Charging for "Parking" at high school basketball games?

toast
All State

Charging for "Parking" at high school basketball games?

Post by toast »

I've been going to high school basketball games for nearly half a century and I've never had to pay to "PARK" on school property…..until last night! Attended the Waverly vs Alexander boys basketball game at "JACKSON" and had to pay two dollars to park on the school parking lot. Seems very unusual to me.

A couple of question:

1. Do other schools charge for parking at high school basketball games?

2. Who authorizes this at Jackson? The BOE, the athletic director or someone else?

Seems very out of the ordinary to me.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Re: Charging for "Parking" at high school basketball games?

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Been complaining for years, it's how they pay for athletics without invoking "pay to participate"

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

It's 2.00 bucks!!! Go to an Ohio State Game or even OU game and you are paying from $5-$25!!

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Paid to park at OU for tourney games for years.

Leo Byrd
SEO

Post by Leo Byrd »

Been paying 5 bucks to park under the convo for many a year.............

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

toast wrote:I've been going to high school basketball games for nearly half a century and I've never had to pay to "PARK" on school property…..until last night! Attended the Waverly vs Alexander boys basketball game at "JACKSON" and had to pay two dollars to park on the school parking lot. Seems very unusual to me.

A couple of question:

2. Who authorizes this at Jackson? The BOE, the athletic director or someone else?

they chaeged to park at Jackson even in regular season games

seohhoops
Freshman Team

Post by seohhoops »

They have been charging there since the school opened as far as I know.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
toast wrote:I've been going to high school basketball games for nearly half a century and I've never had to pay to "PARK" on school property…..until last night! Attended the Waverly vs Alexander boys basketball game at "JACKSON" and had to pay two dollars to park on the school parking lot. Seems very unusual to me.

A couple of question:

they chaeged to park at Jackson even in regular season games
You have to charge during the season in order to charge during the postseason.

OU has charged $5 to park for as long as I can remember.

Your team won an exciting sectional final against a pretty heavy favorite and you are bothered by $2 ?

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I'm very excited and pleased Waverly came in as the underdog and won an exciting tournament game against a good Alexander team. Jackson's facilities are very nice and the workers were friendly. I am "bothered" by the fact Jackson charges for parking. I'm able to separate those two facts. And I can assure you I'm not the only one bothered by Jackson charging for parking. And it's not the amount they charge; it's the fact they are charging any amount to park for a high school game.

Yes, colleges charge for parking at tournament games. But I'm still not aware of "any other high school school" charging for parking for a basketball game.

So are there other schools that charge for parking or is Jackson the only one in southern Ohio? It would be common courtesy not to charge when no other schools charge.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

I agree its bs to charge to park, but it is only $2. If i were from jackson having to pay $2 for every home game i would be very frustrated just for the principle of it because i already pay taxes. At OU there is free parking, you just have to walk a ways. And its a major college allowing us to use a great facility so who cares about $5 when they dont clear the arena(which ohsaa probably hates lol)

How many schools have pay to play? Gallia Academy is the only on that i know of.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

They charge 2 dollars @ Meadowbrook Sectional and OUE District

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

toast wrote:I'm very excited and pleased Waverly came in as the underdog and won an exciting tournament game against a good Alexander team. Jackson's facilities are very nice and the workers were friendly. I am "bothered" by the fact Jackson charges for parking. I'm able to separate those two facts. And I can assure you I'm not the only one bothered by Jackson charging for parking. And it's not the amount they charge; it's the fact they are charging any amount to park for a high school game.

Yes, colleges charge for parking at tournament games. But I'm still not aware of "any other high school school" charging for parking for a basketball game.

So are there other schools that charge for parking or is Jackson the only one in southern Ohio? It would be common courtesy not to charge when no other schools charge.
I don't like paying $2 to park for football or basketball games, but about 7 years in it just gets old to listen to....and anyone (not saying anyone on here did this) that gripes at the person standing in the cold to collect money....needs to not be there to put it nicely.

I could also choose to park for free at the bottom of the hill and get a little exercise or could carpool and share the costs.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Never really had a problem with 2 dollar parking at Jackson even though we playfully complained just to give our Jackson friends a hard time lol and they have great facility s . but...I really like that they moved us to eagerly ,eagerly does an Excellent job hosting games much easier drive from Portsmouth and when split sessions you have plenty of restaurants right out the front door you can walk to between games. Like I said no complaints about Jackson they do A great job as well

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Maybe more schools should start charging to park.
OU "lets" us use their facilities... it is a public university.
Last edited by Raiderball on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

Zanesville and Meadowbrook charge for parking that I know of.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Once Waverly gets turf (this year) and new paved parking where the school building once sat we'll see if Waverly goes to "pay to park". I doubt they do but they may offer some nice season ticket/reserved parking packages.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Pretty BS Zanesville and Jackson charges for parking. Even girls sports. Both of those schools already get enough of my state taxes. Maybe they should add a 1%-2% income tax for the school district if they are hurting for money

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

You do realize that your Taxes goes towards education, right?? Athletics is a different beast. When it comes to money schools have to be creative to stay in the Black for Athletics!! You are holding a grudge over 2 dollars. Maybe you should be driving behind me because I usually pay for my car and the next car behind me as a good gesture. I may even do that at OU!!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Regulator wrote:You do realize that your Taxes goes towards education, right?? Athletics is a different beast. When it comes to money schools have to be creative to stay in the Black for Athletics!! You are holding a grudge over 2 dollars. Maybe you should be driving behind me because I usually pay for my car and the next car behind me as a good gesture. I may even do that at OU!!
I can see charging just for football but girls basketball. Come on

nkb
Waterboy

Post by nkb »

I TAKE EXCEPTION TO THE POST "THEY EVEN CHARGE FOR GIRL'S GAMES". THE YEAR IS 2015 NOT 1915. BY THE WAY I HAVE WATCHED GAMES
WHERE GIRLS WOULD MAKE FOOLS OF BOYS IF THEY WERE ALLOWED TO COMPETE AGAINST BOYS.

Return to “Boys Basketball”