Athens 58 Sheridan 57 ... Logan Elm 70 Warren 63 finals

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Athens 58 Sheridan 57 ... Logan Elm 70 Warren 63 finals

Post by pfloyd »

Athens 58
Sheridan 57 final

... Athens punches their ticket to the Convo by knocking off Sheridan in Game #1 of the Logan sectional tonight ... excellent game to watch no matter which side you were rooting for tonight ... with the Bulldogs this season you never know what you're going to get on any given night ... tonight at Jim's Gym Coach Cozart's Athens boyz got the job done ... led by SG Dalton Cozart's 22 points - half of which he dropped on Sheridan in a 3 triples and deuce third quarter that saw the Bulldogs stretch a one point 26-25 lead to 5 points by the end of the 3rd Athens 45 Sheridan 40 ... the final period saw SHS outscore Athens 17-13 ... led by Clayton Radabaugh's 8 fourth quarter points Sheridan took the lead with :14 seconds on the clock on a Noah Cooperrider putback bucket SHS up 57-56 ... the lead was short lived as Griffin Lutz took the inbounds pass 92 feet unimpeded for the go ahead bucket at the rim Athens 58-57 with :04 on the clock ... what looked to be a game winning shot bounced off the rim ... Athens 58 Sheridan 57 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Sheridan ...

Scoring ... Ethan Hellers 14, Clayton Radabaugh 13, Grant Heileman 12, Noah Cooperrider 8, Dylan Dupler 6, Stan Knox 2, Dylan Emmert 2
3 Pointers ... 2/10 ... Ethan Hellers 2
FTs .......... 5/5
TOs ........ 13
PntP .... 30
Points in Transition ... 6

... I've described Sheridan as a "Blue Collar" TEAM ... one of those rare teams that works the ball to get a 2 point , mid range shot and the elbow or something better off the block ... I was surprised at the number of 3 point shots taken by Sheridan tonight - only going 2/10 ... imo had SHS stayed with their game plan - getting that 10-12 shot - the outcome would have been different ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring ... Dalton "not Nathan" Cozart 22, Logan Maxfield 10, Griffin Lutz 10, Micah Saltzman 8, Justin Hines 4, Eli Chubb 2, Robert Dickelman 2
3 Pointers ..... 8/19 ... Dalton Cozart 5, Micah Saltzman 2, Logan Maxfield 1
FTs ........ 6/9
TOs ...... 14
PntP ...... 24
Points in Transition ... 4

... the tone for this one was set early as both Micah Saltzman and Dalton Cozart drained Athens first 2 buckets both triples from behind the arc ... Griffin Lutz got 2 in the paint buckets but imo the 2 treys gave the role players confidence and allowed Lutz to relax knowing that TEAM Athens was in the house tonight ... Sheridan was in a zone for the entire first half and a the majority of the 3rd - the goal being to keep Lutz from getting to the rim - it worked great Lutz had only 4 fgs in the first 3 periods AND he picked up his 4th foul on a charge in the 3rd ... the problem was in taking the ball and the driving lanes away from Lutz the Generals let the rest of the Bulldogs literally spot up for 3 point shots ... you could see Cozarts confidence grow as he hit 2 triples in the first half then owned Sheridan in the 3rd with his 11 points ... add to the mix Micah Saltzman who finally looked like a part of the offense as he hit 2 triples of his own in the first half of action ... the Bulldogs move on to the Convo ...

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Logan Elm 70
Warren 63 a final

... Wow!!! one of those games that had great players for both teams LE with Ridge Young and Warren with Kyler Dennis/ Chase Weihl / Josh Huffman ... 3 vs 1 hardly seems fair ... Ridge Young went off for 41 points for LE ... Kyler Dennis 25/Chase Weihl 8/ Josh Huffman 23 ... the marque players for both sides lived up to the billing ... I've already read a post or twelve that had Ridge Young "singlehandedly" "willing" the Braves to victory coming from 12 down in the 3rd to get the OT win ... Ridge Young IS unstoppable LOL and yes he scored 17 points in the 3rd period dropping 3 consecutive triples to bring Logan Elm back from the dead and erase that Warren 12 point lead in less than 45 seconds of play clock BUT I have to give props to the LE "role players" - Caymen Bryant in the 2nd quarter drained back to back 3's to keep Warren within arms reach 6 points going into half time instead of 12 ... and yes Ridge Young put up 17 in the 3rd to reel in the BBB after the Warriors built a 12 point lead in the 3rd ... Young started the 4th the way he ended the 3rd - with a behind a pick triple ... what got the Braves over the top was 2 GIANT 3's by Kamry Wright from the left wing ... those 2 triples and Cody Anderson's 4 points within a 30 sec span helped to GET LE into OT ... as good as Ridge Young was - and I am not in any way , shape or form taking anything away from what RG did - the role players got it done as well - without the timely "games within the game" of the role players - Wright/Anderson/Bryant ... the 41 points by RG would have just been a great individual performance not a TEAM win for LE ... Logan Elm gets the Golden Ticket to the Convo ! LE 70 Warren 63 OT a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Kyler Dennis 25, Josh Huffman 23, Chase Weihl 8, Jared Hall 3, Bishop Ford 2, Trace Congelton 2
3 Pointers .... 4/12 ... Kyler Dennis 3, Jared Hall 1
FTs .......19/26
TOs ..... 13
PntP ...... 28
Points in Transition ... 0

