South Point 70 Wheelersburg 63 (2017 Sectionals)

mrwonderful
Varsity

Re: #3 Wheelersburg(63) @ (70)#6 South Point

Post by mrwonderful »

I'm puzzled as why anyone would be surprised SP beat Burg....Ironton beat Burg...SP beat Ironton.....South Webster beat Burg...SP beat South Webster...Jackson beat Burg...SP scrimmaged Jackson and did well...Portsmouth beat Burg...SP lost to Portsmouth twice and both were good games......The 1st game SP played against Burg was a close game until last minute or so....It was a 14 point Burg win but trust me Burg players and fans who watched knew that was a misleading score....and I don't think Burg has more talent than SP.....Burg lost this game in my opinion because they thought Coleman could beat us single handily....Yeah he scored 27 points but that number is misleading also.....He took as many shots as the other players combined to get that 27 and I'd say close to half his points were on the free throw line ...Forced shots and was lucky the refs let him jump into SP players standing straight up initiating contact most of the times he shot and calling the fouls on SP....They let him do as he pleased down low...He didn't have 1 foul called on him the 1st half...3 of our bigs had 2 just in 1st half.....And Burg didn't play bad because if they had played bad SP would have blowed them out....SP had leads of 7 and 5 points 3 or 4 times in this game and were on the verge of opening it up....I've never heard a Burg fan after a lose say they played a good game...It's always we played poorly and still bout won....Very spoiled fans...That's why it's always great to see Burg lose...

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

bbjunky81 wrote:
wobycat wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:
Respectfully disagree that South Point is the better team. Top to bottom, Wheelersburg is clearly the better team. However, South Point was the better team this particular night.
Yes they were. Even as poorly as the burg played they had a 1 point lead with a minute to play in the game. South point made the plays they were supposed to. Fox was the best player on the court that night.
A friend of mine told me that as well. South Point does have two very good guards, I just didn't think the bigs/wings could handle Burg.

South Point and Portsmouth should be a good game, but South Point has the momentum!
I agree, south point should win by 10 or more

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

mrwonderful wrote:I'm puzzled as why anyone would be surprised SP beat Burg....Ironton beat Burg...SP beat Ironton.....South Webster beat Burg...SP beat South Webster...Jackson beat Burg...SP scrimmaged Jackson and did well...Portsmouth beat Burg...SP lost to Portsmouth twice and both were good games......The 1st game SP played against Burg was a close game until last minute or so....It was a 14 point Burg win but trust me Burg players and fans who watched knew that was a misleading score....and I don't think Burg has more talent than SP.....Burg lost this game in my opinion because they thought Coleman could beat us single handily....Yeah he scored 27 points but that number is misleading also.....He took as many shots as the other players combined to get that 27 and I'd say close to half his points were on the free throw line ...Forced shots and was lucky the refs let him jump into SP players standing straight up initiating contact most of the times he shot and calling the fouls on SP....They let him do as he pleased down low...He didn't have 1 foul called on him the 1st half...3 of our bigs had 2 just in 1st half.....And Burg didn't play bad because if they had played bad SP would have blowed them out....SP had leads of 7 and 5 points 3 or 4 times in this game and were on the verge of opening it up....I've never heard a Burg fan after a lose say they played a good game...It's always we played poorly and still bout won....Very spoiled fans...That's why it's always great to see Burg lose...
Same ole same ole. It's like they don't really care if their team wins but rather just the satisfaction of burg losing.

Burg posters came back on here and gave credit but Burg did play poorly. Actually they played selfish. Had all year. Burg isn't that great of basketball team but they have athletes. South point is a good basketball team with the best point guard in the area but overall I think burg was a better basketball team. Let's face it though, the only team that has a shot is fairland. Hopefully they can represent the southern portion of the state.

Mr. wonderful just enjoy the win.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

mrwonderful wrote:I'm puzzled as why anyone would be surprised SP beat Burg....Ironton beat Burg...SP beat Ironton.....South Webster beat Burg...SP beat South Webster...Jackson beat Burg...SP scrimmaged Jackson and did well...Portsmouth beat Burg...SP lost to Portsmouth twice and both were good games......The 1st game SP played against Burg was a close game until last minute or so....It was a 14 point Burg win but trust me Burg players and fans who watched knew that was a misleading score....and I don't think Burg has more talent than SP.....Burg lost this game in my opinion because they thought Coleman could beat us single handily....Yeah he scored 27 points but that number is misleading also.....He took as many shots as the other players combined to get that 27 and I'd say close to half his points were on the free throw line ...Forced shots and was lucky the refs let him jump into SP players standing straight up initiating contact most of the times he shot and calling the fouls on SP....They let him do as he pleased down low...He didn't have 1 foul called on him the 1st half...3 of our bigs had 2 just in 1st half.....And Burg didn't play bad because if they had played bad SP would have blowed them out....SP had leads of 7 and 5 points 3 or 4 times in this game and were on the verge of opening it up....I've never heard a Burg fan after a lose say they played a good game...It's always we played poorly and still bout won....Very spoiled fans...That's why it's always great to see Burg lose...

