Fairfield Union 62 Meigs 53 ... Vinton County 75 Marietta 62

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Fairfield Union 62 Meigs 53 ... Vinton County 75 Marietta 62

Post by pfloyd »

Fairfield Union 62
Meigs 53 a final

After Friday night's games where both higher seeds (Sheridan & Warren) were beaten in 2 great basketball games by the lower seeds ( Athens & Logan Elm) ... Saturday evening's "get-togethers" at Jim's Gym were tossups ... on paper Fairfield Union should have won ... the same with Vinton County in the nightcap "should have won" ... order in the high school hoops world was restored as BOTH higher seeds #'s 2 & 1 BOTH punched their own tickets to the Convo & Basketball Thirty with hard earned "W's" tonight in the Logan D2 Sectional finals ...

... Fairfield Union came into the game being one of the most "complete" teams in the SouthEast District imo - quality PG in Evan Conley, the best big man in the Southeast District in Colin Woodside ... perimeter shooters in Conley/Brad Miller/Lucas Thompson/Hayden Price .. quality role players in Jack Woolshire/Spencer Conrad ... flashy ? nope ... they can play in the halfcourt offensively, can play solid TEAM "man to man" D ... will push the ball with Conley/Price/Miller/Thompson ... a quality , all around TEAM ... this afternoon FU beat a game Meigs ballclub in workman like fashion ... opening with a 3 point 1st quarter advantage (11-8) and simply played "solid" at both ends to gradually extended the lead throughout the contest ...

... The only game I had the opportunity to see Meigs play was very early when the Marauders were in their 0-4 start - Zach Bartrum was not in the lineup yet ... Meigs showed that they have a good ballclub just not enough firepower to overcome a team with the full compliment of weapons - Fairfield Union ... Christian Mattox (junior... 20 points) and sophomore Zach Bartrum (18 points) both return for Meigs along with sharpshooting freshman swingman Weston Baer ( 8 pts) ... MHS missed an inside game - usually reliable offensively Jared Kennedy was held to just 4 points on the game and Luke Musser was shutdown completely (0 pts) ... Meigs played FU even up EXCEPT for quarter #3 coming out of intermission - the Falcons turned the pressure up defensively holding Meigs to 1 fg and 3/4 shooting from the FT line - 5 points while FU led by Evan Conley's 7 points in the quarter put up 17 points to take a 13 point lead 45-32 after 3 ... MHS outscored FU in the final period 21-17 but it was too little to late Fairfield Union 62 Meigs 53 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Meigs ...

Scoring ... Christian Mattox 20, Zach Batrum 18, Weston Baer 8, Jared Kennedy 4, Dillon Mahr 3
3 Pointers .... 3/13 ... Weston Baer 2, Christain Mattox 1
FTs ..... 12/15
TOs ..... 13
PntP ... 24
Points in Transition ... 4

... I had the pleasure of being joined on radio row this afternoon for the FU vs Meigs game by Coach Carl Wolfe & his wife ... both were knowledgeable of SEOP preps , both were familiar with pfloyd ! ... I enjoyed the time spent with 2 fine Meigs fans and people as both were/are very proud of grandson Weston Baer on the Marauders ... Meigs was hurt the whole game by the lack of offensive output from inside (Kennedy/Mahr/Musser) - but you don't have to look to far to find what happened as the FU defensive effort across the board was outstanding ... MHS will have a good nucleus to build on for next season with Mattox, Bartrum,Baer ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Fairfield Union ...

Scoring ... Evan Conley 19, Colin Woodside 14, Lucas Thompson 12, Jack Wolshire 7, Brad Miller 7, Hayden Price 3
3 Pointers ....... 7/22 ... Lucas Thompson 2, Evan Conley 2, Jack Wolshire 1, Brad Miller 1, Hayden Price 1
FTs .... 15/20
TOs .... 10
PntP .... 18
Points in Transition ... 0

... I was impressed in the Falcon D all game ... the near shutout pitched by the D in the 3rd is EXACTLY what allows a TEAM to "survive and advance" in the post season ... Offensively FU continued to support my "complete team " label I've pinned on them : 21 points from behind the three point arc, 18 points in the paint, taking 20 FTs tells me that FU is taking the ball to the rim and getting fouled - 15 FTs made ... being able to handle pressure/on ball pressure from the opponent is a must in the one & done season as you have to be able to "get shots on goal" making each possession a valuable commodity in the post season - FU does that, only 10 TOs in the game with 5 of those coming in the 4th quarter ... I continue to be impressed by Colin Woodside in the paint - the young man gets hammered for 32 minutes every game - I have never seen his expression change whether he is taken to the floor, was called for a phantom foul or he has made or missed a shot down low - HE.JUST.DOES.IT ... when with some teams players question every call ... retaliate for getting a body put on them ... CW takes care of "bidness" is a great example for any parent to use to show their son how the game should be played ... Best of luck to FU as they are on their way to Basketball Thirty at the Convo to take on the Chillicothe Cavaliers ...

