to start the season ...Ray Chambers got out of the blocks BIG with a 29 point effort for the Cavs ... Chilli has a long "vacation" before playing their next game vs Gallia Academy on the road December 7th ...

3. Vinton County 1-0 ... Coach Combs' Vikings hit the road to take on Racine Southern as the big favorites ... the Vikes didn't disappoint putting a hurt on the Tornadoes 61-42 ... VC had Southern collared from the "git go" ... 18-5 after one quarter with the Big Man in the Middle Dustin Guthrie scoring the first 10 points of the game for VC ... 34-13 at intermission ... 48-24 after the 3rd ... game, set and match - no contesto for the Vikings ... everyone got on the board for VC with D. Guthrie leading the way with 21 points ... next up for Vinton County will be the 0-1 Trimble Tomcats on Friday this week ...

4. Oak Hill 1-0 ... Coach Persin's Oak Hill Boyz opened by beating Portsmouth Notre Dame 78-39 ... we know that Oak Hill is loaded this season BUT "napkin stats" from the game have been apparently sealed by Coach Norm - "not available at this time" ... what we do know for sure (info obtained through CSIseops) - Notre Dame was coached by Rick Hopkins ... ND had a lineup of Aaron Noel, Alex Glockner, Kevin Delabar, Alex Davis with Shane Slack/Taylor Fitch at the five spot ... for Oak Hill ? for certain the Oaks had the following lineup of players to chose from : 6-3 Drew Cannon/5-6 Jordan Strickland/6-6 Casey Love/6-3 Jesse Sloan/6-0 Kyle Ondera/5-7 Travis Belvins/6-0 Westen Hale/5-10 Dylan Lewis/6-2 Ryan Borden/5-8 Braiden McCoy/6-1 Daniel Parker/5-11 Michael Evans/6-1 Cody Massie/6-5 JD Hale/6-4 Cory Miller/6-2 Chris Dupree/6-1 Austin Brown/6-5 Cody Cannon ...NOW Norm could have used any and ALL of these on the Oaks Menu ??? ... we'll have to wait to see how the boyz handle the two games this week on the road @ Symmes Valley Tuesday, @ Valley on Friday ... MAYBE we'll have a "snitch" give up some "napkin stats" after this weeks action ...

also at the 4 spot ...

4. Huntington 1-0 ... the Huntsmen and the Kellough boyz beat the Roundtown Cirlceville Tigers 74-65 ... no "napkin stats" on this one ...

5. Fairland 0-0 ... Coach Belville's Dragons have 2 tough opening games on the road AT Green on the 27th ... AT Federal Hocking Saturday Dec. 1st ...

6. Wheelersburg 1-0 ... the Burg opened it's season on the road at Chesapeake ... the Pirates picked up the "W" 65-48 ... Coach Barrick picked up career win number 320 ... next up for WHS is a trip to Minford this Friday evening to take on the Falcons ..

7. Logan Elm 0-1 ... the Braves of Coach Stiverson gave the more talented Harvest Prep squad all they wanted and more on a neutral court at Zane Trace ... losing in OT 69-67 (1 call stood out as a 3 point swing when the ball was kicked out of bounds by HP but was given to HP who dropped a trey on LE - THE CALL ) great game ... outstanding effort and basketball by the Braves players - Steve Largent 21 points/19 in the 2nd half ... Tim Congrove 25/19 in the 1st half including 4 treys ... Zack Holbrook 9/Bryant Blake 7 ... Coach Stiverson has the horses to have yet another great campaign with LE ... probably not going to see a quicker team than Harvest Prep BUT the Braves next outing will be AT Hamilton Twp. Dec. 4th - yet another quick/athletic ball club ...

8. Rock Hill 0-1 /Warren Local 1-0 ... two teams passing on the list ... one the Rock Hill Redmen dropped their opener at Federal Hocking 63-62 ... Warren traveled to Morgan HS and stuffed the Raiders 60-39 ... RH has a chance to even their record at 1-1 as they take on one of those foreign teams Friday night AT Ashland HS, Ashland KY ... Coach Maddox and the Warriors have their annual get together with Fort Frye at the Warriordome Saturday December 1st ...

