Vinton County 56 Logan 47 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Vinton County 56 Logan 47 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 47
Vinton County 56 a final

... a "packed house" at Jim's Gym tonight to watch state ranked and one of the top teams in the SouthEast District - Vinton County- take on a team looking for respect and one that needs to get a BIG "W" on their resume' - the Logan Purple and White ... it MUST HAVE BEEN a BIG game as there was a fan tossed at the 4:30 mark of the 1st quarter ... BOTH coaches had the ear of the officials - Coach Combs was calmed down by staff & players after a (we'll be kind) ... after a "questionable" call by this group of officials at the end of the 2nd quarter while Coach Rider for Logan seemingly had a "on-going" conversation with one of the officials the entire 2nd quarter - not sure the official was able to keep an eye on the game due to the "conversations" with the Logan head coach ... it was a post season atmosphere - at least for the Maroon & White fans who will be back to Logan's gym in 2 weeks for D2 Sectional action as the Vikings will be more than likely the 1 seed vs the 8/9 play in game winner for the chance to go to the Convo for district play ... Logan has played vs a schedule full of Central District D1 schools ... the Chiefs looking to see the fruits of playing the "stiffer" competition by knocking off Vinton County ...

... I have to bring up the first meeting vs VC in McArthur ... Tristan Bartoe joined the 1000 pt club during the 1st half vs Logan on his way to 19 first half points/4 treys for the game to go with 24 points ... the VC TEAM was 6/11 from 3 point land in game #1 in the first 2 quarters & 11/20 from behind tha arc on the game ... Naylan Yates - one of the top contenders for the POY in the TVC & D2 SE District along with back court mate Bartoe - had 9 points in the first half/27 for the game with 4 triples ... VC won the 1st game 77-54 ... tonight at Jim's Gym the Chiefs took away the Vinton County penetration, the VC BIG 3 of Bartoe/Yates/Jones were held to 7 points in the first half ... 1 fg among the group ... outstanding D from the Purple & White ! Logan was led by sharp shooting Bo Myers who matched his 1st game total of 12 points in the first half of play ... Logan was able to hold VC to only 1/6 shooting for 3 pointers in the first 2 quarters ! ... let me restate : LHS held the VC Big 3 to 7pts/1 fg in the half ... shutdown the perimeter penetration from the Big 3/ forced poor perimeter shooting by the BIg 3 in the first 2 quarters YET ONLY LED AT INTERMISSION Logan 23 Vinton County 22 ...

... as a Cheap Seat guy it was a great game to watch as you could see what the teams were both trying to do/ what they wanted to do and what each opponent was doing to take those things away ... Logan took away the BIG 3 of Bartoe/Jones/Yates BUT THAT in itself as good as it sounds STILL LEAVES the 4th scoring option - Jake Speakman ! Speakman was scoreless in the first game with Logan - he didn't need to score - tonight with all of the attention on the Big 3 it was Jake Speakman who KEPT VC in the game in the first half - 9 points with 1 triple ... imo Vinton County's tournament run will "hinge on the play of Jake Speakman offensively" - the young man will be called on to UP HIS GAME offensively as teams WILL work to take away the BIg 3 as Logan did tonight ...

... Vinton County took the lead 32-31 at 3:56 left in the 3rd quarter ... Jones/Bartoe/Yates added 15 points/ 2 treys 3/4 FTs forced Logan into 5 turnovers in the 3rd to give VC a 37-35 lead heading into the final quarter ... Vinton County looked the better TEAM in the 4th as Logan seemed to disappear at both ends while getting frustrated defensively which resulted in VC going to the FT line for 16 fourth quarter FT attempts knocking down 12 ... the Vikings' last 10 points were from the FT line ... Logan had 12 points in the 4th but 4 were by Landis in the final 18 seconds as VC "let" the Logan big get to the rim without fouling & stopping the clock ... Logan 47 Vinton County 56 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Bo Myers 18, Caiden Landis 13, Kory Henthorne 8, Caleb Bell 5,Wes Brooks 2, Coby Bell 1
3 Pointers ... 3/14 ... Bo Myers 2, Caiden Landis 1
FTs ... 3/8
TOs ... 17
PntP ... 24
Transition Points ... 0

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Vinton County ...

Scoring ... Naylan Yates 18, Tristan Bartoe 14, Jake Speakman 11, Derick Jones 7, Bryce Damron 2, Eli Griffith 2, Caleb Montgomery 2
3 Pointers ... 4/12 ... Naylan Yates 2, Derick Jones 1, Jake Speakman 1
FTs ... 20/27
TOs ... 8
PntP ... 22
Transition Points ... 4

... a good game for Vinton County to have to play before the post season begins - being on the Logan D2 Sectional Court, vs a good Logan ball club that has some size down low and quick guards on the perimeter ... a night when the Big 3 were defended well and had to work hard to get anything and everything AND they came out with the W at the end of a 3 game week ... next week VC gets a little deeper off the bench as Antonio Mendes will be cleared to play after suffering a knee injury that has had him sidelined - more quicks, a little more 6-2ish size ... and the fact that AM is a senior - it's always good to see a kid like that get back out on the court - he will definitely help the VC cause going into the post season ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Vinton County 56 Logan 47 a final

Post by danicalifornia »

Jake Speakman had a great game against Unioto in the Foundation Game and you could really tell that he could be the 4th option if they ever really needed it.

