Your School's Most Memorable Winning Shot In Tournament Play

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Your School's Most Memorable Winning Shot In Tournament Play

Post by trojandave »

What is your school's memorable winning shot in the tournament?

As a Portsmouth Trojans fan and alumnus, the most memorable winning shot I have witnessed was by Wayne Evans in the 2011 regional final vs. Chesapeake at Athens. The Panthers Eric Kennedy made 2 FT's to give CHS a 68-67 lead with just 11 seconds remaining. Evans took the inbounds pass and drove the length of the court, scoring on a teardrop shot in the middle of the lane with 4 seconds left, giving the Trojans a 69-68 lead. Chesapeake's half court shot missed its mark at the buzzer, and PHS advanced to the Final 4 for the first time since 1990.

I have seen regional final games for since the late 70's, and that game was the most exciting final that I can remember. Close all the way, and Portsmouth beat a great Chesapeake team that was in the Final 4 just the year before and returned 4 starters from that team.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Your School's Most Memorable Winning Shot In Tournament Play

Post by trojandave »

I will nominate this shot for Warren fans.......Evan Yabs tip-in at the buzzer vs. New Philadelphia in the 2013 regional final at Athens. Yabs winning shot gave the Warriors their first trip to the Final 4.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

In the mid 70's

Athens beating Logan that the ball was still in the Athens players hand while the buzzer went off :lol:
Last edited by Raider6309 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

trojandave wrote:What is your school's memorable winning shot in the tournament?

As a Portsmouth Trojans fan and alumnus, the most memorable winning shot I have witnessed was by Wayne Evans in the 2011 regional final vs. Chesapeake at Athens. The Panthers Colin Kennedy made 2 FT's to give CHS a 68-67 lead with just 11 seconds remaining. Evans took the inbounds pass and drove the length of the court, scoring on a teardrop shot in the middle of the lane with 4 seconds left, giving the Trojans a 69-68 lead. Chesapeake's half court shot missed its mark at the buzzer, and PHS advanced to the Final 4 for the first time since 1990.

I have seen regional final games for since the late 70's, and that game was the most exciting final that I can remember. Close all the way, and Portsmouth beat a great Chesapeake team that was in the Final 4 just the year before and returned 4 starters from that team.
I remember that shot Dave. One of the most memorable plays in the history of the convo. That Chesapeake team was even better than the year before and seemed destined to make it back to the final four.

ROLL PEAKE
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Beau Justice's shot at the buzzer against Trimble that put Peebles in the regionals.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

This isn't a tourney one, but it's an opponents shot. Fu was playing Logan Elm, back in the Evan Blake days. Kid, who I think is their 7th grade coach now, or maybe it wasn't him, hit a game winning half court shot. First and only shot I've witnessed like that in person. It was at FU and the place was so quiet, outside the LE folks.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Ryan Borden, for Oak Hill. Hit the two game tying three pointers to send the state championship game into overtime and double overtime.

Basketball:30
Riding the Bench

Post by Basketball:30 »

It'd be great if some of you could attach videos with your memorable shot! I found the Warren-NewPhilly shot on youtube! Wow!

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Hoopie74 wrote:Beau Justice's shot at the buzzer against Trimble that put Peebles in the regionals.
This shot is on YouTube

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Basketball:30 wrote:It'd be great if some of you could attach videos with your memorable shot! I found the Warren-NewPhilly shot on youtube! Wow!
Link?

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Basketball:30 wrote:It'd be great if some of you could attach videos with your memorable shot! I found the Warren-NewPhilly shot on youtube! Wow!
Trojandave's nomination is on YouTube. Type in Chesapeake-Portsmouth Shot Heard Round the State

And for the record Dave, it was ERIC Kennedy that hit the go ahead free throws :mrgreen:

ROLL PEAKE
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

2014 - Valley's Chris Flowers buries a 3 to send the Indians to the Regionals and eliminate the Portsmouth Trojans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdXtLb5uGBs

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Falcon01 wrote:
Link?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4II73TS0fXc
Here is the tip in, still gives me chills

Go Blue
Coach SLegg
Waterboy

Post by Coach SLegg »

Back-to-Back Regional Heart-Stoppers for Piketon in 2009 in route to Final 4...

Cody Smith rebound basket puts Piketon into Regional Finals…
2008-09 – Regional Semi-Finals at OU-Athens - Piketon vs North Adams
Smith rebounded an errant last shot attempt by Evan Legg and put it in with 4.5 seconds remaining to put the Streaks ahead 74-72. The undefeated North Adams’s last second attempt failed. It was Piketon’s 1st ever Regional victory.

Jordan Brabson bank shot forces OT in Regional Finals…
2008-09 – Regional Finals at OU-Athens - Piketon vs Columbus Grandview Heights
Brabson banked home a 12-footer from the elbow to tie the score to force overtime, and ultimately a RedStreak victory. The Streaks had trailed Grandview Heights by 10 points with 2:22 to go in the 4th until the "Magic" began to happen for the Streaks. Three 3s (Brabson, Smith, Vulgamore), a huge defensive rebound (Southworth) on a missed Grandview FT, and a Piketon offensive rebound by 5'7" soph Jared Vulgamore led to the dramatic game-tying shot.

Here Comes the Streaks!
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Here's one that was on the biggest stage of all......the 2008 D2 state championship game between Toledo Libbey and Chillicothe......with about 7 seconds left to play, and Libbey winning 69-68, the Cavaliers' Anthony Hitchens takes the inbound pass, dribbles to the opposing foul line, makes a perfect bounce pass by Libbey's William Buford (Ohio State) to 6-7 center Ray Chambers, and Chambers banks a layup off the glass at the buzzer for a 70-69 win. That gave the Cavaliers the gold trophy to bring home. That shot is frozen in time by photo in the Chillicothe HS trophy case.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, bbn77, for the correction about which Kennedy made the FT's. I edited my post above.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

One shot I would like to forget......but it did happen......was Wheelersburg's Dylan Miller's 3 pointer at the buzzer that unfortunately eliminated my Portsmouth Trojans from the 2013 sectional tournament 45-42.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Just mentioned this one the other day to Waverly coach Travis Robertson........as PG for Washington CH (and a REALLY good one).....he made a half court shot at the buzzer in the 1992 D2 regional semifinal to beat Cambridge whose star player was Geno Ford.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

trojandave wrote:Thanks, bbn77, for the correction about which Kennedy made the FT's. I edited my post above.
No problem trojandave. Love hearing your stories on SEOPS. Maybe you need to get your own book with some other posters

ROLL PEAKE

Return to “Boys Basketball”