#2 Fairfield Union(61) @ (44)#3 Chillicothe

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Re: #2 Fairfield Union(61) @ (44)#3 Chillicothe

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Preacher Purl wrote:So you want to face guard their best shooter and front the post?? Who's going to help in the post if #10 is opposite the ball? Coach Huffer has been successful playing his style of defense all year. FU was just a better team tonight. I agree that FU is very well coached. Woodside took over in the second half.

Biggest problem for Chilly is they will be D1 next year. This was their year to get it done.
You know what didn't work? NOT face guarding 10 and NOT fronting the post. Try some adjustments.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

CavalierAlum05 wrote:
Preacher Purl wrote:So you want to face guard their best shooter and front the post?? Who's going to help in the post if #10 is opposite the ball? Coach Huffer has been successful playing his style of defense all year. FU was just a better team tonight. I agree that FU is very well coached. Woodside took over in the second half.

Biggest problem for Chilly is they will be D1 next year. This was their year to get it done.
You know what didn't work? NOT face guarding 10 and NOT fronting the post. Try some adjustments.
No Way you can get away face guarding #10, face guard him and then you have #10 Conley beating you, or #24 Price, They have way too many weapons and their shooting percentages is through the roof, they make the best of every offensive trip down the court.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'm not sure you can face guard Thompson, but straight up guarding and going under screens did not work last night. Conley and Price were pretty much non-factors last night as Thompson and Woodside combined to outscore Chillicothe.

Conley looked a lot better after his first couple minutes in the game, adjusted well to the pressure and was fine after. Price wasn't hitting, but I've seen him have big games and it wouldn't surprise me if he did against MT.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Thompson was the offensive story last night. He had been relatively quiet in the last 2 games and then,.., wow was he good last night.

I thought if Chillicothe could have made 1 jump shot in the 3rd or 4th --- just one --- it would have led to possibly another and then Fairfield Union might have had to guard a little closer and the lane would also open

Basketball is a fickle game.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

FU was the far superior team. Chilli didn't have the talent. MT vs Fu should be a slug fest

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Raider6309 wrote:FU was the far superior team. Chilli didn't have the talent. MT vs Fu should be a slug fest
...Chillicothe has talent. That's a far stretch of a statement. FU a better TEAM..yes.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Raider6309 wrote:FU was the far superior team. Chilli didn't have the talent. MT vs Fu should be a slug fest
If you think that way then please know that MT beat Chillicothe twice in very close games. The first on a running 3 pointer at the buzzer and the second in OT

Also Chillicothe defeated Unioto by 26 and Logan Elm by 3 so Saturday's games are probably going to be bad too. After all VC only beat Chillicothe by 4 so they probably don't have talent either.

If Chillicothe hit some jump shots -- uncontested jump shots the game would have been different. It was a 4 point game after 3 and Chillicothe couldn't throw it in the ocean. Talent was not the issue. Sometimes you just don't make shots.

And I do think Fairfield Union will beat MT. They play a style that usually befuddles Trace. Logan Elm game this year is a good example.

Last night's game was frustrating. I believe we played the best team in the District last night and truly could defeat them a fair amount on a 10 game scale. But last night the Convo taketh away. And hats off to Fairfield Union as they realized Chillicothe couldn't make anything and played defense accordingly.

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

LucasDavenport wrote:
If you think that way then please know that MT beat Chillicothe twice in very close games. The first on a running 3 pointer at the buzzer and the second in OT

Also Chillicothe defeated Unioto by 26 and Logan Elm by 3 so Saturday's games are probably going to be bad too. After all VC only beat Chillicothe by 4 so they probably don't have talent either.

If Chillicothe hit some jump shots -- uncontested jump shots the game would have been different. It was a 4 point game after 3 and Chillicothe couldn't throw it in the ocean. Talent was not the issue. Sometimes you just don't make shots.

And I do think Fairfield Union will beat MT. They play a style that usually befuddles Trace. Logan Elm game this year is a good example.

Last night's game was frustrating. I believe we played the best team in the District last night and truly could defeat them a fair amount on a 10 game scale. But last night the Convo taketh away. And hats off to Fairfield Union as they realized Chillicothe couldn't make anything and played defense accordingly.
I agree they shot poorly, but I would guess if you looked at every team that played FU this season that most of them shot poorly. There is a reason for that.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Agreed. There is no doubt.

Last night those jumpers were mostly uncontested. The strategy was great but Fairfield didn't cause the bad shooting--- not last night. They were open jump shots that Chillicothe had been making in previous games. Sometimes the shots just don't fall.

I believe Fairfield Union is the best team in the SE district but I think truth is truth. Were people watching the same game I was? Chillicothe couldn't buy a jumper and outside the lane they were not contested.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

LucasDavenport wrote:

Good points. To say Chilli doesn't have athletes is absurd.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Fairfield Union 61
Chillicothe 44 a final

