Final Vinton County 88 Waverly 66

Sports-nut
JV Team

Re: Convo: #1 Vinton County vs. #4 Waverly 3/4 (7PM)

Post by Sports-nut »

hateraid wrote:
Sports-nut wrote:
hateraid wrote:IMO this is the most lopsided D II game at the Convo. I'd be surprised if VC's starters see more than 2-3 mins in the 4th quarter. As I said in a different thread .... I feel Waverly fans are mistaking a good game vs Gallia will translate to a "w" against VC. Gallia and VC are light years apart when it comes to talent.
Your lopsided opinion is based on what? Have you seen the Tigers play?
Saw both games vs Oak Hill. Anymore questions??
So you're basing your lopsided opinion on two single digit point losses to one of the best teams in southern Ohio? Oh I see your you're idiotic logic now. :lol:

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

You asked if I'd seen waverly play. You got your answer. We will see who the idiot is Saturday night when you're sleeping on a wet pillow from all your tears. Waverly just don't have the depth or talent based on what I saw. Sorry truth hurts sometimes. Just be happy to see a game at the convo although it will be over before you get your first hot dog down.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

Wow I guess you can't read either. Check my post again. I asked two questions. Are from Wheelersburg, cause you act like one of them?

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Excited to see Waverly play at the convo again. Such a fun place to watch a game or two. The nice seats alone are enough to entice me to make the trip.

Waverly is the underdog. There's no disputing that. But we'll bring a big crowd, our kids will play hard and we'll see what happens. No one gave us much of a chance when we won a district championship just a few years ago.

I've been reading and posting on this site for several years. Here's what I've noticed. When discussing an upcoming game most of the fans from both schools are somewhat guarded and even humble in their comments. It's usually a kid or someone from another school that stirs the pot or makes crass comments.

One question. This game is scheduled to begin at 7:00. Are there earlier games at the convo Saturday?

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Our game is at 7 and Logan Elm and Unioto play afterwards at 8:15. Didn't see any earlier games posted.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Sports-nut wrote:Wow I guess you can't read either. Check my post again. I asked two questions. Are from Wheelersburg, cause you act like one of them?
You asked if I had seen them. The answer was yes..not once but twice. You asked where I got my opinion "Waverly just don't have the depth or talent based on what I saw". Maybe you need to learn to read. :roll: :roll: :roll:

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

toast wrote:Excited to see Waverly play at the convo again. Such a fun place to watch a game or two. The nice seats alone are enough to entice me to make the trip.

Waverly is the underdog. There's no disputing that. But we'll bring a big crowd, our kids will play hard and we'll see what happens. No one gave us much of a chance when we won a district championship just a few years ago.

I've been reading and posting on this site for several years. Here's what I've noticed. When discussing an upcoming game most of the fans from both schools are somewhat guarded and even humble in their comments. It's usually a kid or someone from another school that stirs the pot or makes crass comments.

One question. This game is scheduled to begin at 7:00. Are there earlier games at the convo Saturday?
Who didn't give Waverly much of a chance? Lol. They had one of the best players in not only the SE District, but the State and a very good supporting cast around him. They were the 2 seed in the SE Sectional, behind the 1 seed Chillicothe, who also won a District Championship.

This game is at 7:00 and then the next game starts around 8:45, which will be a long night for fans.

Saturday night could be a massive crowd at the Convo, with 4 passionate fan bases who all travel well. Should be a really fun evening.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

"Who didn't give Waverly much of a chance? Lol. They had one of the best players in not only the SE District, but the State and a very good supporting cast around him. They were the 2 seed in the SE Sectional, behind the 1 seed Chillicothe, who also won a District Championship."

I don't remember the seedings but I remember the thread on Waverly vs Fairland. Most everyone had Fairland winning the game. I believe their record was something around 20-2. Waverly had 5 or 6 losses if memory serves me right. Fairland was absolutely loaded and they were the favorite. Pfloyd gave a nice breakdown of the game and also had Fairland winning. It was a fair and accurate analysis.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

toast wrote:"Who didn't give Waverly much of a chance? Lol. They had one of the best players in not only the SE District, but the State and a very good supporting cast around him. They were the 2 seed in the SE Sectional, behind the 1 seed Chillicothe, who also won a District Championship."