... the Warren crew will never use this as an excuse but when Chase Weihl went down in the 2nd quarter with the ankle/foot injury it took a major advantage in the paint out with it ... he gutted it out , but was never a factor offensively after the injury ... throw in Josh Huffman also getting injured in the 2nd half! - Warren didn't have a "good" leg to stand on in the paint for 3 quarters in this one ... Kyler Dennis was outstanding - the young man was literally hounded the last 2 games, both losses , both in Jim's Gym - one to Logan and tonight to Logan Elm ... he played an outstanding game ... Josh Huffman was a beast down low ... the BIG 3 for Warren did their part ... Coach Maddox needed another role player to step up - he didn't get that tonight ... great season still for the Warriors ... a great group of young men ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan Elm ...

Scoring ... Ridge Young 41 , Kamry Wright 10, Caymen Bryant 10, Cody Anderson 6, Logan Holbert 1
3 Pointers ..... 9/20 ... Ridge Young 5, Kamry Wright 2, Caymen Bryant 2
FTS ........ 21/24
TOs ...... 6
PntP ..... 20
Points in Transition ... 0

... 2 outstanding TEAMS, 2 even better coaching staffs ... it adds up to what WE the fans got tonight an OUTSTANDING basketball game ... a Logan Elm TEAM that was outsized inside held its' own - Logan Holbert did an outstanding job in the paint vs both Huffman & Weihl ... Ridge Young showed the whole arsenal - he gets to the rim, he has limitless range from behind the 3 point line, and he has a shooters mentality - I can't score and help TEAM if I don't shoot ... looking forward to seeing the Braves at the Convo next week !!! Great job Coaches Stiverson, Holbert, Dropsey !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens 58 Sheridan 57 ... Logan Elm 70 Warren 63 finals

Post by pfloyd »

... always good to run into folks during the post season - the Unioto coaching staff was in attendance scouting the Warren/Logan Elm game - Coach Hoops & Coach Bruce made their way into radio row to give pfloyd a shout out and talk some hoops ... the Fairfield Union coaches were in attendance as well ... got to wish Coach Cozart for Athens the best prior to the game tonight along with Coach Marten for Sheridan ... as I said I had the pleasure of sitting in radio row while 93bulldog and Mark Hunter called the Athens/Sheridan game ... got to go courtside after the game to shake hands with the Logan Elm coaching staff - Coach Stiverson , Coach Holbert and Coach Dropsey ... good times !!! it's Saturday already ! we will be tipping it off between Fairfield Union and Meigs at 3pm Logan time and following it up with closing game in the Logan D2 sectional Vinton County vs Marietta at 7pm I believe tonight ... not sure I would want to be a favored higher seed after Friday night's games ! LOL ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Great stuff floyd. Thanks!

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Great Rundowns PFloyd. Good luck to teams moving forward and those yet to play.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Great stuff as always!

I had pointed out how awesome it was for LE to get huge points from Anderson to close out the 4th and how important Bryant's back to back 3s were. Ridge was special last night, but his teammates really step it up down the stretch.

Of course, the injuries to Wiehl and Huffman were huge. Kyler Dennis and Josh Huffman both played outstanding games last night for the Warriors.

And even as a Southeastern Sectional fan, our depth is nowhere near what the Logan depth was/is currently. Wow, there is some great basketball being played at Jim's Gym.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

danicalifornia wrote:Great stuff as always!

I had pointed out how awesome it was for LE to get huge points from Anderson to close out the 4th and how important Bryant's back to back 3s were. Ridge was special last night, but his teammates really step it up down the stretch.

Of course, the injuries to Wiehl and Huffman were huge. Kyler Dennis and Josh Huffman both played outstanding games last night for the Warriors.

