JV status

Championship07
Riding the Bench

Re: JV status

Post by Championship07 »

South Point stands at 13-7, 10-3 in OVC play. Play season finale at home vs Rock Hill tonight. Team consists mainly of about 8 freshman, 6 of which are in normal rotation. Only 2 varsity players dress for them typically.

Reading some of the above posts they've faired decently well against some of these opponents. Beating previously undefeated in OVC play Gallia by about 15 last week. Played tough with Waverly early in the year until about 2 mins left in the 3rd when Waverly's length took over and they began hitting shots. Also played Jackson pretty tight in scrimmage during preseason. Their losses are to Burg by 6, Ashland KY by 10, Russell KY by 10, Gallia by 11, Waverly by 13, Fairland by 7(Dragons hit something like 13 3s in the game), Portsmouth by 4.

Graduating 5 seniors from the program some of these JV guys should see some varsity time next season. Most of the freshman will be back on JV next year combined with a solid 8th grade group that battled injuries all season(only played 5 quarters all season where top 3/4 players were on court together).

South Point's program seems to be on the rise at this point.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly JV finishes 20-0 and the varsity with a big win over Minford tonight to finish the regular season 16-6.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Keep em coming. Trojandave how does PHS look

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto finishes 15-7, winning 8 of 9 to finish the season and sharing the SVC with Southeastern. The Shermans trailed SE 31-6 in their 2nd meeting before coming back and winning 56-50 in an insane game. All Sophomores by the end of the season (promising Frosh Cade McKee had to sit the last 14 games after an illness, should be good to go by summer ball) and led by Chance Smith in scoring. Hayden Longcoy, Justin Manson, and Vinz Palisbo all knocked down key shots throughout the year, while Cade McBee, Bryce Robinson, and Tristan Steinbrook played important defensive roles. A very fun team to watch and will be interesting how they adjust to new roles at the next level.

Unioto's Freshman team finished 12-6 and won the SVC (along with Zane Trace) with a 9-1 record. Led by guards Nate Keiser and Jamarcus Carroll (keep an eye on these two names) they made great strides from the start of the year til the end. They were beaten soundly by Waverly and Jackson, but were very competitive in their other losses. This was Carroll's 2nd year of organized basketball, so his potential is very high and Keiser can fill it up in a variety of ways. Big Dalton Ford (and his now-famous underhand FT shooting) and Connor Valentine were staples inside, while Richter, Crawford, Helton, Schobelock, Williams, Drake, Gerber, and Smith all gave important minutes for the young Shermans. Most were seeing big minutes for the first time ever as others moved up or moved and they adjusted very well. Fun team.

Shoutout to Zane Trace as well, last night against Unioto, they had 4 freshmen on the court in the 2nd quarter of the varsity game. With those freshmen up, they still managed to split for the Freshman league and finished 3rd in the JV league. That shows that they have some very good depth in their 9th grade class. Trytan Davidson, Cameron Evans, and Nick Nesser are some kids to look for in the coming years. The jump to D2 next year will be tough for the Pioneers, but they have the talent to make a dent in it in probably 2 years.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Chillicothe JV went 15-6 and 11-3 in the SCOL for first place in the league. They were led by 2 freshmen and 4 sophomores and most nights played 11 different kids.

They beat Unioto by 8-10 in the last week and beat Wilmington on the road in OT to finish the season.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

LucasDavenport wrote:Chillicothe JV went 15-6 and 11-3 in the SCOL for first place in the league. They were led by 2 freshmen and 4 sophomores and most nights played 11 different kids.

They beat Unioto by 8-10 in the last week and beat Wilmington on the road in OT to finish the season.
Beard and J. Maughmer were both really fun to watch! #14 for the Freshman team looks to have a promising future as well.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

ttt

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Valley finished the season 13-8 (8-6 vs SOC II Teams) after starting the season 1-4. So the team finished winning 12 of 16. The first time through the SOC schedule, the Indians went 2-5. The 2nd pass through they went 6-1. The main JV rotation consisted of 9 players including 5 sophomores and 4 freshmen.

