1/31: Oak Hill @ Wheelersburg

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: 1/31: Oak Hill @ Wheelersburg

Post by wobycat »

It may happen in lower grades but by the time they get to high school, I've rarely seen a slew of kids come in to play sports. 99% are kids who've been at the school since kindergarten

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
Browns30 wrote:
trojandave wrote:Even though I'm an outsider looking in, I know enough of the sports landscape of SE Ohio to know that there are a whole bunch of schools that would love to be the athletic giant that Wheelersburg has become. As a Trojan fan, I am somewhat baffled by the opposition to Coach Ater. He took the Pirates to the district final last season, losing to Final 4 Lynchburg Clay, and has a good chance to get at least that far again. I think Coach Ater has turned the Pirate basketball program around after a few down years. But then again, I am an outsider with no inside knowledge as to what goes on at WHS.
The reason Wheelersburg is such an "athletic giant" is because the kids who live in that area that are any good at sports transfer to Wheelersburg. It's just a fact. How can any of the schools around them compete when they get all of the athletic transfers? Not complaining because I guarantee if I lived in scioto co. my kid would be going to burg also. Thats why burg complains everytime they lose, because they know they should be beating everyone.

Let me tell you a story about a kid that came to Burg his Senior to play football. Kid was at Franklin Furnace Green up until his Junior year. He was playing on some terrible teams. He comes to Burg his Senior year, Burg makes it to the state semi-finals and a coach from a college there to watch a kid from the other team sees him and gets him to come to his college. The recruiter told him he had never heard of him until that game so him coming to Burg got him a college scholarship.

Loll,so he sees a kid for only one game that he has never heard of ,and gives him a scholarship. Based on one game ? Sounds like that is a school that many kids could just walk on too.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I guess I need to reword that. Yes he did walk on after the recruiter talked him into coming there that then led to a scholarship

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

wobycat wrote:It's not a fact. Lol. Almost all are there since Kindergarten. One or two might come in junior high but highl doubt that's making them dominant. :roll:
Thats funny, because I only know a handful of people from scioto county and I know of 3 right of the top of my head that transferred in MS last year for sports. What is making them dominant in all sports then? Is it in the river water?

Gbo98
Waterboy

Post by Gbo98 »

So you're saying, 1 kid transferred into the High School, a few transferred into the middle school, and because of that it caused Burg to be dominant in sports? Logically, the kids who have been at Burg since elementary and middle school- are dominate at sports because of the work put into the youth athletic programs. But it you think that 1-5% of transfer talent is causing the domination- so be it.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Not what I said. I said i know of that many. I'm sure there are more. You can't even win an argument against Burg.

beeker
Waterboy

Post by beeker »

DANG GIVE IT A REST,, How old are you people you act like grade school kids ,, it is a high school basketball game , the top 3 or 4 teams in most leagues can win on any given night, grow up and move on !!!

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Ok hoops 37. You have it all figured out. I will stick to my 1 or 2 football games a year.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

This is comical that people are bashing Burg for "transfers" on an oak hill/burg thread when 90% of oak hills offense is from transfers .

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Poo Bear wrote:This is comical that people are bashing Burg for "transfers" on an oak hill/burg thread when 90% of oak hills offense is from transfers .

This post wins.

Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

Let me ask this, what grade are you not considered a transfer anymore. If you enroll at a school before your freshman year and spend all 4 years with that school then why is that student labeled a transfer.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Noodle319 wrote:Let me ask this, what grade are you not considered a transfer anymore. If you enroll at a school before your freshman year and spend all 4 years with that school then why is that student labeled a transfer.

.... because they transferred in

Most people seem to not pay much attention to "transferring" if it takes place in Elementary school... or, perhaps a true change of residence due to a parent getting a new job etc... I think transferring right before high school always seems to look a little.... sketchy?