And even as a Southeastern Sectional fan, our depth is nowhere near what the Logan depth was/is currently. Wow, there is some great basketball being played at Jim's Gym.
That's true, but respect for MT, Chillicothe, The U and Waverly if the chalk holds true at SE. Some very solid basketball players on every team and a lot of athleticism.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wiehl not play?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman !!!! I apologize ! I failed to mention I had the pleasure of meeting up with you as well !!! ... it is always good to run into you covering those Northwest Territory Teams courtside ! add to the mix another sports reporter type person - I was joined on radio row by Athens Messenger sports editor - heck KW & talked hoops and the days of "the huddle" , Jackson football , Ironman02 , Jared Humphreys, the SEOAL's demise , newspaper reporter war stories and yes an ongoing dialog during the Athens/Sheridan game - I enjoyed it KW !!!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote:bman !!!! I apologize ! I failed to mention I had the pleasure of meeting up with you as well !!! ... it is always good to run into you covering those Northwest Territory Teams courtside ! add to the mix another sports reporter type person - I was joined on radio row by Athens Messenger sports editor - heck KW & talked hoops and the days of "the huddle" , Jackson football , Ironman02 , Jared Humphreys, the SEOAL's demise , newspaper reporter war stories and yes an ongoing dialog during the Athens/Sheridan game - I enjoyed it KW !!!

No problem, pfloyd. I figured you were wanting to forget our incorrect predictions from before the game. Shows how much I know. ;) The beauty of the tournament...just about anything is possible.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote:

Wiehl not play?
Got hurt in the 2nd Q. Gutted it out in the 2nd half, but could barely move. Huffman got banged up in the 3rd and was a different player for the rest of the game too.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote:
pfloyd wrote:bman !!!! I apologize ! I failed to mention I had the pleasure of meeting up with you as well !!! ... it is always good to run into you covering those Northwest Territory Teams courtside ! add to the mix another sports reporter type person - I was joined on radio row by Athens Messenger sports editor - heck KW & talked hoops and the days of "the huddle" , Jackson football , Ironman02 , Jared Humphreys, the SEOAL's demise , newspaper reporter war stories and yes an ongoing dialog during the Athens/Sheridan game - I enjoyed it KW !!!

No problem, pfloyd. I figured you were wanting to forget our incorrect predictions from before the game. Shows how much I know. ;) The beauty of the tournament...just about anything is possible.

... heck bman - last night's game is EXACTLY why I don't predict winners & losers in the post season ... what you see on paper means absolutely "nada" ! I loved watching the coaching staffs last night - I'm "SEEING" the strategies play out ... I could see the wheels turning on both sides ... games like last night between Warren and Logan Elm are such great "chess matches" between the "masters of courtside" - the coaching staffs of Coach Stiverson, Coach Holbert, Coach Dropsey vs Coach Maddox, Coach Colgrove, Coach Coffman, Coach Mitchem ... I learn so much just watching THESE kind of matchups and have for the 15 years I have been doing the "ranking thing" ...

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Congrats Athens! Good luck in the Convo!

Johnstown
Riding the Bench

Post by Johnstown »

Thank you PFloyd...Stayed with the wife to watch both games. HS hoops is the best. LE played with confidence... Warren awesome program. Bulldogs big win with everyone talking out there and first time in a bit tremendous emotion. Griff looking like Danny Ainge when UCLA beat Bringham Young. Kid puts team on his back. All battling. Cozart broke out of a long shooting slump in a huge game. Great performance. You are observant as usual- Micah Saltzman finally shooting cause his percentage is best on team from three, tips two late shots. A fan favorite. Hines and Logan and Robert tough fellas. They battle down low every play. Man they work hard. Great coaching job. Hope the Vikes win tonight.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote:
bman wrote:

... heck bman - last night's game is EXACTLY why I don't predict winners & losers in the post season ... what you see on paper means absolutely "nada" ! I loved watching the coaching staffs last night - I'm "SEEING" the strategies play out ... I could see the wheels turning on both sides ... games like last night between Warren and Logan Elm are such great "chess matches" between the "masters of courtside" - the coaching staffs of Coach Stiverson, Coach Holbert, Coach Dropsey vs Coach Maddox, Coach Colgrove, Coach Coffman, Coach Mitchem ... I learn so much just watching THESE kind of matchups and have for the 15 years I have been doing the "ranking thing" ...

Logan Elm and Warren has turned into a great tournament rivalry. Adam Blake's game-winner in the 2010 district final for LE, last night's overtime game and others.

Coach Maddox and his staff put a solid team on the floor every season for Warren. Also nice to see the sportsmanship, kids helping each other up from both teams, etc. Both teams play basketball the right way, and both communities have embraced those programs.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Great start to The D2 Logan Sectional. Hopefully tonight both are good games

Go Vinton and Meigs

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Did anyone in Jim's Gym think that after Sheridan went ahead that Athens was going to inbound the ball to Lutz and he was headed for pay dirt. A quick timeout for Sheridan to deny Lutz the ball would be worth its weight in GOLD. Just saying .

Return to “Boys Basketball”