You are amazing!!! You have the AUDACITY to complain about Burg fans but still yet not once but twice within this thread you have bitched about how Coleman got away with murder under the basket and if I was a guessing man, he didn't get all of the fouls called against him that should have been. Sure, he is going to get most of his points from the FT line because he is a banger under the basket. I've never seen a kid his size work his butt off like he did to get his points in the paint. If he was about 6'6" he would have been unstoppable.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Congrats to SP on the win, hoping the Trojans can take matchup number three, lord knows that's never easy Go Trojans

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Typical Burg fans. Not all, but a lot. Cry cry cry cry when they don't win.

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

Most of them don't even go to the game and just go by what they hear, like the one that said radio guy blamed their loss to Portsmouth on the referee. Lmao ,the radio guy never said no such thing ,that's really reaching for an excuse right there.

Turning point in this game was when 21 for burg tried to score under a minute with the lead and turned the ball over,I'm betting that's not the play coach Adder drawed up???

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

Mr. Wonderful you sir are dead on! Yabba you are correct. He banged all game! Only problem football not here until August. Woby this thread may reach 6 pages deep with the amount of Burg Congratulations. HAHA! Had Burg won this Championship game this thread would have been 6 pages deep with Burg looking ahead to Fairland, their too athletic to lose to Portsmouth. The Donald feels this was a really really beautiful win, by a very talented, and well Coached Pointer Basketball Program....The Donald recommends all Burg fans go to your safe place, have a group hug, and talk this loss through. It's reported that Fred's has offered their banquet room, and donated cookies and drinks as a place to meet and heal. CNN (FAKE NEWS) reports the Russians were involved with the pointer win... " Burg fans agree The Russians planted two look alike National Basketball stars to upset the highly athletic, unbeatable Burg team......

"I'M DONALD TRUMP AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

donaldtrump wrote:Mr. Wonderful you sir are dead on! Yabba you are correct. He banged all game! Only problem football not here until August. Woby this thread may reach 6 pages deep with the amount of Burg Congratulations. HAHA! Had Burg won this Championship game this thread would have been 6 pages deep with Burg looking ahead to Fairland, their too athletic to lose to Portsmouth. The Donald feels this was a really really beautiful win, by a very talented, and well Coached Pointer Basketball Program....The Donald recommends all Burg fans go to your safe place, have a group hug, and talk this loss through. It's reported that Fred's has offered their banquet room, and donated cookies and drinks as a place to meet and heal. CNN (FAKE NEWS) reports the Russians were involved with the pointer win... " Burg fans agree The Russians planted two look alike National Basketball stars to upset the highly athletic, unbeatable Burg team......

"I'M DONALD TRUMP AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"
Haha. You seem to think that other fans congratulate burg by the hands full when they win but honestly their pages get saturated when they lose. Burg football is more of a following. Basketball just doesn't get the love. Either way there is no love loss when it comes to the burg. But they are aware. I hear it at church. Lol

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Kind of a weird season for Burg. Hard to gripe about a 18-6 record, but felt like they were capable of a lot more (I fully expected them to get to the District Championship). Holden presents a unique problem as he would've helped the team the most by moving to the high post when teams zoned Burg, but for his own future, he's obviously better off staying out on the perimeter.

With that being said, I don't see next season's tourney prospects being much better for Burg. They will still have Fairland/South Point/Oak Hill to contend with in D3, and won't have Coleman around (kid was a beast all year). Other than Holden, I see a bunch of great athletes, but average basketball players. Will be an interesting offseason in Wheelersburg for sure.*

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Art you made a interesting statement, but for his own future, that's great as a individual but as a team where is that person needed the most underneath or outside. As Mr Wonderful would say. but I'm not the Coach. Donald says that's were gonna be Great, lol. Jk but there's some truth under these statements. Look at Howie at Trimble, he can flat out Coach and gets his players in the right positions for what's best with what he works with. Howie can flat out Coach.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

True statement with above poster. You can't let a player hold you ransom because they have above average talent. Plus you have to address rogue players on the court. South point played as a team and it showed. Im not privy to what burgs coach does or what his philosophy is but there were times when I felt the kids were doing what they wanted to do and perhaps not coach's direction.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Wcat. Over the years I've seen this happen at many if not all schools, it's called egos when the egos are fueled from a young age and year after year being fueled that the NFL or NBA or MLB. WBA , if your not humble and grounded and it's all about me then things go sour and heads south . Then when other schools don't take the fever pitch attitudes at starting there kids at young ages and inflates egos way out of realm. Basketball 30 is here and Lou is ready ,the round house will be rocking and 93 bulldog ready, Purple hippo is the man of all southeastern Ohio and the best 30 programs in the southeast will be there. Good luck all and let's play another one . Leave the egos at the door God speed

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

As a coach of a high school team, do you do what is best for 1 player or the entire team? Seems to me if you let 1 player determine where they play, you are taking away from the rest of the team to be successful. You are making one player special and the others are just along for the ride. Treat them all the same and put kids in positions to best suit the team. Playing positions in high school don't always determine where you will play in college but it can tell scouts what type of player and young man that they are getting as a team mate to the rest of their team. Good luck to South Point in the district and Wheelersburg on the diamond.

Return to “Boys Basketball”