Sounds like an outstanding game! I'm anxious to see where Logan is seeded tomorrow after competing very well against most of their D1 heavy schedule, even without many wins to really show for it.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Thank you for the game summary and breakdown of the action Pfloyd. It is always a true pleasure to read your post game reports and a person can get a true sense of how the game played out.

In your opinion, does VC have the fire power to make a deep run? You have the opportunity to see many different schools play throughout the year and always provide a honest and unbiased assessment.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoggy wrote:Thank you for the game summary and breakdown of the action Pfloyd. It is always a true pleasure to read your post game reports and a person can get a true sense of how the game played out.

In your opinion, does VC have the fire power to make a deep run? You have the opportunity to see many different schools play throughout the year and always provide a honest and unbiased assessment.
... Hoggy thanks for asking ... my opinion is worth as much as anyone else's opine - nothing LOL ... obviously I think extremely highly of the Vikings or they wouldn't be at the #2 spot ... the high school game is a "guards" game these days - Vinton County is blessed with 4 outstanding guards who can all handle the ball & get to the rim AND finish ... good teams have 2 solid scoring threats - VC has 3 legitimate BIG scorers - not just scorers who can get to double digits but 3 scorers who can do the 20+ dance every night (Jones/Bartoe/Yates) ... ADD to the mix Jake Speakman ... he is the 4th scorer - he doesn't have to score and doesn't force the issue due to the BIG 3 ... BUT imo it's Speakman Time now so to speak (pun intended) ... JS has to make himself the 4th scorer that he is WHEN he see's that the opposition is taking away the Bartoe/Yates/Jones combo ... the 4 scorers for VC are a matchup NIGHTMARE for opponents ! how to guard ALL FOUR of these guys ? teams will have the one or two quick guards BUT 4 ??? ... then you bring in Antonio Mendes, Caleb Montgomery,Nevan Yates ??? VC doesn't get any "less quick" ! ... what am I leaving out ? ... the VC achilles heel - a BIG inside that can stay on the floor and handle an opposing teams Big MEN in the middle ... imo the VC coaching staff has done a great job of "masking" this weakness vs SE Ohio teams - Bryce Damron has been good in the paint ! - every time I see VC play Bryce has always played within himself - he doesn't try to do more than he CAN do ... Eli Griffith has done a nice job rotating in the middle with Damron but he is a work in progress ...

... I know ALL of the post so far isn't new ... it dances around the question of "How deep can Vinton County go in the post season?" ... I hate to post these things because sometimes kids read these things and start thinking how good they are BUT the VC staff "ain't" letting THAT "stuff" happen ... Vinton County , on the BIG floors of tournament time would be a nightmare to guard and play vs ANYONE ... vs teams with BIGS down low those teams better bring their track shoes, and the teams better be deep into their benches ... I can see a team with high school size bigs, that are big AND ATHLETIC who will be a handful but these teams better be fundamentally sound or VC will beat them as well ... Tuesday nights game , on the road at Miami Trace will tell us a lot about how far Vinton County will go in the tourney ... Miami Trace is imo the most athletic TEAM in the SouthEast District ... Trace goes 9-10 deep ... MT has the quick equal of Tristan Bartoe at the PG in Blake Pittser ... athletic size in Darby Tyrea ... MT might just be the strongest rebounding team I have seen this season as well with the Pettifords (Deandre and Tyrae) ... an excellent team ... an all around strong, quick, deep, talented team ... I'm not a fan of the MT coaching philosophy - as Coach Pittser subs in and out seemly every minute of game clock for 32 minutes ... having the coaching staff that Vinton County does IS an advantage in this one imo ...

... I still didn't pigeon hole myself did I ? LOL ... I hope they handle Miami Trace Tuesday night as THAT will be a deciding factor as to how deep VC will go in the post season ... I can see VC getting to the regional with their talent ... beyond that is up in the air as every team who gets to the regional has as good of a chance to make it to the Big Show as any other team ... it comes downs to right place right time/good matchups - look at Warren winning the regional final in 2012-13 I believe on a missed 3 ball but in the right place at the right time & with the right stuff in his own makeup Evan Yabs with the uncontested putback - Warren to the D2 Final Four ...

... I may have just talked myself into going to Miami Trace Tuesday night to watch this one !!! LOL

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Great run down Floyd. Wanted to see VC one more time before tourney time . I agree Speakman kept VC in it the first half . Logan defense on the big 3 was really good . Impressed with Logan young team . They will be fun to watch next couple years .This could be VC year if they stay the coarse .Role players for them will be critical . One thing I did notice was that VC Coach worked the older official to perfection . Kudos that's an art . Not a slam by no means he did a good job . Good luck to both teams going forward. Both teams have great kids and great fan base! Good High School Basketball !

Return to “Boys Basketball”