AAU Question, can Varsity head coaches coach AAU?

knowledge
All Conference

AAU Question, can Varsity head coaches coach AAU?

Post by knowledge »

Trying to clarify this, will probably call the state here later.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: AAU Question, can Varsity head coaches coach AAU?

Post by 4thgoal »

Here are a few of the Q&As from the OHSAA website. Basically, only in June/July and a max of 2 players from the previous school season.

If my son or daughter plays on an AAU or Non-Interscholastic team, can I coach them if I am a school coach?
Answer: Only during the June 1 – July 31 period of time. Coaching one’s own players is prohibited outside the season other than those dates and
no exception is provided for families.
But if the General Sports Regulation 8.6 now permits instruction to 4 or less individuals, wouldn’t this permit me to coach my son or
daughter playing on an AAU or Non-Interscholastic team if I am a school coach?
Answer: No, the language of “8.6” permits individual skill instruction when 4 or less are present in all combined facilities. So, even though there may
only be 2 individuals from the same school on an “AAU” team, there are still more than 4 present which would prohibit this outside the season and
outside of June/July.
Can a Junior High coach from my district coach HIGH SCHOOL players in non-interscholastic basketball (such as “AAU”) outside the
season of play?
Answer: Yes…IF the supplemental contract the Junior High coach signs does not require him/her to coach additionally during practice at the high
school level (and most do not stipulate that). Simply look at the contract you sign….and if does not stipulate that, then you ARE permitted to do so.
Can a High School coach from a district coach JUNIOR HIGH players in non-interscholastic basketball (such as “AAU”) outside the
season of play?
Answer: Yes…IF the supplemental contract the High coach signs does not require him/her to coach additionally during practice at the junior high
school level (and most do not stipulate that). Simply look at the contract you sign….and if does not stipulate that, then you ARE permitted to do so.
We have

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Yes, I read those but none of it clarified my question. I will probably just have to ask my AD or call OHSAA.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I think the answer is yes, but only if none of them are your current players.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Dave Dennis at Harvest Prep?

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

formerfcfan wrote:Dave Dennis at Harvest Prep?
? I don't follow

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Dave Dennis is the coach at Harvest Prep, his AAU team won the national title, 4 of those players aren't from pickerington but play at Harvest Prep. Guess they didn't learn their lesson when they got the death penalty
http://www.wggba.com/wggbablog/2013/7/5 ... title.html

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Dave Dennis is the coach at Harvest Prep, his AAU team won the national title, 4 of those players aren't from pickerington but play at Harvest Prep. Guess they didn't learn their lesson when they got the death penalty
http://www.wggba.com/wggbablog/2013/7/5 ... title.html

Is it because HP is a private school and they are not restricted by the boundaries that public schools are as far as OHSAA eligibility?

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

This is one area that I would no take advice on a social media site. Contact OHSAA on Monday and get ruling in an email to keep.

Franky_the_Fish
Waterboy

Post by Franky_the_Fish »

That AAU team you mentioned had 2 kids from Zanesville that tried to go to Prep(coincidence...) but they got some heat for it I guess and Aronhalt took them back I hear. Hardly a level playing field but...until they rules change....need to step up and beat them!

Fundamentals
Varsity

Post by Fundamentals »

Contact Jerry Snodgrass from OHSAA. He gets back to you promptly.

tagyourit
Riding the Bench

Post by tagyourit »

I don't see how with individual workout stuff any varsity coach would have time or want to coach any other kids but their own. Call me crazy

Return to “Boys Basketball”