D4 3/1 #3 Peebles vs. #6 South Webster

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: D4 3/1 #3 Peebles vs. #6 South Webster

Post by Ironman92 »

swbaseballfan wrote:alek blevis made shots when they were needed and his brother shiloh got rebounds to keep peebles from getting the ball back on missed shots, and the guards kept the ball away from peebles on the offensive side...each player played to keep their team in the game and to move on to the next game. a true team performance
Thanks, very interested in Peebles perspective as well. I wasn't rooting for either team, just a high school basketball fan and this just seemed like a dead even matchup.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

Ironman92 wrote:
swbaseballfan wrote:alek blevis made shots when they were needed and his brother shiloh got rebounds to keep peebles from getting the ball back on missed shots, and the guards kept the ball away from peebles on the offensive side...each player played to keep their team in the game and to move on to the next game. a true team performance
Thanks, very interested in Peebles perspective as well. I wasn't rooting for either team, just a high school basketball fan and this just seemed like a dead even matchup.
it was as dead even as it gets, peebles was no pushover

you will never catch a red light in webster!!
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote:
Another great Peebles ,South Webster game. Just like in the 60s and 70s.They left it on the floor.I don't know what Peebles was thinking when they got up 13 middle of third and quit attacking and running offense. We did this all year. Never seem to finish. Props to Webster for not quiting. I felt bad for our little freshman guard. Sure wish he could have sent it to OT. I believe Gordley (21 points,6 blocks, 14 or 15 rebounds)would have taken over the game had we set plays for him.Well,we get out the bats and Webster keeps moving on. Go get them jeeps.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

The long layoff really hurt Peebles during the begining of this game. We were really sluggish.Sometimes I think a bye game hurts high school teams.I do wish we could have made this game at OU. Northwest has always been a place where our teams struggle to shoot for some reason. I believe either of these teams would do well in our Bracket at OU. Congrats and go get em Jeeps.I think you guys have a good chance of getting to final or farther.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote:
swbaseballfan wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:I really hope bbjunky and hoopie give a game rundown on this. Thanks for all updates swbaseballfan

But I want details.
the only details i can give you is hold your breath and pray lol...it went from far behind at the half, a close game in the 3rd qtr, and being a perfect team in the 4th, a game for the ages!!!! its good to be a jeep tonight!!!
Lol...I want names. Who hit the late shots? Who played great? Who made pivotal plays throughout the game? Change of defenses cause problems....ft shooting. Individual stats.
For Peebles Gordley ended with 21 and around 14 rbs,Parrott ended with 21,We had a couple that didn't shoot well tonight, and the Freshman Browning got alot of minutes and 4 pts. Gordley missed a jumpshot at the foul line in the waining seconds .Browning got the RB and was fouled. He missed the ft and time ran out. The biggest play though was a bad pass inbounds under the basket buy Peebles with a chance to tie with about 20.sec left.The older Blevins boy willed his team back into this game. I think he had 25 points. Several in the final 5 minutes.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Unreal game between two solid D4 teams. Webster led 13-9 after 1st. Then Peebles exploded for 28pts in 2nd quarter to take a 37-29 lead at half. I seriously don't know if they missed more than 2 shots that quarter. Peebles stretched lead to 44-31 with about 4 minutes left in 3rd. Webster's coach took a technical that seemed costly at the time but actually fired Webster up and they cut the Peebles lead to 6pts at end of 3rd. 4th quarter was just play after play by both teams. Peebles struggled with Webster's pressure and had a few untimely turnovers.

Alex Blevins of Webster was the best player on the floor tonight. 26pts and 10 rebounds and the game-winning jumper with 7 seconds left. But most impressive thing he did was shut down Arey in the 1st half and Gordley in the 2nd half (held Gordley to 5pts in 2nd half despite giving up about 6 inches). I've seen a lot of Webster basketball over the years and Alek Blevins' game tonight was one of the best all-around performances I've ever seen from a Webster player. Zimmerman had 18pts despite battling foul trouble the whole game and Matthew Schonkwiler added 12 puts including a huge and-1 with about a minute left in game.

Peebles really impressed me. Gordley had 21pts and Parrot (sp?) had 21pts on six 3-pointers. Arey had an off night (5pts....also battled foul trouble in 2nd half) but could see what a player he was. A true shame somebody had to lose this game as it was a District Final-caliber matchup. Congrats to Coach Fenton and the Jeeps.*

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Hoopie74 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
Another great Peebles ,South Webster game. Just like in the 60s and 70s.They left it on the floor.I don't know what Peebles was thinking when they got up 13 middle of third and quit attacking and running offense. We did this all year. Never seem to finish. Props to Webster for not quiting. I felt bad for our little freshman guard. Sure wish he could have sent it to OT. I believe Gordley (21 points,6 blocks, 14 or 15 rebounds)would have taken over the game had we set plays for him.Well,we get out the bats and Webster keeps moving on. Go get them jeeps.
Hoopie: I've heard stories from a few Webster old-timers about the games between Webster and Peebles back in the Tri-County League days. One involved a huge fight at Peebles in the early 70s! Given the schools' similarities, I wouldn't mind seeing them get together for some non-conference games in the near future.*

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

My buddy Mike as in Rose might like to get that rivalry going again too..Love that guy. We need to play again. It was always a knockdown dragout. I miss the old tri-county league.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Wow, what a game!