For the first time in quite a while, Valley was also able to play Freshmen games. They played 7 compiling a 6-1 mark with the only loss being in their opener to a very solid and deep Jackson squad.

Factor in the varsity starting 2 sophomores and a freshman and the future is looking up for Valley.

Anyone have final SOC II records for any of the other teams?

All I have seen is:

Waverly 14-0
Valley 8-6

Can anyone else give others?

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Crab's Brother wrote:Valley finished the season 13-8 (8-6 vs SOC II Teams) after starting the season 1-4. So the team finished winning 12 of 16. The first time through the SOC schedule, the Indians went 2-5. The 2nd pass through they went 6-1. The main JV rotation consisted of 9 players including 5 sophomores and 4 freshmen.

For the first time in quite a while, Valley was also able to play Freshmen games. They played 7 compiling a 6-1 mark with the only loss being in their opener to a very solid and deep Jackson squad.

Factor in the varsity starting 2 sophomores and a freshman and the future is looking up for Valley.

Anyone have final SOC II records for any of the other teams?

All I have seen is:

Waverly 14-0
Valley 8-6

Can anyone else give others?
All credit to the players. Definitely couldn't be the coach. LOL!
Last edited by minford17 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Thanks for the valley info

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

tt

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

TTT

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth's JV team had it share of struggles this season......don't know their overall record, but it might have been .500 or below.......and at times, there were 3 juniors on the court. The freshmen struggled even more so........I believe they won only 4 or 5 games.

I really think the Trojan varsity will be down for two years, and by down I mean under .500. Losing 2 of the top 3 all time scorers the last 2 seasons will really make Portsmouth offensively challenged in 2017-2018, and most likely in 2018-2019.

Although the 7th and 8th grade didn't have glittering records......8th (8-9), 7th (5-11), there is no shortage of athleticism on these teams.....skill wise, there needs to be improvement, but by the time they get to varsity, Portsmouth basketball should be ready to make a comeback. Don't be surprised if the Trojans start 2 or 3 sophomores in 2018-2019, and maybe all underclassmen.

I hope I'm wrong on my forecast for the next 2 years, because I'm an optimist, but I just see the Trojans really scuffling to score and in the end, struggling to win games.

GO TROJANS!!!

tarbuck85
Waterboy

Post by tarbuck85 »

Fairfield's JV team finished 20-2 and the Freshman finished 13-5. Along with some key players from this seasons Sectional Champions coming back they should be solid for awhile.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Thanks to all for the input. Keep em coming

MisterAxeGrinder
Waterboy

Post by MisterAxeGrinder »

Athens JV very strong this year with a couple of key freshman that I look to see having a HUGE impact at the varsity level next year a sophmores

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

Any info on green bobcats JV

SOC 1
wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

trojandave wrote:Portsmouth's JV team had it share of struggles this season......don't know their overall record, but it might have been .500 or below.......and at times, there were 3 juniors on the court. The freshmen struggled even more so........I believe they won only 4 or 5 games.

I really think the Trojan varsity will be down for two years, and by down I mean under .500. Losing 2 of the top 3 all time scorers the last 2 seasons will really make Portsmouth offensively challenged in 2017-2018, and most likely in 2018-2019.

Although the 7th and 8th grade didn't have glittering records......8th (8-9), 7th (5-11), there is no shortage of athleticism on these teams.....skill wise, there needs to be improvement, but by the time they get to varsity, Portsmouth basketball should be ready to make a comeback. Don't be surprised if the Trojans start 2 or 3 sophomores in 2018-2019, and maybe all underclassmen.

I hope I'm wrong on my forecast for the next 2 years, because I'm an optimist, but I just see the Trojans really scuffling to score and in the end, struggling to win games.

GO TROJANS!!!
Sad to read this, maybe we will get a "transfer" to come to PHS! Sure some of the youngsters mature, basketball wise and prevent this period from happening.

Return to “Boys Basketball”