Your School's Most Memorable Winning Shot In Tournament Play

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Your School's Most Memorable Winning Shot In Tournament Play

Post by trojandave »

art vandelay: The shot you're referring to in the Ironton vs. Portsmouth sectional game was in 1989. Daryl Lisath banked in a 3 pointer from about 35 feet to send the game into overtime, then the Trojans outlasted the Fighting Tigers to advance to Athens. That year Portsmouth won the district title and had to play the regional at Hara Arena in Dayton. Cincinnati Forest Park, whom the Trojans beat 90-80 in 2 OT in the regional final in 1988 at UD Arena, was the opponent. This time Alex Davis (Ohio State) and the Chargers got payback with an 84-80 win in the semifinal.

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

Crab's Brother wrote:2014 - Valley's Chris Flowers buries a 3 to send the Indians to the Regionals and eliminate the Portsmouth Trojans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdXtLb5uGBs
I didn't see you after that game, but I have never seen someone so excited as you were in 2010 when Utley buried the 3 against Portsmouth at Jackson! My neck still hurts from you squeezing the back of it lol

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

trojandave wrote:Just mentioned this one the other day to Waverly coach Travis Robertson........as PG for Washington CH (and a REALLY good one).....he made a half court shot at the buzzer in the 1992 D2 regional semifinal to beat Cambridge whose star player was Geno Ford.
Is there a video of that one?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

I don't remember the year,but Peebles vs Wheelerburg,District( I think Finals) . Peebles is up waining seconds.Randy Meade makes steal and goes for dunk. Misses it. Wheelerburg takes ball length of court for a layup shot from the foul line as time runs out. Burg wins by I think 1 point in Double OT.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

smurray: Don't know of any video available......but I was there and it was quite a moment for Coach Robertson.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Trojandave will remember a shot from Trojans coach Collin hit a buzzer beater over ranked Columbus mifflin? at ptown. I also recall that burg- ptown 84 game up by 10+ and they wouldn't quit shooting the ball, burg won in ot

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

Alitown wrote:
Crab's Brother wrote:2014 - Valley's Chris Flowers buries a 3 to send the Indians to the Regionals and eliminate the Portsmouth Trojans.

I didn't see you after that game, but I have never seen someone so excited as you were in 2010 when Utley buried the 3 against Portsmouth at Jackson! My neck still hurts from you squeezing the back of it lol
And those are the most memorable shots of ALL time??? Hope they at least made it to state?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Noitall wrote:
Alitown wrote:

And those are the most memorable shots of ALL time??? Hope they at least made it to state?
In the tournament , not of all time.

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

I've had to much wine tonight ,I'm done.
Sorry

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Noitall wrote:I've had to much wine tonight ,I'm done.
Sorry
Lol! There have been much, much worse posts from people that hadn't had any wine, so it's all good.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

https://youtu.be/qJ92Vr1uEBo

Portsmouth shot that was mentioned

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Hoopie74 wrote:I don't remember the year,but Peebles vs Wheelerburg,District( I think Finals) . Peebles is up waining seconds.Randy Meade makes steal and goes for dunk. Misses it. Wheelerburg takes ball length of court for a layup shot from the foul line as time runs out. Burg wins by I think 1 point in Double OT.

I've watched a lot of Burg basketball over the last 40 years and I do not remember this game. I remember Burg beating Fairland I think with a shot at the buzzer in the Districts.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The shot that Eugene Collins made at the buzzer was against Columbus East at PHS......the Trojans won the game 62-61. That was a really good Columbus East team the Trojans beat that night.

reds4life
Waterboy

Post by reds4life »

LucasDavenport wrote:That 1982 Sectional final was one the best games I ever watched and there were several battles in the 70s and 80s at Portsmouth for Sectional Titles. That Burg Team was the first to make it to Columbus and had Paul Newman along with Walke and Staker. They defeated Martins Ferry in the Regional Final behind Newmans 42 points. John Eaton was the coach.

