#2 Fairfield Union(61) @ (44)#3 Chillicothe

Ohio1234
JV Team

#2 Fairfield Union(61) @ (44)#3 Chillicothe

Post by Ohio1234 »

Thoughts???

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Convo: #2 Fairfield Union vs. #3 Chillicothe 3/2 (8PM)

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Cavaliers are back at the Convo! It has been a few years since we made it down rt50. The Cavaliers are HOTTTT right now.

I have seen FU play once this year at Unioto. This is going to be a great game. Let's get this one started! Thoughts?

Cavaliers by 7

Bud07
Freshman Team

Re: Convo: #2 Fairfield Union vs. #3 Chillicothe 3/2 (8PM)

Post by Bud07 »

Should be a good game, but the falcons Defense is to good and they have to many weapons offensively. I'll take FU

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Can't really judge FU on that game against Unioto, they didn't have Evan Conley in tow yet, so while they were really good in that game, I'm sure they are better now.

However, Chillicothe was a completely different beast against the U than anyone else was in the regular season.

Two different styles that will clash in a titanic battle. This should be a really fun game to watch, completely worth the price of admission. Good luck to both teams!

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

FU lost to Logan and St. Charles is that correct? Anyone see any of these loses? If so what were your thoughts on why they lost.
I think, and I am beating this drum here I know, chilli's sos really helps them here. FU could the 5th best team Chilli has seen. I think this helps them a ton.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

This should be a real good game.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

CavalierAlum05 wrote:FU lost to Logan and St. Charles is that correct? Anyone see any of these loses? If so what were your thoughts on why they lost.
I think, and I am beating this drum here I know, chilli's sos really helps them here. FU could the 5th best team Chilli has seen. I think this helps them a ton.
Chillis schedule is 100% helpful. They played a great great schedule and challenged themselves big time. You can see the last couple weeks how that has paid off for them.

I was at neither loss, so I probably shouldnt speak on them, but I know st Charles had a 6'10" kid who played really well and they're a really nice team. Logan game, sounded like fu couldn't hit the bored side of the barn, and Logan's defense had a lot to do with it.

I don't think anyone in the district WANTED to have to play chilli early in this tourney.

Having said all that, fu is playing really well and has a really good team that can play a variety of styles and plays exceptional defense. Plus a really good coaching staff. Fu will be ready next Thursday.

falconbball
Riding the Bench

Post by falconbball »

CavalierAlum05 wrote:FU lost to Logan and St. Charles is that correct? Anyone see any of these loses? If so what were your thoughts on why they lost.
the loss vs St. charles, they have the 6'10 kid that made it tough inside but they also have a 6'7 kid that I think is better than the bigger kid, st charles is an all boys division 1 school, with that they also have a couple guards that couldnt miss. They also play solid defense. The Logan game , not putting it all on the officials but they were not consistant, and FU didnt play well, also minus conley. Conley is a very quick and can shoot kind of guard he has brought depth to this team. FU has mutliple scorers very balanced, alot of scorers in double figures all year long, all can hit the 3 even woodside can shoot but doesnt come out much lol. Not sure how you can defend all of that!! if you zone up they can beat you from 3 if you man up woodside can dominate the paint and kick when doubled.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

What does Chillicothe start? FU has by far the best post play in the area

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Raider6309 wrote:What does Chillicothe start? FU has by far the best post play in the area
1. Brandon Maughmer 6'1" junior
2. Jordan Johnson 6'0" senior
3. Seth Barnes 6'3" senior
4. Will Roderick 6'3" junior
5. Hunter Coffland 6'5" senior

6. Simon Roderick 6'3" junior
7. Jason Benson 6'4 junior
8. Khalil Danzy 5'9" senior
9. Jaevon Maughmer 6'1" Freshman

These are all guesses based on the 10 or so times I've seen them. The starting 5 is exact but the heights are give or take. Post play is not Chillicothe's Specialty but don't sleep on Hunter that kid is the heart of this team and gives it 110% every night. He's also gone up against an OSU commit center and UNC commit center.
I think Chillicothe's pressure defense keeps us in this ball game. If we continue to play like we have there's o doubt we will have a shot at winning. This is going to be a great game! Good luck to both schools. I can't wait for Basketball 30!!!!

Bobbabooey
Waterboy

Post by Bobbabooey »

I'm surprised there's not more talk about this game. IMO, this is the best match up of the week.

Ohio1234
JV Team

Post by Ohio1234 »

F.U. Is a solid team but won't throw anything at Chilli that they haven't seen. Maughmer has been playing play maker and distributer the last few week. I think in order for Chillicothe to win Maughmer will need to be at around 15-20, 8, 5. Seth Barnes will need to have around 15 but The X factor for the cavs is Jordan Johnson if his 3 ball is falling and Chilli plays loose Chillicothe wins this game 62-57 ! Their pressure defense is key . Go cavs back at the Convo for the first time in a while!

