All Time Records of SE District Teams at State Tournament

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

All Time Records of SE District Teams at State Tournament

Post by trojandave »

The SE District historically has been well represented at the state tournament. A total of 47 schools, some now no longer in existence, have made the penultimate trip of high school basketball. Here is a roster of the schools that have made the state from the SE district and their overall record, with state champions listed with the school and year.

Albany.........0-1
Belpre.........1-3
Chesapeake...0-1
Chillicothe....2-2......2008 (D2)
Unioto.........1-1
Zane Trace...0-1
Logan Elm....0-1
Frankfort.....0-1
Franklin Furnace Green.....0-1
Gallipolis.....2-1
Greenfield...0-1
Hillsboro.....0-1
Hillsboro Marshall.....4-1.....1928 (Class B)
Glenford.....8-4.....1941 (Class B)
Ironton......1-3
Kitts Hill....0-1
Lancaster...0-3 (no longer in SE district)
Latham.....0-1
Lucasville Valley.....0-2
Manchester....2-1
Marietta....7-8
Whiteoak...0-1
Nelsonville....1-3
New Boston...1-2
New Lexington St.Aloysius.....2-0......1954(Class B)
New Lexington......0-1
Oak Hill......2-0.....2009, D4
Portsmouth.....16-11.....1931 (Class A), 1961 (Class AA), 1978 (Class AA), 1988 (D2)
Piketon......0-1
Proctorville and Fairland.....0-3
Racine and Racine Southern....1-3
Reedsville Eastern....0-1
Rome....2-1
Southeastern Ross.....0-5
Sardinia Eastern Brown.....0-1
South Webster.....2-1....2006(D4)
Seaman North Adams.....0-1
Stewart......0-2
Vincent Warren.....0-1
Lynchburg Clay.....0-2
Washington CH.....0-1
Washington CH Miami Trace.....0-1
Waverly......0-1
Waterloo....6-1.....1934(Class B), 1935(Class B)
Wheelersburg......2-6

Hopefully I included every school in this list......I got my information from the OHSAA state tournament program and a book entitled "The Sweet 16" published by the OHSAA in 1953 which lists every state tournament game from 1953 on back to the beginning of the tourney in 1923. The state tournament has had different formats in its history. 1923-1924 was a Sweet 16 format, 1925-1935 was an Elite 8 state tournament, 1936-1942 the state tournament returned to a Sweet 16 format, and from 1943 to the present time the tournament has been a Final 4 format.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:22 am, edited 9 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: All Time Records of SE District Teams at State Tournament

Post by trojandave »

Since 2000, the SE district has a very good record of producing at least 1 team to the state tournament. A SE team has appeared in the OHSAA state tournament in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2016. The last team to win the state title from the SE district was Oak Hill in 2009, beating Kalida, Portsmouth in 2012 was the last school to win a game in the state tournament, beating Ottawa-Glandorf 74-66, while Lynchburg Clay has the most recent appearance, that being in 2016. In 2009, 3 schools, Logan Elm in D2, Piketon in D3, and Oak Hill in D4 all advanced to the state tournament.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth has played in the most state tournament games with 27, Marietta has played in 15, Glenford (no longer exists) played in 12, Wheelersburg has played in 8, the Waterloo Wonders played in 7, while Southeastern Ross and Hillsboro Marshall(no longer exists) have played in 5.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

9 schools, Portsmouth, Oak Hill, Gallipolis, Manchester, Glenford, New Lexington St.Aloysius, Somerset, South Webster, and Waterloo all have winning records in state tournament play.

Not sure if the Manchester listed in the state tournament program is the Manchester in Adams County. I know there is a school known as Akron Manchester. Akron Manchester produced a good Kentucky Wildcat player back in the late 70's named Mike Phillips.

Also, Glenford and Somerset are both in Perry County, but Glenford is documented as a SE district school, while Somerset is not. So I took Somerset out of the listing above.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

When did North Adams win their game? I thought the infamous Miami East game was a semifinal.

And Rome ? From the Proctorville area?
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Awesome info Dave. Always get some butterflies when people bring up the Waterloo wonders.

ROLL PEAKE
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

LucasDavenport: My mistake......North Adams is actually 0-1, having lost to Casstown Miami East in the semifinal on a shot that was ruled good but clearly came after the buzzer......Miami East then went on to win the state title in D3. North Adams record has been edited to show 0-1.

Also, I omitted Glenford, which won the state title in Class B in 1941. They have an 8-4 record in state tournament play, and have the second most wins of any SE school. The above post has been edited to show Glenford's record.

There are two villages named Rome that I know of......a tiny one in Adams County along the river, and the other being in Lawrence County. I have edited the above post to include the Rome of Lawrence County which went 2-1 in 1930, finishing state runnerup in Class B.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

I thought Racine was 1-2 not 1-3.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Racine, now Southern, made the state round in the early 1930s, maybe 1932? That's why they're 1-3.

Coach SLegg
Waterboy

Post by Coach SLegg »

TrojanDave,
Is this book entitled "The Sweet 16" published by the OHSAA from 1953 available somewhere that can be purchased?

Here Comes the Streaks!
MTRay23
Freshman Team

Post by MTRay23 »

You missed one, Miami Trace was in the Class AAA Final Four in 1978 and lost in the semi-finals to Kettering Alter. i remember going to every game. I think we went to Cambridge for districts, then had the regionals at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. I remember there was a water leak in the roof of the Coliseum and there was a big piece of plastic hanging over top of the court and they had to mop up water on the court at timeouts and in between qtrs.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

This is a great compilation TrojanDave.

Much appreciated

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Thanks for sharing Dave...I love basketball history. Proud to be a part of three Portsmouth Trojan appearances and one at Piketon. I hope to get back before I retire :) ...again!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

MTRay23: Thanks for the correction......I knew I probably omitted someone........I went over the index of teams in the OHSAA program and somehow skipped over Miami Trace......my initial post has been edited to include Miami Trace's record.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Coach SLegg: Portsmouth assistant coach Jim Arnzen gave me his copy of the book that actually belonged to his father, the great coach Bob Arnzen, who won multiple state titles at Delphos St.John's. There is no other copy that I know of in circulation.

TVC: Racine made an appearance in 1933 and lost in the first round to Lawrenceville 49-38, so their record is 1-3. Of course back then the school was not known as Racine Southern, but I combined both school's appearances.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

MTRay23 wrote:You missed one, Miami Trace was in the Class AAA Final Four in 1978 and lost in the semi-finals to Kettering Alter. i remember going to every game. I think we went to Cambridge for districts, then had the regionals at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. I remember there was a water leak in the roof of the Coliseum and there was a big piece of plastic hanging over top of the court and they had to mop up water on the court at timeouts and in between qtrs.
Yes, I will never forget my battles with Art Schlichter! Art lit us up his sophomore year for 29 in the Convo although we won the game, and as Juniors Miami Trace beat us in the Sectionals at the Convo. After that game Art and I talked about meeting each other again as seniors; however luckily for the both of us Portsmouth went from Class AAA to Class AA, while Miami Trace remained Class AAA. We both ended up in Columbus our senior year and I remember our team went to the game and watched Art Schlichter (Miami Trace) battle John Paxson (Kettering Alter) in that State Semi-Final game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”