The Mentally Challenged: Should They Be Allowed to Participate in High School Sports?

screamineagle
Waterboy

The Mentally Challenged: Should They Be Allowed to Participate in High School Sports?

Post by screamineagle »

This is a question I have heard a lot lately. I am personally for letting them participate because they get a lot out of it both mentally and physically. I honestly don't know why they would not want to allow them to be on a team. But there are some jerks out there who disagree. What are your thoughts on allowing the mentally handicapped to participate?

wvabuckeye
Waterboy

Re: The Mentally Challenged: Should They Be Allowed to Participate in High School Sports?

Post by wvabuckeye »

screamineagle wrote:This is a question I have heard a lot lately. I am personally for letting them participate because they get a lot out of it both mentally and physically. I honestly don't know why they would not want to allow them to be on a team. But there are some jerks out there who disagree. What are your thoughts on allowing the mentally handicapped to participate?
I had the opportunity recently to officiate a boys game, schools do not matter and I will NEVER mention schools or specific student athletes here BTW, but BOTH teams had players who otherwise would never be able to participate in high school athletics if not for being on these teams. The nice back story for both players, who finished the game playing against each other, is that they were long time ball boys for the programs. You cannot tell me that those experiences of scoring and the crowd going nuts for both, were not good for them and the sport.

I am 125% for physically and mentally challenged student athletes participating.

Go Bucks! Go Bengals!
Go Cavs! Go Reds! Go Indians!
PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Re: The Mentally Challenged: Should They Be Allowed to Participate in High School Sports?

Post by PVCGuru »

As long as everyone is on the same page when it comes to expectations then absolutely.

It''s as good for the other teammates as it is for them.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I am 100% for it.. had a experience a few years ago at a football game when my son played.. Our school won the game by like 40 points.. but all any of the boys could talk about was happy that kid was when he scored a touchdown and how happy the other team was.. I do not see anything negative in it.. teaches all a great lesson all year long.. not just for the few minutes one day for a few minutes in a game.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I have seen some very good basketball players who could have played on many high school teams playing on DD teams. Including some as starters. One of the best shooters I have ever seen played on one. He could really shot from anywhere. Shoot off the dribble to the left or right. He could stop and go straight up with a shot on a fast break. Could handle the ball and make great passes. With the way he could shoot he could have made a college team easy as a shooter. He would have fit in good with Marshall's offense.

For anyone who has watched a DD game it is very enjoyable. I once saw a team get beat by 30 points but pushed the ball up the floor and scored right at the buzzer. The players jumped around like they won the game. They were happy even after the game. Yes they did realize they lost but took the positives from that game. Seeing a player score their first basket. As their face lights up. As well as some teams that could give some high school teams a good game.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

It is a positive experience for everyone involved. It allows everyone to understand that it is just a game and it is for the kids. And besides, they allow them to coach so why not play also.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

I agree with SVAC and Madness. Good for the kids playing and a good lesson to take away from the game.

ROLL PEAKE
Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Summertime in Wheelersburg they have a Challenger League. I have been fortunate enough to watch these athletes play because they love the game. I recommend that anybody who can, stop by and volunteer your time to help or just sit back and enjoy the games. These athletes will teach you what it is like to love the game and play for fun. Some of the best baseball you will ever watch. If you don't leave after these games with a new perspective on playing any sport, then there is something wrong with you.

Return to “Boys Basketball”