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

Ohio1234 wrote:F.U. Is a solid team but won't throw anything at Chilli that they haven't seen. Maughmer has been playing play maker and distributer the last few week. I think in order for Chillicothe to win Maughmer will need to be at around 15-20, 8, 5. Seth Barnes will need to have around 15 but The X factor for the cavs is Jordan Johnson if his 3 ball is falling and Chilli plays loose Chillicothe wins this game 62-57 ! Their pressure defense is key . Go cavs back at the Convo for the first time in a while!
The difference is I believe FU is very good at throwing that stuff Chilli has seen before. They are an excellent defensive team and they throw the ball inside. Once they throw it inside if you double they make 3's if you don't double........Well then you are probably in trouble because Woodside will hurt you! All of them can shoot! The X factor is their PG Conley, he is quick and is a knock down shooter. Between him and Thompson they create a lot. This is a very good team that does normal things very well.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

falconbball wrote:
the loss vs St. charles, they have the 6'10 kid that made it tough inside but they also have a 6'7 kid that I think is better than the bigger kid, st charles is an all boys division 1 school, with that they also have a couple guards that couldnt miss. They also play solid defense. The Logan game , not putting it all on the officials but they were not consistant, and FU didnt play well, also minus conley. Conley is a very quick and can shoot kind of guard he has brought depth to this team. FU has mutliple scorers very balanced, alot of scorers in double figures all year long, all can hit the 3 even woodside can shoot but doesnt come out much lol. Not sure how you can defend all of that!! if you zone up they can beat you from 3 if you man up woodside can dominate the paint and kick when doubled.
This is the first post I've seen that '"not putting it all on the officials but they were not consistant" card. Wow what can I say to that . Well The Logan Coaching Staff came up with a winning Defensive scheme and the players executed it to perfection . That is the story and if The Cavs do this they will be hard to beat . I was pulling for FU and may still but these type of comments leave a bad taste . FU has better class than that . Go Falcons !!??!!!!????

Bobbabooey
Waterboy

Post by Bobbabooey »

IMO, good guard play will almost always trump a good big. Sounds like both have good back courts. Let's see who shows up. I think FU is the better team but this can go either way.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Bud07: I believe your posting was very definitive and accurate on Fairfield Union. They are a very well coached team who plays very consistently over 4 quarters because for the most part they can counter what you are doing defensively within the context of their offense. They don't score off their defense or look to run for cheap buckets. They want to run their sets or system and they are very good at it. I would bet their points per possession is at the top of the SE district.

Conley definitely makes them better --- especially now that he has played 12 Games and even though he comes off the bench -- he plays starter minutes and lately has started the 3rd quarter which Fairfield Union has owned vs BC and Meigs.

So now we get a matchup of this team filled with good basketball players who play mostly unselfishly and run a great system vs perhaps the most dangerous team in the district.

As Joey Porter said.... can't wait!'

You are correct it was Bart Scott. I remember that they had just beaten the Patriots and then were beaten soundly by the Steelers.

As a fan of high school basketball I still say " can't wait!"
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

Not so fast my friend...Bart Scott said those infamous words about playing the Steelers. Proved to be a poor decision :)

falconbball
Riding the Bench

Post by falconbball »

Chieftain Fan wrote:
falconbball wrote:
This is the first post I've seen that '"not putting it all on the officials but they were not consistant" card. Wow what can I say to that . Well The Logan Coaching Staff came up with a winning Defensive scheme and the players executed it to perfection . That is the story and if The Cavs do this they will be hard to beat . I was pulling for FU and may still but these type of comments leave a bad taste . FU has better class than that . Go Falcons !!??!!!!????
as I said , wasnt saying it was the officials that made them lose, It was a tough physical game and bottom line FU didnt play well that game and we typically do not play well there for some reason. Logan is a good team with a bright future, we have seen officials control a game, example was the first meeting between FU and BC I think there was a whistle every time down the floor. The officials we had for the Meigs game were cocky and arrogant smiling after a call was made , not very proffesional if you ask me... good luck to Logan in the Tournament and yes FU has class!!

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Game day!!!!!!!

Came into work early to so I can get on the road by 3:30! Buddies and I are heading to Millers chicken for dinner, gotta have Millers! Then to the first game between Athens and MT. I graduated from OU so it's always special when I arrive.

Go CAVS!

falconbball
Riding the Bench

Post by falconbball »

CavalierAlum05 wrote:Game day!!!!!!!

Came into work early to so I can get on the road by 3:30! Buddies and I are heading to Millers chicken for dinner, gotta have Millers! Then to the first game between Athens and MT. I graduated from OU so it's always special when I arrive.

Go CAVS!
we too are heading down early to catch some of the first game, only an hr from the house. It should be a good one Go Falcons!

Return to “Boys Basketball”