Warren 67 Logan 58 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Warren 67 Logan 58 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 67
Logan 58 final

... What an interesting evening of basketball at the Warrior Dome ! ... I'm not sure you can have a more "tale of 2 halves" than this one tonight between visiting Logan and the home standing Warren Warriors ... my thoughts going into to this one was that Logan really matches up well vs Warren ... 6-7 Chase Weihl and 6-5 Josh Huffman vs Caiden Landis at 6-5 & 6-4 ODU bound Kory Henthorne - I wasn't sure the paint would be big enough to hold these 4 Bigs ... then if you look at the perimeter game of both teams Kyler Dennis vs Bo Myers from 3 point land ... that leaves Caleb/Cory Bell for LHS and Cameron Bartmess/Bryce Gandee of WHS ... the Warrior bench (Trace Congleton/Bishop Ford/Jared Hall) vs Logan's bench (Wes Brooks/Colton Dixon) ... then you have to throw in the senior varsity experience of Warren vs the youngsters for Logan ... when I looked at all of these match-ups before the game without consulting my Ouija Board - I had Warren getting the "W" on experience & home court advantage ...

... driving to the game from Logan I was thinking that tonight's match-up was a great one for BOTH teams - Logan has had a Central District heavy schedule all season, the Chiefs could now see how they would fare vs one of the better teams/programs in SEOhio - the Warren Warriors ... Logan had lost their last 3 games by a total of 5 points to teams Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... Warren had to go up against a team that on paper is pretty balanced in what they can throw at you - Landis with his height and length could give Weihl & Huffman trouble inside which is something that WHS hasn't seen alot of this season ... add to the mix the perimeter scoring of Myers vs Dennis the outcome wasn't an easy one to pick - when asked by a few folks upon getting to the gym I had to go with a tossup ...

I'm not even going to describe this one by quarters ... lets go with halves :

First Half :

....... Warren .................................. Logan
Pts ......41 ...........................................25
3pters .. 7/13 ....................................... 2/6
FTs ..... 10/10 ...................................... 3/3
TOs .... 6 ........................................... 9

Kyler Dennis 25 pts ............................ Team Logan 25 points
Kyler Dennis 5 triples ......................... Team Logan 2 triples

WHS FG's .... 12 fgs ............................ LHS FGs ... 10 fgs

2nd Half :

........ Warren ..................................... Logan
Pts ..... 26 ........................................ 33
3pters .. 2/4 ....................................... 2/10
FTs ...... 14/22 .................................... 3/4
TOs ..... 9 ......................................... 6
FGs ..... 5 fgs ......................................... 14 fgs

Game totals :
Warren Bigs ......................................... Logan Bigs

Chase Weihl 15 pts ............................. Caiden Landis 25 pts
Josh Huffman 9 pts ............................. Kory Henthorne 16 pts
.........total 24 pts ...................................... total 41 pts

Points in the paint ... WHS 14 pts ......................... LHS 38 pts

Warren Kyler Dennis 29 pts ......................... Logan Bo Myers 15 pts

Cameron Bartmess 0 pts ............................................. Caleb Bell 0 pts
Bryce Gandee 3 pts .................................................. Coby Bell 2 pts

Bench Points Warren .................................................. Bench Points Logan
Trace Congleton 3 ............................................Colton Dixon 0 pts
Bishop Ford 0 pts .............................................Weston Brooks 0 pts
Jared Hall 8 pts ............................................... *****************

Logan had 24 fgs to Warren's 17 fgs on the game ...

... from the Cheap Seats experience mattered tonight as Warren after leading by 16 at the half saw the Logan Purple turn up the pressure in the half court in the 3rd quarter turning the Warriors over 7 times in the period ... LHS went inside to the Landis/Henthorne combination down low as the duo tallied 14 points in the 3rd as Logan whittled the Warren lead down to 7 points by the end of the 3rd ... with Logan holding Warren to 1 fg & 6pts in the 3rd I never got the impression that the Warriors were in panic mode - it appeared that it was business as usual as Coach Maddox's Warriors started the 4th with a 5-0 run to push the lead to 12 at 52-40 with just 1 minute off the game clock in the 4th ... the closest Logan would get from that point was the final 9 point margin of Warren 67 Logan 58 as Warren closed out the Chiefs with a 20-18 advantage in the final period ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Caiden Landis 25, Kory Henthore 16, Bo Myers 15, Coby Bell 2
3 pointers ... 4/16 ... Bo Myers 3, Caiden Landis 1
FTs .......... 6/7
TOs ... 15
PntP ... 38
Points in Transition ... 4

