Logan 53 Warren 46 in the 4,196th SEOAL game - THE END

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Logan 53 Warren 46 in the 4,196th SEOAL game - THE END

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 53
Warren 46 final

... a packed house at Jim's Gym,senior night, a loud crowd on both sides of the court, Warren looking to take the final SEOAL title while Logan was looking to tie Athens with 19 SEOAL league titles by getting a W & a share of the title , LHS needing a W to stop Coach Maddox from picking up his 300th win at Warren HS at the Chiefs expense ... more importantly Logan was looking to get that elusive "signature win" ... if you read all of the posts, the newspaper writeups, Coach Rider's quotes after all of the near misses this season it was always the same "we're young" ... "we've played a tough schedule" ..."we played 3 good quarters" ... the last game of the regular season vs one of the Southeast District's annual power programs - tonight the Purple and White FINALLY put 4 quarters of solid hoops together at both ends of the court ... finally putting all of the excuses behind them ... Logan 53 Warren 46 a final ...

... Logan started it's senior players on Senior Night along with Sophomore Bo Myers, Junior Caiden Landis ... the line of seniors held their own, got Logan the lead - a lead that they NEVER gave up for the rest of the game ... Caiden Landis controlled the paint with 6 points, Bo Myers put the proverbial clamps on Kyler Dennis as the sharpshooting guard was unable to even get a shot off in the first quarter ... Warren as a team was unable to throw the ball in the Hocking River, a trend that carried right through to the end of the game ... Logan 13 Warren 6 end of one ... both teams matched each others offensive output in the 2nd - Warren after going 0-4 from downtown in the 1st went 2/7 in the 2nd from 3 point range ... Bo Myers continued to take Dennis out of the game offensively - 0 points ... 0 shots on goal in the first half ... Logan 23 Warren 16 at intermission ... Warren looked to get on the board early with the 1st possession out of intermission - nothing ... nothing followed up by Logan getting a 5 point play - a triple by Caleb Bell out of the left corner ... a foul under the bucket gave the ball back to Logan followed up by a Landis 2 pointer in the paint ... Warren appeared to be at least on life support as Chase Weihl tried to get something going adding 2 transition monster dunks , a pair of threes by Bryce Gandee/Bishop Ford ... Kyler Dennis dented the scorebook for 5 third quarter points - not enough as Bo Myers put up 10 points in the 3rd to keep Warren again at arms length ... Logan 40 Warren 35 end of 3 ... once again Warren had possession to start the 4th ... trailing by 5 with the ball to open the quarter - the generally patient with the ball Warriors , Warren usually a team that gets at least a shot - THEIR shot in key situations - came away with 3 empty possessions & only one shot at the bucket/2 TO's ... Caleb Bell hit his 2nd triple of the night which was THE dagger in the Big Bad Blue's attempt at a comeback W ... 6 minutes 44 seconds ... 5 Warren turnovers ... 1-7 shooting from behind the arc later ... Logan 53 Warren 46 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Chase Weihl 13, Josh Huffman 10, Kyler Dennis 8, Bryce Gandee 5, Bishop Ford 5, Trace Congleton 3, Cameron Bartmess 2
3 Pointers ... 5/22 ... Chase Weihl 1, Kyler Dennis 1, Bryce Gandee 1, Trace Congleton 1, Bishop Ford 1
FTs ....... 3/8
TOs ... 13
PntP ... 26
Points in Transition ... 10

... I've watched Warren 5 times this season ... this was the first time the BBB was unable to get it going offensively while shutting down their opponent defensively ... most of the 13 turnovers were of the unforced variety - again not characteristic of a Warren ball club ... if there is a positive to come out of tonight's performance it might be that the Warriors get to play again - had this one been vs Logan Elm next Friday night in sectional play - the Warriors would be starting baseball season ... Best of luck to the Warriors in the post season ... looking forward to see if WHS can regroup by next Friday night ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Bo Myers 18, Caiden Landis 13, Kory Henthorne 10, Caleb Bell 7, Colton Dixon 3, Coby Bell 2
3 Pointers ... 5/15 ... Bo Myers 2, Caleb Bell 2, Colton Dixon 1
FTs .......... 6/10
TOs ....... 15
PntP ...... 28
Points in Transition ... 0