I don't remember the seedings but I remember the thread on Waverly vs Fairland. Most everyone had Fairland winning the game. I believe their record was something around 20-2. Waverly had 5 or 6 losses if memory serves me right. Fairland was absolutely loaded and they were the favorite. Pfloyd gave a nice breakdown of the game and also had Fairland winning. It was a fair and accurate analysis.
I agree

And had some kids not been sick the Tigers more than likely would have won the Regional semi game.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

I am hoping for a good game I just don't see that happening. VC is very deep and has 3 players (Bartoe, Jones and Yates) that can single handedly take over a game with a 4th (Speakman) who just keeps getting better as the year goes on. If you shut 1 down then their are 2 others that can/will take advantage. Add to this the daily improvement of 6'8" Damron and one of the best coaches in SEO.....

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

toast wrote:"Who didn't give Waverly much of a chance? Lol. They had one of the best players in not only the SE District, but the State and a very good supporting cast around him. They were the 2 seed in the SE Sectional, behind the 1 seed Chillicothe, who also won a District Championship."

Waverly was 17-5. Fairland, at best, was 18-4. They were both 14-4 at the time of the seeding. Fairland was the 4 seed, behind a 12-5 Unioto team. This all took 45 seconds to research.

I won't argue on the thread, because I don't remember topics about Unioto from 2 weeks ago, let alone about Waverly from 5 years ago lol

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Last game VC played, Yates had an off night scoring , but rebounded and played awesome D. Speakman and Damron combined chipped in for double figures to go along with Tristan's 24 and Jones 19. Vikings always seem to have 2 around twenty in most games. Haven't seen Waverly play, but VC has a lot of potential scorers. Can't wait til Thursday to head to the Convo to watch some quality basketball. Then to return Saturday and cheer my Vikings on!!

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Rumor has it VC has lobbied to have this game cancelled. Apparently Waverly is such an inferior opponent that the OHSAA has awarded them the victory and moved them to the championship game at which time they will evaluate that opponent and possibly move them onto the Regionals based on talent alone.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Why, instead of being a ****, don't we post what you know about your team. Leading scorers, good defensively, rebounding, speed etc. Teams get this far because they are playing good basketball. Going to be some great basketball starting Thursday.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

hbk1999 wrote:Rumor has it VC has lobbied to have this game cancelled. Apparently Waverly is such an inferior opponent that the OHSAA has awarded them the victory and moved them to the championship game at which time they will evaluate that opponent and possibly move them onto the Regionals based on talent alone.
...and there it is. The lame post in about every tourney thread..

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Wow. Who knew this was such as serious thread. It is a game played by children. You folks need to lighten up.

Supposed to be fun, humorless superfans in this thread I guess.

VC must be quite the place. Best of luck to both teams.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Is VC the favorite? Yes. Do they have seasoned talent that has seen this stage before? Yes. Should they win this game. Yes. BUT let me take some of the VC fans back to last year.

Unioto was, imo, the most talented team in the SE district last year. We played them in the foundation game last season and they absolutely waxed us. They put together an incredible season. We met them again last year IN THIS GAME. The district semi final. They were the better team. More talented. Had the better record and the (to that point) better season. They probably would have beaten us 8 or 9 out of 10 times. We all know what happened. Upsets can and DO happen. VC may be better on paper BUT they MUST come to play each game or else they'll find themselves wondering about "what if". This may be the best team in school history but Waverly doesn't care. They'll be ready. We need to be as well.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

My gut feeling is Waverly keeps this wayyyy closer than people think. Waverly is dangerous, they play incredibly hard!

Vinton 68
Waverly 62

Watching SE Ohio basketball
king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Waverly by 2, 58-56. They have the speed to slow down the VC offense, and the Convo rim creature will force the Vikings to have to attack the rim, thus playing into Waverlys strength of on the ball defense.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

king kong wrote:Waverly by 2, 58-56. They have the speed to slow down the VC offense, and the Convo rim creature will force the Vikings to have to attack the rim, thus playing into Waverlys strength of on the ball defense.
No offense but attacking the rim is VC's strength and what they do best. If this happens it gets ugly quick.

Return to “Boys Basketball”