Reffing

General Chat
GroveCityBnR
Waterboy

Re: Reffing

Post by GroveCityBnR »

:oops:
LogangradKD wrote:
mhs95_06 wrote:I witnessed the Marietta vs New Lex game tonight and as a result I have 3 questions regarding rules:

Can slapping the backboard defensively while a shot attempt is pending properly be called goal tending? in tonight's case the slap seemed to jostle the ball off the rim at a time it was probably going to fall through for a deuce. If so, is it something that should be called only if it appears to knock the ball away from the opportunity to go in.

When there is a loose ball can a player sliding/crawling toward the ball be calling for a time out before he reaches the ball, be given the TO immediately when he then grabs the ball? Is there no penalty for calling for a time out when your team does not have the ball? Is the only penalty for calling for a TO when you do when yo have none left?

At least 2 times near the end of the game the trailing team swished a trey and the net flipped up on the rim causing the ref to stop play to get the net straight and allow the trailing team to set up their press. Back in my day loose nets were always getting flipped up stopping play, but today with most nets in use that happening is a rarity. The nets at Logan seem to be very loose and prone to flipping up. Are there no guidelines on nets to prevent that kind of thing to give a team an advantage?

I was at the game last night as well and although I DID NOT officiate the game I was working the table and I am also a Class 1 official. The time out in question was completely legal. The TO was not given until the Marietta player put hands on the ball and as soon as he did the granted the time out. Yes he was sliding but like it was already mentioned it was a legal play. A player can slide as far as his momentum takes him without traveling unless he rolls over or stands up or goes out of bounds. And slapping the backboard is legal unless it causes the ball to leave the cylinder and last night that wasn't even close to happening. As for the net issues, ANY TIME there is a caught net, the officials will stop the game. I don't think It has anything to do with allowing another team to gain an advantage or set up a press. They stopped the game to fix the nets, nothing more.

I'd like to point out that slapping the backboard is legal as long as, in the official's judgement, the player was legitimately trying to block the shot.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

A late 5 sec call on Warren when they had the advantage late in the game last night vs Logan Elm was surprising to me. What are the current rules on that? Don't you have 5 seconds on the dribble, then 5 more once you pick it up? At some level of play, haven't they changed the rule that there can be more than 5 sec on the dribble?

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

According to wheelersburg pirate fans, they would never lose a game if it wasn't for the refs.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I really wish some of you complaining would go take the class and give it a shot. It is not an easy thing to do. These people have day jobs and come to gyms and subject themselves to this abuse. Have some respect. They are human beings and mistakes are made. Over the years, I have made friends with many of the guys you see working these games. And I can tell you, they don't give two piles of crap as to who wins these games. They are there because they love it and to supplement their incomes. I complain during the games just like anyone else trying to get a call for my kids, but I know that when we leave the floor those folks did the best they could.

Between the games we played (just over 50) and scouted and watched (20 or so others), I would say that maybe 2 would I consider "poorly officiated". It isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

mhs95_06 wrote:A late 5 sec call on Warren when they had the advantage late in the game last night vs Logan Elm was surprising to me. What are the current rules on that? Don't you have 5 seconds on the dribble, then 5 more once you pick it up? At some level of play, haven't they changed the rule that there can be more than 5 sec on the dribble?
I was close to the play and had a good angle . Ball handler was picked up by the defensive player near mid court and moved right . The rule follows the college rule . If the defensive player maintains 6ft or less for 5 second its a violation . I do not agree with the rule and some officials will not call it if an attempt is made by ball handler to move forward and defensive player is not preventing movement . One of those judgement calls . In this case the count was picked up and it was actually an easy call by the official. Still I think the rule should have more clarification . Some good point guards will jab in then back out to release the count . Watch a college game and very seldom is it called . The rule should be looked at because I seen a 5 second count start right after ball handler crosses mid court . Be interesting to hear from some seasoned officials and how they call it . Thought it was a well called game and that's what you want .

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Yes, I thought it was a well officiated game also, as was the first game. My wonderment is why he would call the 5 sec on the dribble after he picked up the dribble. Doesn't picking it up give you 5 more seconds to get rid of it?

A couple calls were a little unusual, both just after the ball was tipped away from Young. The first when he was driving to the basket and after the ball was gone they called a blocking foul. The other Young picked up a loose ball, then it was tipped away, then young ran over the Warren player and was called for the foul. I thought both were good calls. You often hear fans yell at the officials that you can't call a foul because it was a loose ball, but nothing could be further from the way it should be, a foul is a foul.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

I think you are correct in part . If you dribble for 4 seconds and then pick up the ball you then are not in violation if you get rid of the ball in 4 seconds . 5 second on each is the violation . It means to receive the ball and hold 4 seconds and start dribbling for 4 seconds and you could pickup the ball and pass before 5 second you would not be in violation . Anyone out there have a different theory please post? I think but I could be wrong believe the count was made on the dribble ( 5 second ) and ball was picked up on the whistle which made it appear questionable . Good post though!

Blockcharge6
Riding the Bench

Post by Blockcharge6 »

Just my 2 cents on a couple things, 1. If a player slaps the back board it is nothing or a technical foul. Goal tending or basket interference should not be called in this case. If the defensive player makes a legitimate attempt to block the shot , nothing shold be called, if it's just an intentional slap of the board it a T. 2. 3 second count is stopped as soon as a shot is taken or the player who is in the lane has the ball and starts his or her attempt to shoot or get in position to shoot.

Blockcharge6
Riding the Bench

Post by Blockcharge6 »

You are correct on the closely guarded count. A player could be closely guarded fo a total of 12 seconds. Hold the ball for four. Dribble for four then hold for four more.

Return to “The Off season”