Coach Collins @Portsmouth high School

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Coach Collins @Portsmouth high School

Post by biggdowgg »

Just wanted to give him and his staff some props on the season they have had so far,this is a team that had only one returning starter that actualy started every game last year in kendal reynolds :Mike Malone: did start a lot but not every game with the loss of Ky"re Allison last year all we heard that this team wouldnt win 7 or 8 games after last nights big win over Wheelersburg they are now 14 and 4 with two wins coming in Florida and from what I hear we lost the one game at the free throw line byu only a couple points.

while this team this year don't have a player the caliber of Ky're they still have some talent and they all work as a team,4 kids have led the Trojans in scoring in games this year with 20 plus points and they get some good minutes from the bench as well.

congrats to the coaching staff on a great job after figuring out who the 5 starters would be,and great job to the kids that beleive in his system and play hard ,this is one of the srappiest teams we have had in a while ,IMO they get after it esp. on defense,really fun to watch.
good luck rest of season

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Coach Collins @Portsmouth high School

Post by Ironman92 »

I have always thought Coach Collins was the perfect coach for Portsmouth kids. He is a very good coach. I enjoy sitting behind visitor's bench at Jackson games so to hear/watch opposing coach. Coach Collins is one of the best.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Congrats to Coach Collins, I've said it before he is one of best bench Coachs in all of southeast. Right now probably best team in Scioto county, kids respect him and always enjoy watching them in the Convo.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Coach Collins took over a Trojan basketball program in 2009-2010, and he turned the fortunes of the basketball program immediately. From 2003-2009, PHS suffered through a 52-100 record, with 7 straight losing seasons, the most ever in the decorated cage history of the school. Collins first year resulted in a 12-7 record, and a win over SEOAL champion Ironton that year. Just a year later, he guided the Trojans to their first Final 4 appearance since 1990, and the very next season led PHS to a D3 state runnerup title. Coach Collins has since seen his teams advance to the district final and a regional final.

This season, after losing Portsmouth's all time leading scorer, Kyre Allison to graduation, Collins has coached the Trojans up to an outstanding 14-4 record. Going into this season, there were many question marks surrounding the Trojans. The only proven scorer returning was Kendal Reynolds. Once again having to face the challenge of not having much size or a true post presence, Coach Collins has meshed a group of team players together and has utilized their skills to the maximum. He has acheived one of the most difficult aspects of coaching, that is, to get kids to play unselfishly. This team could not go 14-4 any other way. I am very proud of our kids who have worked very hard to accomplish what they have so far.

To date, Coach Collins is 136-52, and has been SEOAL Coach of the Year, OVC Coach of the Year, SE District Coach of the Year, and is currently the 3rd winningest coach in PHS history. I personally feel he is one of the most underpublicized coaches in the SE DIstrict and the state. His job is not easy......yet he has embraced the high expectations of Portsmouth basketball, and has made it a point every year that Columbus is the ultimate goal for his Trojans.

We are truly blessed as Trojan fans to have Coach Collins as our head coach. I also believe that we have a very good coaching staff of assistants. To all of them I want to just take this time to show public appreciation for the time and effort that they put in, and am very happy for them that they are seeing the fruits of their labor in the 2016-2017 season......a season that many thought was not possible.

GO TROJANS!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Coach Collins is an excellent coach ! IS & HAS BEEN ... Coach Collins has built a program that can be successful year in and year out for the Trojan Nation ... not only is Coach Collins good for PHS hoops he is good for ALL of high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... Coach ALWAYS has a word or 100 for pfloyd when I'm in the gym ... I truly miss the Logan vs Portsmouth matchups on the hardwood ! the basketball , the fans from the Portsmouth area are all missed in the Hocking Hills area ...

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Awesome job, Coach Collins!!!!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

pfloyd wrote:Coach Collins is an excellent coach ! IS & HAS BEEN ... Coach Collins has built a program that can be successful year in and year out for the Trojan Nation ... not only is Coach Collins good for PHS hoops he is good for ALL of high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... Coach ALWAYS has a word or 100 for pfloyd when I'm in the gym ... I truly miss the Logan vs Portsmouth matchups on the hardwood ! the basketball , the fans from the Portsmouth area are all missed in the Hocking Hills area ...

Logan and warren is the two games I miss the most ....also middle playing chillcothe very much ....some classic games that we still talk about often

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

I can't thank Coach Collins enough for returning the program to its glory days. Certainly makes a lot of former Trojans proud. Keep it up!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

This team has now won 17 games and won their 63rd sectional title and headed to the convo to play for the district ,kids have battled and fought all year for these coaches.

I really believe coach Collins deserves COY,for this season

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Coach Collins overall record at PHS is an outstanding 139-55 in this his 8th year at PHS. His Trojans have won 5 sectional titles, 3 district titles, a district runnerup, 2 Final 4's, an Elite 8 runnerup, and finished state runnerup in 2012.

Coach Rhea
Waterboy

Post by Coach Rhea »

Congratulations to Coach Collins, staff, and team. Continue to play hard for one of the greatest basketball traditions in the state of Ohio, the Portsmouth Trojan Basketball. As Coach Lisath said "Coach Collins has returned Portsmouth basketball to it's glory days." I will always be greatful to Coach Collins for giving me the opportunity to be part of the basketball tradition. Coach Collins will have the Trojans ready to go next week in "our home away from home, the Convo." Again congrats Coach proud of you as always.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Coach Collins has a bevy of individual honors. He has been the SEOAL Coach of the Year, the OVC Coach of the Year, the SE district Coach of the Year, and the D3 Ohio Coach of the Year. In addition, 4 of his players have scored 1,000 points in their careers at PHS. Dion McKinley (1,096), Wayne Evans (1,096), Kyre Allison (1,688), and Kendal Reynolds (1,421) have added their names to the many Trojan greats that came before them. Allison was named the D3 Co-Player of the Year in 2016, and received a D1 scholarship to Marshall University.

Return to “Boys Basketball”