Hoopie74 did a really good job of explaining it. It was a terrific game between two very good teams. It was one of those games where it's a shame one team had to lose, honestly.

Jeeps jumped on Peebles early, only for Peebles to explode in the 2nd quarter. It seemed like they didn't miss a shot! Webster was down 8 at the half and Peebles stretched it to 13 about halfway through the 3rd. Jeeps went on a run and was able to regain the lead with around 3-4 minutes left in the 4th. Even still, Peebles got the lead one more time only for Webster to hit a shot with 7 seconds left to seal the deal.

Alek Blevins was phenomenal for South Webster! One of the all time great Webster performances no doubt. Radio had him for 26 and 10. The Gordley kid was terrific! He's a beast inside, and constantly blocking/altering shots. The Parritt (sp?) was a dead eye shooter all evening. It truly was an even matchup between two solid teams.

I think the play of the game was when South Webster was making their run, 5'10" Alek Blevins elevated big time and scored over top of a contesting 6'5" Gordley. That seemed to set the tone and he just took over from there.

I will also say this... every Peebles fan I talked to was PURE CLASS! Supportive of their team, respectful, just pure class. They have a terrific program for a reason.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Thanks guys.

Old man Blevins just keeps growing as a player it seems. First game of the season I walked away thinking...man that kid is fast and looks 28 years old. After watching him in the sectional semis his game had grown a ton. He was not only lighting quick and the oldest looking guard in the district...but the top defensive player I had watched all season and his offense was way more of a factor. He didn't force anything but got to the hole numerous times...even hit some 3's. The kid is a big time player and after reading last night's recap....I look for him to quietly be one of the most exciting players at the convo.

His defense reminds me some of Waginger, I know that's too much but kid is a major defensive factor to say the least.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Ironman92 wrote:Thanks guys.

Old man Blevins just keeps growing as a player it seems. First game of the season I walked away thinking...man that kid is fast and looks 28 years old. After watching him in the sectional semis his game had grown a ton. He was not only lighting quick and the oldest looking guard in the district...but the top defensive player I had watched all season and his offense was way more of a factor. He didn't force anything but got to the hole numerous times...even hit some 3's. The kid is a big time player and after reading last night's recap....I look for him to quietly be one of the most exciting players at the convo.

His defense reminds me some of Waginger, I know that's too much but kid is a major defensive factor to say the least.
Post game show Coach Fenton talked about Alek Blevins being one of the best defensive players he ever coached or played with, and Waginger was the one who came to mind for me as well. But a great halftime adjustment by Coach Fenton and his staff in moving Blevins on to Gordley in second half. Shiloah Blevins was having trouble with Gordley's physicality in the 1st half and in second half, Gordley could barely get a shot off.*

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

I'm proud of our Indians. They played hard just couldn't get it all going and Webster's Defense had alot to do with that. Starting the season the Indian's had only three players with any varsity experience. I never said it all year but ,my fears for this team showed up several times thru out the season. Experience,and depth.Im sure Tanner Arey is upset today ,but ; it will be up to him to lead the Indian's back on the court this winter to carry on our tradition here at PHS.Someone else will step up ,and with the guiding hand of Coach Arey I believe we will put another good team on the floor for Peebles Basketball. If we can keep them healthy. We're starting football this fall for the first time since the mid Seventies.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

art_vandelay wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:Thanks guys.

Post game show Coach Fenton talked about Alek Blevins being one of the best defensive players he ever coached or played with, and Waginger was the one who came to mind for me as well. But a great halftime adjustment by Coach Fenton and his staff in moving Blevins on to Gordley in second half. Shiloah Blevins was having trouble with Gordley's physicality in the 1st half and in second half, Gordley could barely get a shot off.*
I agree Art with your assessment on Gordley. I guess the thing that disappoints me most is how tenantive Arey became after he picked up his third foul. He's the playmaker who normally takes over our games in the fourth quarter,but; for some reason it wasn't there last night.He usually finishes at the rim and goes to the foul line to ice the game. I guess that's High School Hoops.I talked to our freshmans grandpa last night after the game. He was probably one of the best players to ever play at Peebles. He said he was proud of them and was ready to do some things with his grandson. It's just been that kind of year. Good luck and good health to all.

Mailman
All Conference

Re: D4 3/1 #3 Peebles vs. #6 South Webster/#11 Whiteoak (Northwest)

Post by Mailman »

Spectator555 wrote:Who are their three guards your referring to? Only kids that stood out to me was their center, (the younger Blevins) and their shooting guard Zimmerman. All the others seemed to be role players to them
I guess we know who the 3rd player is now. The older Blevins.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I watched two really good games last night, and this nightcap was as good as it gets. South Webster made a spirited comeback down 44-31. I thought that the Jeeps stepped up the pressure on D and caused a number of critical Indian turnovers. Blevins did do a great job on Gordley, and offensively was the best player on the floor. He proved that he was clutch with the game winner with 7 seconds to play.

I felt bad for the kid missing the front end of the 1 and 1, but he will come through in his career in the same situation. It's tough for any freshman with so much on the line. Peebles always has a good basketball team, and next year we'll see more of the same.

Thanks to the SW fan I sat next to......he played for the Jeeps in 1984........he didn't rub it in about my Trojans being manhandled by the Jeeps.... :D.....he was very nice and had a lot of spirit..... I can identify with someone like that.

Return to “Boys Basketball”