Most charges taken by a player?

Coach_Kelley
Waterboy

Most charges taken by a player?

Post by Coach_Kelley »

Piketon' sophmore post player, Blake Reader, has shattered the Redstreaks season record. He personally has taken 24 charges on the season. He took 5 in one game earlier this year! The old record at Piketon was 17 in a season.

Anyone else track this at your school? Anyone else close?

We don't have shot blockers...this counts as a turnover, a foul, and it creates momentum.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Most charges taken by a player?

Post by pfloyd »

Great stuff right there Coach_Kelley EVERY "TEAM" NEEDS a Blake Reader who is obviously a great defender who has the athletic ability to get himself in position defensively to get the charge AND the toughness to "take" the charge ... my hat goes off to the young man ... I LIKE those kind of players who give it up for TEAM every night they go on the floor ... they may not be in double figures scoring BUT it may be due to HIM that the opposing teams BIG down low has to come out of the game due to foul trouble - evens the playing field so to speak ... thanks for allowing us to give Blake Reader some well earned props on SEOPs ...

sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsmom20 »

Not sure if we have an actual record. Love a gritty player who will take a charge.Logan Maxfield of Athens who is a sophomore is trying to set a "record" as well, he is good for at least one or two a game. You are right it does change the momentum of a game, and makes some kids hesiatate to drive in if a couple are called.

GO Dogs! #20 biggest fan and pretty fond of the Coach too :lol:
Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

The key here is getting the call. Seen games where bodies all over floor on impact and no call .Then a flopped gets charge call. I had officials say the toughest call in the game. Obviously those kids who can draw the charges can help change momentum and very seldom receive the pub for it. Congratulations to them.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Logan "MasterCard" Maxfield from Athens. The CHARGE he took against Tristan Bartoe in the Paint last year at VC when Athens upset them Was a Huge momentum changer in that game. Then he hit a 6' jumper on the Baseline to help get that game to OT. Or maybe it was in OT to win it. Nonetheless it was an Exciting Game and a Big game from the Freshman

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

Corey Chapman was a beast at taking charges. He had 35 in one season called. That does not count all the one the refs would not call after he had taken two or three in the game.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

VisionQuest wrote:Logan "MasterCard" Maxfield from Athens. The CHARGE he took against Tristan Bartoe in the Paint last year at VC when Athens upset them Was a Huge momentum changer in that game. Then he hit a 6' jumper on the Baseline to help get that game to OT. Or maybe it was in OT to win it. Nonetheless it was an Exciting Game and a Big game from the Freshman
Never should have been a charge and I have pictures to prove it. Official Randy Hornsby, who was moving to North Carolina after that game, as he proudly told everyone, that this was his last game in Ohio, made the most ridiculous call because of what I can only believe his arrogance and/or hatred for Coach Combs. Then he follow up that BS charge call with a technical that had absolutely no justification, other than his ego. Between that game and some other shenanigans that he should have really gotten in trouble for, he has burned every bridge in Ohio. What is North Carolina loss, is Ohio's gain. I might get in trouble for this post, but I don't care, he was a terrible official and good riddance.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

hawkeyepierce wrote:
VisionQuest wrote:Logan "MasterCard" Maxfield from Athens. The CHARGE he took against Tristan Bartoe in the Paint last year at VC when Athens upset them Was a Huge momentum changer in that game. Then he hit a 6' jumper on the Baseline to help get that game to OT. Or maybe it was in OT to win it. Nonetheless it was an Exciting Game and a Big game from the Freshman
Never should have been a charge and I have pictures to prove it. Official Randy Hornsby, who was moving to North Carolina after that game, as he proudly told everyone, that this was his last game in Ohio, made the most ridiculous call because of what I can only believe his arrogance and/or hatred for Coach Combs. Then he follow up that BS charge call with a technical that had absolutely no justification, other than his ego. Between that game and some other shenanigans that he should have really gotten in trouble for, he has burned every bridge in Ohio. What is North Carolina loss, is Ohio's gain. I might get in trouble for this post, but I don't care, he was a terrible official and good riddance.
I see. Was he the one that got the water bottle thrown at him by one of the VC coaches/assistants soon as the game was over??. Are there pics of that??

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Best charge I have ever seen was Brent Lewis of Jackson taking one on the big boy from VC last year.

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

spartans_fan wrote:Corey Chapman was a beast at taking charges. He had 35 in one season called. That does not count all the one the refs would not call after he had taken two or three in the game.
This young man was the best I have ever seen.......by far

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

VisionQuest wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:
I see. Was he the one that got the water bottle thrown at him by one of the VC coaches/assistants soon as the game was over??. Are there pics of that??
I did not see a water bottle thrown at him. So I don't know if there are pictures of that, I could check the end of our film. Furthermore, no coach threw a water bottle at him, for you to suggest so is libelous at best. Mr. Hornsby was "pursued" by an assistant who yelled at him because of the injustice he facilitated. However, that coach did not go beyond the lane in his pursuit of Mr. Hornsby and that is on film. So no, there are no pictures of that, because it never happen.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Ironman92 wrote:Best charge I have ever seen was Brent Lewis of Jackson taking one on the big boy from VC last year.
That was awesome! Kudos, to the young man for having the cojones to step up and take it. If I was more tech savvy, I would convert it to a GIF and post it here. Maybe someone can help me. I will work on it.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Did some asking around because of my observation in a couple of games that the Bell Twins from Logan gets alot . Saw Bartoe from VC mow over Coby Bell in the first half that had to hurt. Tough kids that will take a charge for sure . My hat is off to all mentioned in this thread. Good topic !

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Chapman Alexander
Mansfield Athens
Henththorn Warren

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Coach_Kelley wrote:Piketon' sophmore post player, Blake Reader, has shattered the Redstreaks season record. He personally has taken 24 charges on the season. He took 5 in one game earlier this year! The old record at Piketon was 17 in a season.

We don't have shot blockers...this counts as a turnover, a foul, and it creates momentum.

That's awesome Coach, Blake deserves 24 Steak Dinners from Coach Legg! That's more than my team has taken the entire season unfortunately!

Coach SLegg
Waterboy

Post by Coach SLegg »

Jeff Lisath wrote:
Coach_Kelley wrote:Piketon' sophmore post player, Blake Reader, has shattered the Redstreaks season record. He personally has taken 24 charges on the season. He took 5 in one game earlier this year! The old record at Piketon was 17 in a season.

That's awesome Coach, Blake deserves 24 Steak Dinners from Coach Legg! That's more than my team has taken the entire season unfortunately!
Surpassed the old record of 17 set by some of your old RedStreak players:
CHARGES TAKEN – Season (Top 3)
24 Blake Reader 2016-17...so far
17 Zach Farmer 2012-13
Cabel Breitenbach 2005-06
13 Ely Porter 2004-05

Here Comes the Streaks!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I was sent the video on FB but don't know how to get it linked on to here.

Help?

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

Cory Chapman had over 100 in his career. One game I believe he took 4 against the same player.

Return to “Boys Basketball”