... TreeHugger Wannabees ...

Waverly ... Tigers move up w/o tipping it off !!! what's up with that ??? a Friday night contest @ South Webster will see if WHS deserves to be within sight of the Elite 8 ...

Portsmouth

South Point ... 1-0 blistered Valley 83-56 ... Todd Mayo 29 pts/6 stls/4 blks ... Corey Taylor 25 pts/16 rbs/3 blks ... Beau Weed 14 pts/5 assts/4stls ... Kyle Hughes 8 rbs ...

Zane Trace ... 1-0 with a W over Grandview 54-47 ... Korey Keister 17 pts/3 treys ... Beau Dailey 15 pts/1 trey ... Matt Miller (very solid ball player) 15 pts ...

Ironton ... won't play game one until Dec 4th ...

Piketon 0-1 ... losing to Greenfield McClain 60-72 ... very physical team called for a legit 32 fouls vs GM ... led by Cody Smith 22/Jordan Brabson 15 ... take on Northwest/Unioto this week ...

Federal Hocking 1-0 ... knocked off preseason #6 Rock Hill 63-62 ... take on Belpre at home Friday night Nov. 30th

Greenfield McClain 1-1 ... beat a talented Piketon team 72-60 before losing to D1 Reynoldsburg 41-32 in back-to-back games ... vs Piketon Jeremie Webster 25/Alex Anderson 13/Lucas Polley 11/Vinnie Zollo 7 with great play from Jordan Ralph ...

Washington CH 1-0 ... Coach Shaffer has a good tandem in Travis Shaw on the perimeter and Alex Wilson ... AND the endorsement of trojandave ...

North Adams 1-0 winner vs Northwest 72-61

Belpre 0-1 ... a loser on the road at Fort Frye ...

Waterford

Adena 1-0 ... beat on Coach Pat Hines' WhiteOak boyz 50-28 ...led by Clay Roll's 23 points ...

Coal Grove

Fairfield Union 2-0 ... lost a lot last year to graduation ... will definitely be watching FU this season ...

River Valley 1-0 ... beat the youngster laden Reedsville Eastern Eagles 75-69 ...

... Teams on the End Table ...

Chesapeake 0-1 ... lost to Wheelersburg 48-65 ...

Unioto 0-1 ... 65-74 to an athletic Hamilton Twp team ... Curtis Baker will be a beast for the Shermans 25pts/6 treys with 5 in the last quarter , Bower is a good PG and the big man in the middle Kimsey moves well, catches the ball, AND can put it down 12 points vs HTHS ... UHS will not be a given on the schedule ...

Miller 1-0 ... 66-54 winners vs Millersport ... Dustin Householder scored a career high 36 points/3 treys ...

South Gallia

Alexander 1-0 ... beat a not very good Trimble team 59-53 ...

Circleville 0-1 ... a loser to top 8 team Huntington at the Chilli Showcase ...

Meigs ... take on Gallia Academy Friday night the 30th...

Logan ... on the road at St. Chucks Friday/at home vs a not very good Bloom Carroll team on Saturday ...

Reedsville Eastern 0-1 ... lost to River Valley 69-75 ... I still like the sophomore group on the Eagles led by Jake Lynch ...

SouthEastern Ross 0-1 ... lost 41-59 to Cin. Clark Mont. HS

Marietta 0-1 ... lost at Cambridge 46-53 ...

Gallia Academy

Jackson 1-0 ... picked up the first "W" for Coach Hurst as the Ironmen's head coach vs Minford 71 -61

... that's how I see 'em after the first Week(end) of play Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line here in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio ...

