South Point 70 Wheelersburg 63 (2017 Sectionals)

art_vandelay
SE

Re: #3 Wheelersburg(63) @ (70)#6 South Point

Post by art_vandelay »

Kind of a weird season for Burg. Hard to gripe about a 18-6 record, but felt like they were capable of a lot more (I fully expected them to get to the District Championship). Holden presents a unique problem as he would've helped the team the most by moving to the high post when teams zoned Burg, but for his own future, he's obviously better off staying out on the perimeter.

With that being said, I don't see next season's tourney prospects being much better for Burg. They will still have Fairland/South Point/Oak Hill to contend with in D3, and won't have Coleman around (kid was a beast all year). Other than Holden, I see a bunch of great athletes, but average basketball players. Will be an interesting offseason in Wheelersburg for sure.*

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Art you made a interesting statement, but for his own future, that's great as a individual but as a team where is that person needed the most underneath or outside. As Mr Wonderful would say. but I'm not the Coach. Donald says that's were gonna be Great, lol. Jk but there's some truth under these statements. Look at Howie at Trimble, he can flat out Coach and gets his players in the right positions for what's best with what he works with. Howie can flat out Coach.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

True statement with above poster. You can't let a player hold you ransom because they have above average talent. Plus you have to address rogue players on the court. South point played as a team and it showed. Im not privy to what burgs coach does or what his philosophy is but there were times when I felt the kids were doing what they wanted to do and perhaps not coach's direction.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Wcat. Over the years I've seen this happen at many if not all schools, it's called egos when the egos are fueled from a young age and year after year being fueled that the NFL or NBA or MLB. WBA , if your not humble and grounded and it's all about me then things go sour and heads south . Then when other schools don't take the fever pitch attitudes at starting there kids at young ages and inflates egos way out of realm. Basketball 30 is here and Lou is ready ,the round house will be rocking and 93 bulldog ready, Purple hippo is the man of all southeastern Ohio and the best 30 programs in the southeast will be there. Good luck all and let's play another one . Leave the egos at the door God speed

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

As a coach of a high school team, do you do what is best for 1 player or the entire team? Seems to me if you let 1 player determine where they play, you are taking away from the rest of the team to be successful. You are making one player special and the others are just along for the ride. Treat them all the same and put kids in positions to best suit the team. Playing positions in high school don't always determine where you will play in college but it can tell scouts what type of player and young man that they are getting as a team mate to the rest of their team. Good luck to South Point in the district and Wheelersburg on the diamond.

Return to “Boys Basketball”