... as I posted Logan played its' best 4 quarters of the season vs a quality team ... defensively the Purple took away everything Warren was trying to do offensively - held Kyler Dennis to "nothing" offensively (8 points) - he went off for 29 vs Logan 2 weeks ago at the WarriorDome ... Logan defensively gave up NO looks to anyone for 4 quarters ... 2 uncontested Chase Weihl dunks in transition is ALL that the Warriors were able muster on the night EVERY OTHER SHOT WAS CONTESTED ... a game ball goes to Bo Myers at BOTH ends - he owned Kyler Dennis defensively while putting up 18 points for the game ... Kory Henthorne has played himself into being a solid force in the paint ... Coach Rich Bell gets a game ball for an outstanding defensive game plan that the Logan Purple executed to perfection for ALL 4 quarters ... best of luck to the Purple boys in 2 weeks going into the Central District Post Season Party ...

... Pfloyd imo : packed house at Jim's Gym tonight -it had to be a great gate ... the atmosphere tonight was EXACTLY what high school hoops IS and SHOULD BE ALL ABOUT ... and yet it's over ... the powers that be have decided that playing Warren apparently ISN'T in the best interest of Logan Basketball ... we will now turn away great basketball vs teams in SE Ohio for what ??? 22 games vs teams from Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line who bring 50 people to games ? unless games are 15 minutes away ie inside the 270 outer belt they consider it an "overnighter" - they won't come to Logan ... hard to get enthused for meaningless , non-league games ... oh yeah that's right - we have to play Central District teams to get respect in the postseason draw - what was I thinking , to actually think that high school hoops was more than earning the respect of the Central District ... we will NEVER see the atmosphere that was created by the rivalry of 2 Southeast Ohio teams at the Logan vs Warren game tonight in Jim's Gym from ANY Central District team ... we had a 20-1 Hilliard Bradley team bring 50 people while the Logan crowd was sparse & disinterested at best (smh) ... imo we won't even get to see good SE Sectional play in Logan - as I'm guessing that the teams in the SE District will have the Logan site changed to a floor that they can get on during the regular season - if Logan won't schedule SE District teams or even hand pick some but not others ... the SouthEast district will move the site to a school that will ... with the "clear the gym" rule imposed now there is no need for a BIG venue to hold 4 schools fans anymore ... tonight's game marked the end of more than just the SEOAL ...

bman
SEO

Re: Logan 53 Warren 46 in the 4,196th SEOAL game - THE END

Post by bman »

Unless Logan no longer wants to host the sectional or wants to apply for Central District admission, I see the sectional remaining at Logan.

The western D2 sectional was played at Chillicothe HS for years when Chillicothe was a D1 school playing in the OCC.

The sad thing is two great leagues just played their final league games on the hardwood - the SEOAL and the SCOL.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Great recap on the game pfloyd, SEOAL football and basketball have closed their chapters. Spring sport closures up next.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Great game for the Chiefs!

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Yes the end to a long running league and in a great atmosphere for sure. Emotional night for the Seniors . 2 Seniors that had not started got to feel the excitement of the tip. Many factors in this game but the constant switching and fight thru screens was a big factor. Team defense , helping out on D has been a trademark .
Floyd I have only seen a handful of scheduled games next year with a couple of the handful still SEO teams . If you have a complete schedule could you share that with us . I do not like the idea either of playing a Central Ohio team that will only bring 50 people . That's not good High School Basketball. Not good for the gate and will hurt .
Most teams would prefer to schedule teams that they can beat and build their records so is the issue Logan does not want to schedule certain teams or certain teams will not want to schedule Logan ? Not having a league is the Main problem. Games like Warren , Vinton County , Fairfield Union ,Unioto Jackson and throw in Athens and add a few More Mid State teams would be great for SEO.
Is it really a factor to Get On Logans Court during the season to keep the Sectional at Jim's Gym ? If so schedule all the D2 TEAMS that would play in sectional so no one has an advantage . That would really help Logan Scheduling problem . A happy ending for a sad situation fr sure. Thanks Floyd for the run down .

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens 19 titles
Logan 18.5 titles

Anyone remember the Gallia site with every SEOAL basketball game? I can't find it

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

When was Athens last title?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Raider6309 wrote:Athens 19 titles
Logan 18.5 titles

Anyone remember the Gallia site with every SEOAL basketball game? I can't find it
Most of Athens titles came during a SEOAL down period and when the tough got going they left.