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Re: Blast from the Past: First Official Elite 8

Post by mattash »

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I see a MLB player that nearly made the all-star game last season

MTRay23
Freshman Team

Post by MTRay23 »

Travis Shaw that was mentioned for Washington CH has started the last two years at 3rd base and 1st base for the Boston Red Sox. He just got traded this offseason to the Milwaukee Brewers

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whoa !!!!!! ... pfloyd was still just a youngin' in 2007 ! LOL ok maybe not ... would have been at the "half century" mark ... the good thing is mattash - that many many of the hoops friendships I made back THEN I still have now ... thanks for the opportunity to post on your website about a sport I totally enjoy watching and sharing my knowledge of from around Southern/Southeastern Ohio ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Also a Todd Mayo sighting and also a mention that now resides in jail

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I totally enjoy following ALL 72 teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line BUT I do miss the day when I covered fewer teams BUT gave more in depth weekly rundowns of the Elite 8 ... the players, the games played during the Week that Was ... just not enough time in the day to keep track of 72 AND do weekly rundowns with names of players, game stats ... it was fun though ! someday I won't have my day job and I'll work fulltime for mattash for double the $$$$ I'm getting now LOL ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Combs/Maddox/Stiverson/Barrick.....still atop the game

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote:Combs/Maddox/Stiverson/Barrick.....still atop the game

... I92 ... and some folks still question why I give so much respect to Vinton County, Warren, Logan Elm, Eastern Pike (even though at that time Coach Barrick was at the helm of the Burg) not matter where these guys take their coaching talents they are winners, they know what it takes to win in high school hoops ... there are many more that can be added to your list Ironman92 AND there are some very good "relative" youngsters out there that do it right as well - Coach Huffer for Chilli, Coach Marrow for Jackson , Coach Eversole at Fairfield Union ... I can even see some outstanding head coaches in the making - in the pipeline - Coach Conner Scott JV coach at Chillicothe will be an excellent varsity head coach before he is done ... I'm getting old I92 LOL ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Glad I was a big part of getting you on here

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote:Glad I was a big part of getting you on here

You definitely were I92 ... I had no idea anything about SEOPs ... we were on the Huddle for so long - then it became a money making venture for those folks ... sure could use you to takeover keeping track of ALL of the records for the teams again though LOL ! ... We've known each other via the computer for a very long time ! BUT I don't believe we have ever met have we ?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Maybe a quick pass by intro at the convo many years back...but I believe we crossed paths more back when I was in high school on the golf team and I believe you were helping out and often around Logan's team.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

That may be ... I was the assistant golf coach at Logan for 20 years ... good times - even better golfers when the SEOAL was a full league ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yeah, you are old

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Time sure does pass fast. Good stuff then and even better now.
Last edited by noreply66 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

WOW!
I can't believe it's been this long lol
You are one of the main reasons I signed up for SEOP's in the first place. I loved how you are able to break down teams and your famous "napkin" stats.
You are truly a legend!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Orange and Brown wrote:WOW!
You are one of the main reasons I signed up for SEOP's in the first place. I loved how you are able to break down teams and your famous "napkin" stats.
You are truly a legend!

O&B I think you just officially defined "old" = "legend" LOL !!!! - perfect ... and "thank you" ... IF "I" have in any way, shape or form gotten viewers/posters to sign onto SEOPs or to "appreciate what all of the coaches/players do" and I mean ALL of them from the Elite 8 to the Teams on the End Table - ALL of these kids, coaches work their butts off before , during and after games representing themselves, their teams and their schools ... it's the best show around no matter where you go to watch a game, who you see - it's about those kids and the game itself ...

bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

Orange and Brown wrote:WOW!
You are truly a legend!
Same for me. He is indeed a legend!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

About the same time I got my first ban hammer :evil:

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The first game of Coach Hoops' tenure at Unioto with a mention! That game pretty much summed up that entire first season for us lol

Pfloyd, I'm glad that we've become friends through these posts and this site. You've provided great reading and great support/advice for off the court as well!

Return to “Boys Basketball”