Vinton County 75
Marietta 62 a final

... this was the hyperactive game of the night ... lots of action .. two teams which can get after it defensively and push the ball offensively ... Marietta as the "play in" team having to beat New Lex to get the opportunity to take on the #1 seed Vikings of Coach Combs - lucky Tigers right ... pregame talk from the MHS contingent was that the Tigers were going to be physical with VC - and they were ! - nothing timid about Marietta in this one - a body on a body every time VC crossed the paint, hands everywhere, a stiff arm here and there, it was all good as the Vikings were clearly the better team, as quick as Marietta is/was Vinton County was quicker with its' 4 guards - Tristan Bartoe/Naylan Yates/Derick Jones and Jake Speakman ... MHS was scrappy, overplayed every passing lane, jumped every double team opportunity fullcourt in the attempt to turn this one into a "havoc ball" /scramble for 32 minutes ... some of the pressure/overplaying paid off - VC committed 24 turnovers for the game but that was a wash as VC turned Marietta over 24 times themselves ... when I looked at the post game napkin stats this one wasn't really very close as the Vikings were on top at all stops : 14-9 VC after 1 ... pushed out to a 10 point advantage at intermission 34-24 VC ... the Vikes outdistanced the Tigers +6 in the 3rd 59-43 VC after 3 ... the 4th quarter seemed to last 32 minutes by itself with FTs shot by both teams ... VC committed 10 TOs and MHS 7 of their own in the final period ... VC hit their season average of ppg with 75 (the highest ppg average in VC hoops history) Marietta finished with 62 ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Marietta ...

Scoring ... Isaac Danford 16, Trent Dawson 14, Zach Deskins 11, Turner Hill 7, Travis Moore 6, Gage Herb 5, Danny Hiser 3
3 Pointers .... 5/14 ... Zach Deskins 2, Danny Hiser 1, Gage Herb 1, Turner Hill 1
FTs ...... 15/26
TOs ..... 24
PntP ..... 26
Points in Transition ... 6

... Marietta descriptors - quick, hardnosed, physical , tenacious ... they get after you for the entire 32 minutes whether they are up or down 20 points ... I was impressed with the Tigers LAST YEAR in the Logan Sectional under the guidance of Coach Duckworth ... this year that same tenacity was there, the organization was more of an AAU team vs a TEAM oriented high school team ... can't fault them for any lack of hustle they get after you ... congratulations to the Tigers on a good season ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Vinton County

Scoring ... Tristan Bartoe 24, Derick Jones 19, Jake Speakman 11, Bryce Damron 8, Naylan Yates 6, Caleb Montgomery 5, Eli Griffith 2
3 Pointers ... 5/11 ... Derick Jones 3, Tristan Bartoe 1, Naylan Yates 1
FTs ..... 20/30
TOs ..... 24
PntP ..... 40
Points in Transition ... 4

... How many times can Bryce Damron say he outscored Naylan Yates ? happened tonight Big Daddy (borrowed from Bob Grillo) 8 points Naylan Yates 6 ... BD don't let Naylan live this one down !!!! ... BD played an excellent game in the paint both offensively and defensively - each time I watch VC I come away having to acknowledge how Damron has played within himself all season, he hasn't tried to do anything more than he CAN do - which is a major positive imo ... VC has 4 big time scorers that a defending team MUST account for every game ... you put your best defenders on who ? Bartoe then Yates or Yates then Bartoe ... if a team is lucky they have a 3rd defender who can make life hard on Derick Jones ... BUT VC has Jake Speakman behind door number 4 ! ALL 4 players can/will put 20 points in the scorebook on any night they suit up ... tonight Marietta was able to take away Naylan Yates offensively - holding MY league POY to 6 points on the night ... the magic number for most good teams is that they have 3 quality scorers that defending teams must stop - Marietta stopped 1 ... Jake Speakman/Bryce Damron both stepped up - Yates is an 18 ppg scorer tonight only 6 BUT add JS's 11 + BD's 8 and you get NY's 18+1 pts for the game throw in his own 6 now you have 24 out of your one scorer bundle/ Barstoe with 24 and Jones's 19 ... you still get your good team's 3 scorers ...

... what I see as a Vinton County weakness is on the boards ... IF they run up against the team with size/quicks in the post and size at the forward spots ... let's just say it will be interesting ... as it is the Vikings are on their way to the Convo next week !

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Fairfield Union 62 Meigs 53 ... Vinton County 75 Marietta 62

Post by Dundas »

Great read, as always! Was nice to see you tonight Floyd!

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Great write up, I am proud of my Meigs Boys, they gave it there all. I'm one of those stay up all night parent that was watching Fairfield Union games on youtube with my tablet handy and of course thinking in my mind what I would do if I was the coach. I knew that Conley and Woodside were gonna be the determining factor of the game. I liked the Defense we played on Cozart in Athens face guarding him, I wish we would have face guarded Conley during periods of the game. I would have forced the ball in the hands of Miller and made him beat us, I feel he was the lesser threat from what I seen on film.