... this one was a "good" basketball game vs 2 good teams ... both are in my Elite 8 for a reason ... both are ranked "where they are" for a reason - Fairfield Union IS the #2 TEAM I have seen this season - IF I was pressured to "state" which team was better my #1 - Fairland or my #2 Fairfield Union - I would have to give the edge as to the most "complete" TEAM to the Falcons of Coach Eversole ... I didn't say they have the best players, or the best athletes ... I give that edge to Fairland - they are 21-1 with their only setback to an excellent Hilliard Bradley TEAM ... as far as a team that has THE best inside presence in the Southeast District - Colin Woodside is it ... a team that has good perimeter shooters that compliment an inside presence - Lucas Thompson/Hayden Price/Evan Conley make up a darn good group on the outside ... a team that has ballhandlers "outside" the PG position who can bring the ball up court when the opposition puts pressure on the PG - Thompson/Woolshire/Brad Miller/Spencer Conrad/ even Colin Woodside make up THAT group ... throw in role players who KNOW their roles and don't do more than they can do to help the TEAM - Miller/Hayden/Conrad/Woolshire/ Conrad get it done there as well ... BEFORE last night's game Chillicothe vs FU ... I was asked by the Warren coaching contingent sitting in the Cheap Seats with pfloyd "Who do you take ?" - I didn't hesitate , I told Coach Mitchem -" I'm going with the COMPLETE TEAM - Fairfield Union" was my answer ...

... I LIKE Chillicothe - I like the players ... Brandon Maughmer, Seth Barnes, Will Roderick & Simon Roderick - all outstanding ... I like the coaching staff - Coach Huffer & JV coach Coach Conner Scott ... I LIKE what I have seen coming in the form of the creation of a "program", an environment of winning basketball - I have seen it firsthand watching the CAVs 4 times throughout the season - the freshmen, JVs & varsity ... last night vs Fairfield Union the CAVs simply ran into a TEAM that was better at "key" positions "last night" ... it can be argued one way or the other one player is or is not better or one team is better than another over a season BUT the post season IS "one and done" - your key players that you count on for a particular part of the game have to come through or someone else needs to step up and get it done ... last night vs FU ...Chilli couldn't compete down low in the blocks with FU's Colin Woodside ... a win for FU /Woodside in the paint ... perimeter shooting ? CHS had 3 fgs OUTSIDE the paint including 1 triple - FOR THE GAME ... CHS had 1/18 three point fgs ... the Cavs designated 3 point shooter - Jordan Johnson did not have a typical JJ night - 0 points while Fairfield Union's designated or one of FUs top 3 perimeter/3 point scorers went off for 30 points ... win for FU/Thompson ... when you have a shooter like Lucas Thompson who was "feeling it" "hitting it - the triple - he stretches the defense so that the passing lanes are wide open for the entry pass to Mr. Woodside ... in high school hoops one of the things I have noticed and what bothers me to no end is the inability of the perimeter people to get the ball inside - it's an art in itself to get the ball to your BIG in a position for him to score - FU's perimeter peoples had no trouble feeding the post inside/in perfect position for Woodside to get to the rim BUT then again you have CW who has great footwork, a body that keeps himself grounded and stable, hands that CAN CATCH the entry pass , the young man has the demeanor of a warrior - he expects to get "beat on" and does ... he doesn't retaliate , he is simply a "player" ...

... Fairfield Union IS talented - the most talented? no ... they are a complete TEAM offensively and defensively imo ... as has been pointed out - they take care of the ball ... defensively FU is solid nothing fancy, but a "group" of players who work well together - taking care of the little things ...

... talking to daniC last night we both agreed that we thought FU had trouble with the speed/strength of the on the ball pressure especially PG Evan Conley - that was early in the 1st quarter - I thought once the FU players adjusted to the Chillicothe pressure on the ballhandlers , the quickness that CHS brought - it took away an advantage that CHS brought into the game ... probably the ONLY negative I took away from the game for FU was the passing - another pet peeve I have - my disdain for "weak passes" LOL ... at THIS level you have to have crisp passes ... when I go into a gymnasium the first thing that points out to me if a team is schooled well in fundamentals is passing - Logan Elm ... crisp passing ... Oak HIll ... crisp passing ... Warren Warriors ... crisp passing ... last night FU "get that weak stuff outta here" passing ... it will be addressed I'm sure ...

... Fairfield Union 61 Chillicothe 44 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Chillicothe ...

Scoring ... Seth Barnes 17, Brandon Maughmer 15, Will Roderick 10, Simon Roderick 2
3 Pointers ... 1/18 ... Brandon Maughmer 1
FTs ....... 9/10
TOs ...... 11
PntP ...... 28
Points in Transition .... 2

... Chillicothe returns Brandon Maughmer, Will Roderick, Simon Roderick, Jayvon Maughmer - a good group of JV players on the horizon as well ... as was posted Chilli goes to D1 next season - back to the Central District Post Season Party ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Fairfield Union ...

Scoring ... Lucas Thompson 30, Colin Woodside 18, Hayden Price 7, Jack Woolshire 2, Brad Miller 2, Evan Conley 2
3 Pointers ... 5/12 ... Lucas Thompson 4, Hayden Price 1
FTs ........ 14/19
TOs ....... 15
PntP ....... 32
Points in Transition ...... 4

... Colin Woodside picked up point 1000 last night - congratulations to the Big Man in the Middle for FU ... game balls go to Woolshire/Thompson/Price/ Conley/ Miller/ Conrad as the TEAM pulled together AGAIN when #4 went to the bench ... one of the pluses for FU is having a 6-3, "thickish" shooting guard/forward who can go down into the paint, body up on bigs defensively, rebound with bigs in the paint AND STILL play a perimeter game - take a bow Lucas Thompson - great game by the JUNIOR ... this season LT is MORE THAN one dimensional - more than a 3 point shooter - he has that "get across halfcourt - I'm open" range from behind the arc BUT he now will beat defenders off the dribble, take the ball to the rim and finish ... great TEAM win ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”