... Game Balls to the Logan Bigs inside Kory Henthorne and Caiden Landis both more than held their own vs the Warren Warriors ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Kyler Dennis 29, Chase Weihl 15, Josh Huffman 9, Jared Hall 8, Bryce Gandee 3, Trace Congleton 3
3 pointers ... 9/17 ... Kyler Dennis 5 , Chase Weihl 2, Bryce Gandee 1, Trace Congleton 1
FT's ......... 24/32
TOs ......... 15
PntP ........ 14
Points in Transition ... 2 on a onehanded Chase Weihl Dunk

... What's the worst thing to happen when you have 1 player score 25 points in the first 2 qtrs vs your opponents 25 points as a team in the same half ? - yep, half time !!! all of that momentum almost inevitably disappears and the urgency that got you a 16 point lead is hard to come by ... Warren was dominant in the first 2 quarters tonight behind that 25 point barrage by Kyler Dennis ... Logan did what I expected - battled back, got themselves into contention only to have a composed, mature Warren team regroup and finish out the game ... it should be a war at Jim's Gym the final game of the regular season for both teams in February ...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Warren 67 Logan 58 a final ...

Post by noreply66 »

24/32 ......6/7 didn't help

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Pfloyd, was great seeing you in the house last night, only if saying hello was all I was able to do. Best of luck in the future to you and the Puple and White. But it sure is fun matching up with Logan.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

WOW Big Blue shot 32 freebies to Logan's 7 . The Logan team I saw early in Dec played sound D . Was the foul difference due to fouling at the end ?Dennis going on a scoring spree the first half seem to be the difference .What adjustment did Logan make the 2nd half? I 'll check my schedule and try and make the rematch. My guess the fouls will be more balance next time . Is there any chance Athens get a chance to get back and play Warren in the Tourney? My guess they will not hold Lutz down the next time .Good run down Pfloyd .

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

The foul difference was actually in the flow of the game . Take that as you want . Should be a good rematch in LOGAN. As far as a Warren vs Athens rematch in The D2 tourney in Logan it could happens just depends on the seeds. Chiefs back in action on Tuesday to take on the Tigers. Go Chiefs!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I wasn't there and trying to make sense of the free throw difference. Both teams were equal in turnovers, Logan had way more points in the paint...both teams shot nearly the same number of 3's. What was the reasoning for such a ft attempt discrepancy? Was Logan just trying to be to intense on defense or what? Thanks
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Good run down Pfloyd. As we said last night, that was one physical game and there were many more fouls both ways that should have been called imo. Warren was doing a lot of driving to the basket so most of the fouls ended in ft. Warrens fouls for the most part were off the ball or out front on the ball. I did not see the total fouls for the teams but they weren't too far off until the very end.

Dennis was literally unconscious in half one and without that, Logan wins this game. Logan faced guarded Dennis most of second half and he was a none factor. Logan is a talented team and we will have to make some changes round two if we want to win in Logan. Maddox said they were going into the gym today to do just that.

pfloyd, prayers continuing your way from our house in the warrior nation!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

warrior90 wrote:Good run down Pfloyd. As we said last night, that was one physical game and there were many more fouls both ways that should have been called imo. Warren was doing a lot of driving to the basket so most of the fouls ended in ft. Warrens fouls for the most part were off the ball or out front on the ball. I did not see the total fouls for the teams but they weren't too far off until the very end.

Dennis was literally unconscious in half one and without that, Logan wins this game. Logan faced guarded Dennis most of second half and he was a none factor. Logan is a talented team and we will have to make some changes round two if we want to win in Logan. Maddox said they were going into the gym today to do just that.

pfloyd, prayers continuing your way from our house in the warrior nation!!
That was the guess but better heard from someone there.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Alot of Logans fouls were in fact touch fouls . Warren Had a least a couple of offensive fouls . Logan took the ball the the basket just could not get to the line . Logan only had one player attempt a foul shot (Corey 6for 7) . That had to be a big factor and I was there also.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chieftain Fan wrote:Alot of Logans fouls were in fact touch fouls . Warren Had a least a couple of offensive fouls . Logan took the ball the the basket just could not get to the line . Logan only had one player attempt a foul shot (Corey 6for 7) . That had to be a big factor and I was there also.
I saw a game last night where it felt similar. Ton of touch fouls, especially on the perimeter and letting the teams get away with a ton around the basket. Kills any flow to the game, especially with a team who plays good perimeter D like Logan can.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

It seems like Warren gives up a lot of layups/bunnies. In the losses to Meadowbrook, I felt like Meadowbrook either hit a 3 or a layup for all their points. I mention this because it kind of highlights something about Warren's style that I hadn't really thought about until last night.

Logan plays very physical. When Warren went to the basket or got the ball in the paint, Logan bodied up. Or hacked. Sometimes it was called, certainly not every time. When a Warren kid got beat or muscled around, it was more of a stand and watch the ball go up. It just seems to be the way they play. Hence, they never really have a lot of fouls called in the paint.