But in this particular instance (Oak Hill), the two boys did transfer in before their freshman year, but do not reside in Oak Hill.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

But if you have goals as a student athlete and the school you attend has neglected the basketball program for a decade and showed no wanting to fix it. So they are supposed to go without because the adults in charge have not held up their end. All schools have transfers in different sports but if that team is loosing who cares. If a student can transfer to better their chances to get to their goals then who's the fool.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Noodle319 wrote:But if you have goals as a student athlete and the school you attend has neglected the basketball program for a decade and showed no wanting to fix it. So they are supposed to go without because the adults in charge have not held up their end. All schools have transfers in different sports but if that team is loosing who cares. If a student can transfer to better their chances to get to their goals then who's the fool.
Student athlete goals? So education? What type goals? NBA? D1? D2? D3, NAIA? Jackson has been horrible at basketball from what I can remember for a long time but didn't they have a Chatman kid play at Pikeville and win a national championship there? What about the Justise twins from Peebles. Didn't they both play D1 or something? I guess I don't understand what kind of goals.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

I believe in school choice,I also believe that parents have rights, that being said, academically, community support, youth sports programs,etc etc, whats not to like?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Everyone knows my transferring thoughts. To each their own. We live in America.

Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

Goals are what the athletes and parents want out of playing high school sports. It may be a scholarship or just being the best player they can be. If a program is not what it should be then you can't blame a player for leaving. It just sucks that if a kid transfers from a bad situation to a good one they are labeled.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ed Ott wrote:
Noodle319 wrote:But if you have goals as a student athlete and the school you attend has neglected the basketball program for a decade and showed no wanting to fix it. So they are supposed to go without because the adults in charge have not held up their end. All schools have transfers in different sports but if that team is loosing who cares. If a student can transfer to better their chances to get to their goals then who's the fool.
Student athlete goals? So education? What type goals? NBA? D1? D2? D3, NAIA? Jackson has been horrible at basketball from what I can remember for a long time but didn't they have a Chatman kid play at Pikeville and win a national championship there? What about the Justise twins from Peebles. Didn't they both play D1 or something? I guess I don't understand what kind of goals.
The Justice boys aren't twins. Both scored over 2,000 points while playing for Peebles. Blake played 1 year I think at D1 Akron and then transferred to D2 Valdosta State in Georgia and had a very good career. He was an assistant coach early in this season but recently signed a professional contract and is playing in Germany. His brother Beau started at West Liberty I believe but has since transferred to Valdosta St and last I heard was tearing it up.

And yes, Colt Chapman graduated from Jackson and went to a top NAIA school and was a rotation player early in his career as they won it all. Colt was a big player for them his final 2 years.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Noodle319 wrote:Goals are what the athletes and parents want out of playing high school sports. It may be a scholarship or just being the best player they can be. If a program is not what it should be then you can't blame a player for leaving. It just sucks that if a kid transfers from a bad situation to a good one they are labeled.
If being labeled a "transfer" is the worst thing someone's going to be labeled, then they're going to live a pretty happy life.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote:
Ed Ott wrote:
The Justice boys aren't twins. Both scored over 2,000 points while playing for Peebles. Blake played 1 year I think at D1 Akron and then transferred to D2 Valdosta State in Georgia and had a very good career. He was an assistant coach early in this season but recently signed a professional contract and is playing in Germany. His brother Beau started at West Liberty I believe but has since transferred to Valdosta St and last I heard was tearing it up.

And yes, Colt Chapman graduated from Jackson and went to a top NAIA school and was a rotation player early in his career as they won it all. Colt was a big player for them his final 2 years.
The dad was a twin. Those twins Brett and Brian played 1979-1982 I Believe. They averaged around 20 points each,their starting five all averaged in double figures and allowed less than 40 points per game.They were part of a team that won like 69 straight regular season games in a row for Peebles and coach Art Myers. Both played 4 years of college ,but ; I think they went to Capital.

Return to “Boys Basketball”