Did you count 1965/66 with the tie between Athens and Wellston :?: And the one year Athens and Logan tied

18 to 18 :?: :?:
Last edited by noreply66 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chieftain Fan wrote:Yes the end to a long running league and in a great atmosphere for sure. Emotional night for the Seniors . 2 Seniors that had not started got to feel the excitement of the tip. Many factors in this game but the constant switching and fight thru screens was a big factor. Team defense , helping out on D has been a trademark .
Floyd I have only seen a handful of scheduled games next year with a couple of the handful still SEO teams . If you have a complete schedule could you share that with us . I do not like the idea either of playing a Central Ohio team that will only bring 50 people . That's not good High School Basketball. Not good for the gate and will hurt .
Most teams would prefer to schedule teams that they can beat and build their records so is the issue Logan does not want to schedule certain teams or certain teams will not want to schedule Logan ? Not having a league is the Main problem. Games like Warren , Vinton County , Fairfield Union ,Unioto Jackson and throw in Athens and add a few More Mid State teams would be great for SEO.
Is it really a factor to Get On Logans Court during the season to keep the Sectional at Jim's Gym ? If so schedule all the D2 TEAMS that would play in sectional so no one has an advantage . That would really help Logan Scheduling problem . A happy ending for a sad situation fr sure. Thanks Floyd for the run down .
... with a 22 game schedule - no league affiliation it would be (imo) a no-brainer to YES - schedule UP Rt.33 -when your post season success is dependent on playing in the Central District Post Season Party you HAVE TO play games vs teams you will compete against in the post season - the Newarks, Hilliard Bradleys, Dublin Jeromes etc. - has to be done BUT to take away the ability to create the "atmosphere" that IS high school basketball like was Jim's Gym last night in the Warren vs Logan game ??? gate $$$. concessions, crowd enthusiasm , getting those who have played for LHS from the past - the old timers if you will - at the games ... there will be no rivalries from teams Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... heck the Logan vs Lancaster game isn't even a rivalry game in basketball ... playing the "quality programs" from Southeast Ohio has to be part of the scheduling equations - Vinton County, Warren, Fairfield Union, Logan Elm , Miami Trace, Chillicothe ALL have programs that are successful every year - great coaching, great crowds - great rivalries ... High School Basketball ... maybe I have an "old timers" view of what high school hoops IS - imo it isn't JUST the game, it's the kids (players/school communities on both sides) getting pumped for THE game, the local communities supporting their teams ... I have traveled ALL OVER Southern and Southeastern Ohio for the last 15 years watching THE RIVALRY GAMES over 60 varsity games every year ... I purposely go see THE GAMES that are between quality TEAMS (great coaches, great talent, great fans, great school communities) - there IS a BIG difference in basketball Above and Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line , the BIGGEST difference is that Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line the school communities, the local communities, the school staffs ALL support TEAM ... everyone has ownership in making the games played exciting - they ALL go into making the atmosphere of THE GAME what it is "like no other" ... the schools, the teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line have "history" - they have "remember when moments" that are talked about for generations ...

... as far as getting on the court during the regular season ? ... anytime your can get your team more comfortable playing in a "winner take all" "one and done " situation the better it is ... even in today's LDN news when Craig Dunn interviewed Coach Maddox after the game , coach brought up how they were "able to get on the (Logan) court" prior to the tournament ... the context made it sound as if he too thinks of it as a "good thing" ... as to will it mean that coaches in the SE district will want to move the sectional venue ? - probably not I suppose but you know how teams vote to keep other teams OUT of leagues due to "things that happened IN THE PAST" - I wouldn't want to bet against it being "an issue" ...

... as far as ME having any knowledge of Logan & Warren NOT playing - I posted that after talking with a person "in the know" from Warren who said "Logan will not schedule us (Warren) next year" - I have no reason to believe this particular person did not know the situation ... if it happens that Logan DOES schedule Warren - awesome ... if not - BOTH schools, SEOhio hoops , the fans/communities lose out on what the game of high school hoops is all about ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

doubleplay643 wrote:Great recap on the game pfloyd, SEOAL football and basketball have closed their chapters. Spring sport closures up next.
... thanks doubleplay643 ... I've been a part of the SEOAL scene for 35 years now, I was raised in Scioto county where ALL sports are KING, the rivalries between schools are REAL, the rivalries between schools CREATE the high school atmosphere that is 2nd to none ... when I took my position with the LHSD the rivalries were STILL there ! just different schools, different histories ... it was STILL High School Sports at its' best ... the SEOAL has been/was KING of the Hill Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line for my 35 years ... sadly as you posted football & basketball - those chapters have closed along with Golf, Soccer, Girls Tennis, Wrestling sooner than later, Volleyball have ALL turned the pages or closed their doors ... the problem now is as those doors close their doesn't appear to be any doors that open - all are locked ...

