SOC I and II POTY Candidates

IWatchFromTheStands
Waterboy

SOC I and II POTY Candidates

Post by IWatchFromTheStands »

Who do you all have for POTY candidates for both conferences as the season is ending?

Bucknut27
Varsity

Re: SOC I and II POTY Candidates

Post by Bucknut27 »

Landon Carroll from Oak Hill in SOC 2.

Basketball11
Waterboy

Post by Basketball11 »

Cameron King from Clay in SOC 1

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I'll just list the names of who it will probably come down to, and then my predictions as to who will get it.

SOC 1 Candidates:
Cameron King
Cole Gilliland
Akia Brown
Trevon Turner
Ethan Leist
Tanner Perdue

SOC 2 Candidates:
Landon Carroll
Tanner Holden
Kaden Coleman
Shane Zimmerman
Cade Marquez

My predictions:

SOC 1: Cameron King
SOC 2: Landon Carroll

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Spectator555
Waterboy

Post by Spectator555 »

SOC 1: Cameron King
SOC 2: Landon Carroll

IWatchFromTheStands
Waterboy

I agree with all of you guys so far. I think it's pretty clean cut going to be King and Carroll.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

SOC 1 Cole Gilliland
SOC 2 Landon Carroll or Coleman
Last edited by minford17 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Falconfan14
Riding the Bench

Post by Falconfan14 »

Being that the POY normally comes from the team that wins the championship you have to at this point look at Oak Hill and Clay unless something unforseen happens in the last wk. Definitely should be L. Carroll from Oak Hill. I would give the nod to Gilliland over King because of the difference he makes with blocked shots and rebounding. Everyone thinks Of King as a great scorer but Gilliland reached 1000 points prior to King. Gilliland is also very unselfish. Nate Hinze is very close to 1000 points and it appears Gilliland is the only teammate going out of his way to ger Hinze the ball.

IWatchFromTheStands
Waterboy

FalconFan14: I see your points with Gilliland over King, but I definitely disagree. Your point with Gilliland scoring 1000 before King isn't fair because Gilliland had 4 years and King has had 3 years. So really if we are using your own argument then King would deserve it more. Your other point with Gilliland being unselfish I think the whole clay team is unselfish and thats how they are so successful. Look at it like this, if you take King out of the game then theres no one to run the offense to the level that King does. They both play great defense, but I would say King has the edge over Gilliland overall.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Falcon14, you are correct in Gilliland reaching 1000 before King but you failed to mention that Gilliland and Hinze has played varsity ball for 4 years and King is in his 3rd year of varsity basketball. Gilliland and King do play different roles on the team that are vital to the success of the team but the team goes as King goes. I have seen them play a couple times this year and have noticed that things run smoother when King is in the game. As for saying that Gilliland is the only one trying to get Hinze the ball is absurd. The first thing they are trying to do is win the conference championship, individual statistics won't stand in their way of winning it. Hinze being out half the season has put him behind schedule to reach 1000 but he still has a good shot at it. With as well as Clay is playing right now, they are looking to win SOC and make a run in the tournament so Hinze's 1000 will come in the flow of the teams goal not individual goals. SOC I POY Cameron King and SOC II Landon Carroll. Have seen many different teams this season and those would be my picks.

Basketball11
Waterboy

Post by Basketball11 »

I agree with Madness. I've seen these kids play and the reason they're successful is because of team work. King makes the team go and when they are playing tough teams King takes over the game. Both are great players and contribute to the team. If your going to bring up the 1,000 points then you forgot to mention Falcon14 that King did it in 3 years. They've had a great year and I hope it contuies into tournament time.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Landon Carroll for sure in SOC II (Kaden Coleman of Burg would be runner-up).

As for SOC I, I also goin with Cameron King of Clay. While Gilliland is also a great player, King is the guy that makes the whole thing work for Clay. Clay couldn't get anything going against Notre Dame last week so King single-handedly took over that game (scoring 24 of Clay's 52 pts). Put it this way: take King off Clay and they are probably the 5th best team in SOC I. Take any other player besides King off Clay and they still in the top 2 or 3 of the league.*

Spectator555
Waterboy

Post by Spectator555 »

For the SOC 1, it's a great accomplishment to have two extremely talented players who would be SOC player of the year, and would most likely runner up if they were on opposite teams. King and Gilliland are very talented kids, and they all have their own role, much respect to both of these young players. Each contribute to the team in multiple ways, I would have to go with King if I was voting, due to the sheer fact that he's the engine for the team and keeps everything in line. This team shouldn't be worrying about any of this, as they and every other team is preparing for the tourney run

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Congratulations. Cameron King POY in SOC 1 and Brody Riffe defensive player of year. Coach Betten Clay coach of year and the Clay Panthers league champs.

Return to “Boys Basketball”