I believe Youngstown Rayen lost to Dayton ROTH (which might have morphed into Dayton Dunbar). Keith Byars played for Dayton ROTH in that state tournament.

The next time (1984) that Wheelersburg made it to Columbus they should have lost to Portsmouth in the District Finals. Down by 10+ with 3:00 to go (no 3 point shot) and Lee Hooks missed a dunk on a breakaway. If I remember the ball went 20 feet high off the miss. Todd Staker and company came all the way back and won in regulation. Tom Smith will tell you that loss still hurts. TrojanDave might concur.

For my money the 82 team was one of the best ever from this area and Had 3 of Burgs all time top 10 players (and could be argued top 5)
I was 5 yrs old at the '82 Burg games. That stretch of games made me fall in love with basketball. I remember wearing the free Long John Silvers pirate hats to the games.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

trojandave wrote:art vandelay: The shot you're referring to in the Ironton vs. Portsmouth sectional game was in 1989. Daryl Lisath banked in a 3 pointer from about 35 feet to send the game into overtime, then the Trojans outlasted the Fighting Tigers to advance to Athens. That year Portsmouth won the district title and had to play the regional at Hara Arena in Dayton. Cincinnati Forest Park, whom the Trojans beat 90-80 in 2 OT in the regional final in 1988 at UD Arena, was the opponent. This time Alex Davis (Ohio State) and the Chargers got payback with an 84-80 win in the semifinal.
That's the one...I still remember the crowd's roar when that shot went in. May have been as loud as I've ever heard it in Webster's gym (although Burg/Webster 2006 game comes to mind as well).*

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

reds4life: I certainly do remember the 1983 and 1984 tournament games between Portsmouth and Wheelersburg. Both games went into OT, with the Trojans winning in 1983, and the Pirates winning in 1984. I also remember how scorching hot Todd Staker and Craig Brown were in the 1984 state championship game vs. Akron St.Vincent-St.Mary, coached by Joe Suboticki, who 4 years later would come to Portsmouth. Staker and Brown almost shot the Burg to a state title, even without the 3 point line. I think the Irish PG at the time was Curtis Wilson, who went on to have a really good career at Ohio State.

In fact, the first 3 tournament games between the Trojans and Pirates went into OT......1978, 1983, and 1984.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
Hoopie74 wrote:I don't remember the year,but Peebles vs Wheelerburg,District( I think Finals) . Peebles is up waining seconds.Randy Meade makes steal and goes for dunk. Misses it. Wheelerburg takes ball length of court for a layup shot from the foul line as time runs out. Burg wins by I think 1 point in Double OT.

I've watched a lot of Burg basketball over the last 40 years and I do not remember this game. I remember Burg beating Fairland I think with a shot at the buzzer in the Districts.
I think it was mid 90s. Our sectionals were at Waverly. I worked at the A plant and worked with a Blevins at that time. I was getting teased at halftime because Peebles was down . Indians made comeback,tied and went to OT. After the game my burg friends were shocked that they bout got beaten by such a small school.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

TrojanDave: You are correct--- Curtis Wilson was on that ASVSM team. Another player on that team was Frank Stamms who was an All American in football at Notre Dame and played professionally with the Raiders.

And the point was actually played by another kid you might remember--- Jerome Lane. He became famous nationally a few years later when he broke the backboard while playing for Pitt. That dunk also helped Bill Rafferty establish himself as a commentator with his now famous "Send it in Jerome!" The passer on that Alley Oop to Lane was Sean Miller who now coaches U of Arizona.

I remember in the second half of the state championship game and the look on Lane's face as Wilson threw the ball into him after Craig Brown buried another bomb or Staker made one of his characteristic 12 footers. I believe Staker played with 4 fouls most of the second half. If there was a 3 point line in 84 then Craig Brown would have been remembered as the hero in a Wheelersburg State Championship

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Symmes Valley in 2002. Went to state and lost to Eastern.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

:?:
Year was 1989.

Return to “Boys Basketball”