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Congrats to Logan, I'm going to miss this rivalry as it's been one of my favorites over the years. Best of luck to Logan in the tournaments.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Pfloyd I agree with you . The best Basketball is played South from what we see . By best Basketball it's the teams ,fans ,coaches ,excitement,the best hotdogs and every little thing that adds to its success. A question that I have struggled with is this and I would like your opinion .
What means more to the players and Fans . A: A competitive regular season schedule that produces a 20 plus win season and a possible 1st or 2nd round loss .B: A very rough and tough schedule that produces a 500 season and say a District final loss or win. Which would have a more lasting meaning?
Big games with large crowds are what High Scool Basketball should be about . I guess we will find out in a few months what lies ahead for the Chiefs and Jim's Gym . Thanks for the reply . Big games coming up at Jim's Gym next weekend with some outstanding games and the hotdogs are pretty good!

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

thebarlowbandit wrote:Congrats to Logan, I'm going to miss this rivalry as it's been one of my favorites over the years. Best of luck to Logan in the tournaments.
Barlow, all of us Chieftain fans will miss this rivalry as well, hopefully we can keep it going! This has been a hard fought and intense game over the years! Best of luck to Warren throughout the tournament.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chieftain Fan wrote:Pfloyd I agree with you . The best Basketball is played South from what we see . By best Basketball it's the teams ,fans ,coaches ,excitement,the best hotdogs and every little thing that adds to its success. A question that I have struggled with is this and I would like your opinion .
What means more to the players and Fans . A: A competitive regular season schedule that produces a 20 plus win season and a possible 1st or 2nd round loss .B: A very rough and tough schedule that produces a 500 season and say a District final loss or win. Which would have a more lasting meaning?
Big games with large crowds are what High Scool Basketball should be about . I guess we will find out in a few months what lies ahead for the Chiefs and Jim's Gym . Thanks for the reply . Big games coming up at Jim's Gym next weekend with some outstanding games and the hotdogs are pretty good!
... my two cents worth ... the only way a strong schedule helps you is IF you have a "program" that develops your talent to be able to compete when you play the strong schedule ... it's a disservice to the kids to play THAT type of schedule IF you don't have a program that prepares/developes the kids to play /compete with the opponents on that schedule ... imo you have to have coaches at ALL levels that "coach to develop the talent/fundamentals NEEDED to compete vs a strong schedule" ... IF your coaches at the lower levels are coaching to "WIN" you will not be ABLE to compete at the high school level ... coaches at the lower levels should have as their bottom line goal - develop the talent, make sure that the best of the best have the BEST fundamentals of any of their players ... when Logan played Hilliard Bradley you could see the differences in "programs" between HB and Logan ... HB had 2 freshmen who were ready to play at the varsity level - they have the talent obviously BUT they also ALREADY had the solid fundamentals needed to be successful as varsity players ... in "programs" that are successful every year - the varsity level players HAVE solid fundamentals, so much so that the time spent in practices and by coaches is spent learning the nuances of "positions" - learning how to play the game NOT learning the fundamentals of the game - does that make sense ? imo successful varsity programs are only as good as the coaching/teaching of the fundamentals at the lower levels - a head coach has to be able to tell his coaching staff "this is what I want" from my middle school players - preparation ... not necessarily winning at all costs, play as many players as possible, teach the fundamentals to as many players as possible so ALL of them can contribute as varsity players depending on their physical development ...

... I can't answer for what kids and coaches or even fans want ... you can't play cupcakes and improve - a solid schedule is needed for sure ... BUT you can only have a schedule that meets the preparation you have put in via your program emphasis ... if your program is built on the "physical" talent of your players you will be successful only in the UP cycle years ... IF your program is built on developing ALL of the talent with solid fundamentals then you have the Logan Elms, the Warrens, the Oak Hills, the Vinton Counties where they are competitive year in year out even in the years when the talent ISN'T as good as the UP years ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”