I would have also liked to have ween Baer in the game more, 8 points in 2nd quarter and brought a spark to the team, but didnt see the court many minutes at all in the 2nd half. Musser and Mahr was having a bad game and they weren't helping us any, So I think a change would have been good, especially in the 3rd period. I also noticed Mahr was playing with a hurt wrist the entire 2nd half, he came down on it hard and could see him shaking it the remainder of the game.

I would have also liked to have seen more confidence in the boys be given when we were down 9 points with 43 seconds left to go. ANYTHING could happen in that time,

But those are just my thoughts, and I'm definitely not a Coach at the High School level....lol

I hate that all our Seniors had an off night to end their careers, but I'm sure they are already looking to Baseball and Track Season.

Next year Hoops will be interesting for sure for Meigs.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Dundas same here buddy ! always good to talk shop with you and the VC folks ... this is what I love about the post season ! all of the folks I run into all season are all in one place ! LOL ... got to talk at length with Coach Mitchem from Warren, saw Coach Maddox; go to meet Coach Carl Wolfe & his wife ... Coach JD Secrest for Marietta owes me for helping out with the LHS Wifi LOL ... always a pleasure to shake hands with the Fairfield Union folks post game tonight - Coach Helber, Coach Eversole, Coach Goodyear "the Younger" ... Mr. Woodside ! always a pleasure to talk hoops with you sir ! always good to see you courtside! ... gave my congratulations to the Vinton County staff as well - Coach Combs, Coach Yates, Coach Carpenter, Coach Kight, Caoch Hale - these folks always are willing to take the time to say hello - good people down McArthur way ... now it is off to the Convo ! loooking forward to touching bases with Lou Horvath - the voice of Basketball Thirty ! ... along with the usual cast of characters who find their way up to pfloyd's Cheap Seat location in the Convo ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

tvc_fan wrote:Great write up, I am proud of my Meigs Boys, they gave it there all. I'm one of those stay up all night parent that was watching Fairfield Union games on youtube with my tablet handy and of course thinking in my mind what I would do if I was the coach. I knew that Conley and Woodside were gonna be the determining factor of the game. I liked the Defense we played on Cozart in Athens face guarding him, I wish we would have face guarded Conley during periods of the game. I would have forced the ball in the hands of Miller and made him beat us, I feel he was the lesser threat from what I seen on film.

I would have also liked to have ween Baer in the game more, 8 points in 2nd quarter and brought a spark to the team, but didnt see the court many minutes at all in the 2nd half. Musser and Mahr was having a bad game and they weren't helping us any, So I think a change would have been good, especially in the 3rd period. I also noticed Mahr was playing with a hurt wrist the entire 2nd half, he came down on it hard and could see him shaking it the remainder of the game.

I would have also liked to have seen more confidence in the boys be given when we were down 9 points with 43 seconds left to go. ANYTHING could happen in that time,

But those are just my thoughts, and I'm definitely not a Coach at the High School level....lol

I hate that all our Seniors had an off night to end their careers, but I'm sure they are already looking to Baseball and Track Season.

... tvc_fan ... the Meigs TEAM imo opinion was THE turn around team of the year as far I'm concerned based on what I saw ... I regret I DIDN'T go see them during the last 3rd of the regular season - as I have posted I saw them vs Warren at Meigs during the 0-4 start but I didn't see them again until tonight vs FU ... a very good basketball TEAM ...

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

pfloyd wrote:
tvc_fan wrote:Great write up, I am proud of my Meigs Boys, they gave it there all. I'm one of those stay up all night parent that was watching Fairfield Union games on youtube with my tablet handy and of course thinking in my mind what I would do if I was the coach. I knew that Conley and Woodside were gonna be the determining factor of the game. I liked the Defense we played on Cozart in Athens face guarding him, I wish we would have face guarded Conley during periods of the game. I would have forced the ball in the hands of Miller and made him beat us, I feel he was the lesser threat from what I seen on film.

... tvc_fan ... the Meigs TEAM imo opinion was THE turn around team of the year as far I'm concerned based on what I saw ... I regret I DIDN'T go see them during the last 3rd of the regular season - as I have posted I saw them vs Warren at Meigs during the 0-4 start but I didn't see them again until tonight vs FU ... a very good basketball TEAM ...

Yeah it took us a little while to establish an identity and change some positioning around. I look forward to a good season next year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

tvc_fan wrote:
pfloyd wrote:

Yeah it took us a little while to establish an identity and change some positioning around. I look forward to a good season next year.

... with the 3 quality returnees in Mattox/Bartrum & Baer ... Meigs will get it's due respect in the preseason rankings AND get more than 1 regular season "eye test" on the "pfloyd 2017-18 tour" ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I almost forgot to mention that I had the pleasure of meeting the radio crew for Vinton County with Bob Grillo ! good guys - I even overheard Mr. Grillo mention pfloyd on the broadcast ... they seem to have a great time doing the broadcasts ... and he said he reads my pfloyd posts here on SEOPS ! ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”