I completely disagree that Logan was victimized by "touch fouls." Logan doesn't play "touchy" and that is not a knock. The physicality enabled them to take Dennis out of the game after an incredible first half and they really pushed Warren around in the paint like few teams have done on offense. Warren's free throws were all by four guys - Hall & Dennis shot 10 & 8, mostly driving and getting clobbered. The two big guys shot 8 & 6 and there was nothing "touchy" happening in the paint at any point in that game (several times there were bodies on the floor with no call either way).

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

No body clobbered anyone in this game . If you get a chance review the game film before commenting . Logan made an adjustment to take Dennis out of the flow the second half . If they had not made that change he would have ended with 40 plus . They faced up Dennis and he did what he should let his team mates take over. A lot has to do with how an official crew wants the game to progress. Warrens did exactly what was needed to get the win . The original comment was made apparently from someone who wanted to know what the difference in the foul shooting was. That speaks for itself .See ya all in a couple weeks .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

enigmaax wrote:It seems like Warren gives up a lot of layups/bunnies. In the losses to Meadowbrook, I felt like Meadowbrook either hit a 3 or a layup for all their points. I mention this because it kind of highlights something about Warren's style that I hadn't really thought about until last night.

Logan plays very physical. When Warren went to the basket or got the ball in the paint, Logan bodied up. Or hacked. Sometimes it was called, certainly not every time. When a Warren kid got beat or muscled around, it was more of a stand and watch the ball go up. It just seems to be the way they play. Hence, they never really have a lot of fouls called in the paint.

I completely disagree that Logan was victimized by "touch fouls." Logan doesn't play "touchy" and that is not a knock. The physicality enabled them to take Dennis out of the game after an incredible first half and they really pushed Warren around in the paint like few teams have done on offense. Warren's free throws were all by four guys - Hall & Dennis shot 10 & 8, mostly driving and getting clobbered. The two big guys shot 8 & 6 and there was nothing "touchy" happening in the paint at any point in that game (several times there were bodies on the floor with no call either way).
Thanks. The more info you get the better you can get a grasp on how the game went.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Chieftain Fan wrote:No body clobbered anyone in this game . If you get a chance review the game film before commenting . Logan made an adjustment to take Dennis out of the flow the second half . If they had not made that change he would have ended with 40 plus . They faced up Dennis and he did what he should let his team mates take over. A lot has to do with how an official crew wants the game to progress. Warrens did exactly what was needed to get the win . The original comment was made apparently from someone who wanted to know what the difference in the foul shooting was. That speaks for itself .See ya all in a couple weeks .
Well I watched it and that's my observation. I don't have an issue with physical play; when that's your style and you get away with it, great, but I don't think you can complain when you don't.

Logan did a great job on Dennis in the 2nd half. Really, they played mostly a good game overall. Nothing I said takes away from that.

A difference in foul shots "speaks for itself" if you are into whining and lazy analysis. Teams aren't equal, teams don't play the same styles, so why would there ever be the thought that fouls/free throws are always going to be equal. If you honestly feel like Logan was somehow a victim, I'd be genuinely interested in which calls you thought were bad ones.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Ok Now I'm lazy , whining and complaining . I was not the one to say Logan HACKED and CLOBBERED the Warren players . You were the one . I have the upmost respect for Warren players and Coaches . Touch fouls are fouls they are whistled as such same as a hard foul . I've showed no disrespect for any part of last nights game . Like I said if an adjustment had not been made on Dennis and if not he could have scored 40 plus and the final would have been worse. As far as the free throw difference no fan had any part in that . So take what you want out of it. But lets move on and just root for our teams . Good luck to the Warriors the rest of the season ( except when they come to Jims Gym).

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Chieftain Fan wrote:Ok Now I'm lazy , whining and complaining . I was not the one to say Logan HACKED and CLOBBERED the Warren players . You were the one . I have the upmost respect for Warren players and Coaches . Touch fouls are fouls they are whistled as such same as a hard foul . I've showed no disrespect for any part of last nights game . Like I said if an adjustment had not been made on Dennis and if not he could have scored 40 plus and the final would have been worse. As far as the free throw difference no fan had any part in that . So take what you want out of it. But lets move on and just root for our teams . Good luck to the Warriors the rest of the season ( except when they come to Jims Gym).
Agreed. I'm a little sensitive to the "bad refs" thing because I see it so often (and I find it rarely valid). If I misinterpreted what you meant, that's my bad. For my terminology, I felt it was a pretty physical game as it always is with Logan. Hacked and clobbered were basically the other end of the "touch foul" spectrum. I'm sure the truth is in the middle. Thanks for the responses, even in disagreement.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Physical play and fouling are two different things, if you play with your feet instead of your hands you will have a lot fewer fouls called then a team who doesn't move the feet and is constantly using their hands.

Return to “Boys Basketball”