Players Transferring

Dandy Don
All Conference

Re: Players Transferring

Post by Dandy Don »

tvc-fan, we are talking about two different people your definition of local and mine in this case are different counties. It's not about you always. Congrats on your accomplishments, especially the raising your family part.

Which IS MY POINT. HS sports get overplayed and often overvalued with what is really important.

My apologies on the spelling/grammar, I was being a smart-elic, I usually have little room to talk lol, as my posts are sometimes hastily written as well.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

tvc_fan wrote:
Dandy Don wrote:High School sports 99.9% of the time is not a very good reason to transfer.

A better reason to transfer would be for your son or daughter to receive a better education and improve his or her opportunities post-High School. The number of people (Dads) that get caught up in this nonsense is increasing at an exponential rate it seems, and usually there is no benefit or marginal benefit. A local individual went back and forth 4-5 times between two schools from MS to graduating HS and I am not sure there was much benefit.

Academics is a better reason.

tvc_fan wrote:There really is cases to where I feel transferring is okay. I mean fore the most part I don't thing someone is transferring for the reason to better their chances for getting a college deal. Most are transferring to smaller schools just to get playing time.

Sometimes it's not all about how good or good a player is, someones little Johnny might be very good and possibly they play for a Coach that goes by Names and who Mommy and Daddy are. It does happen.

So Little Johnny transferring to be able to see valuable minutes in a game because he loves the game of basketball and knows his time playing the game he loves is limited to the time he is in high school...No he don't want a college deal, he just wants to play the game and he knows if transferred he will get to actually play and not have to sit their and just watch.

Once again their is coaches out there that it doesn't matter how good a player is, they have their own agenda of who is playing.

I just don't buy the whole coaches and hidden agenda theory that continues to permeate through a lot of these discussions. Call it "fake news".

Kids should work on school and then extracurricular activities, put the High School sports "glory years" in proper perspective. When kids are 25 sentence structure, spelling, communication and being fundamental in math, world history and having a solid education will be more important than playing time. Working hard, competing, and being a part of a team will probably serve them better than 200 additional minutes they got by transferring from school A to school B.

But, I could be wrong and often I am.
LOL, You really wanna play spelling game, it's called auto correct and not re-checking.

For your info, I have a High School Education, Degree in Business Administration, Degree in Accounting, I have managed several places, And now going on my 4th year of Owning and running a Very Successful Business.

Oh yeah and while accomplishing all that I raised 3 boys on my own. So before you try to correct some spelling in an attempt to make me look stupid, think again!!!

Most local High School teach at the same level, and transferring can get them not only playing time in something they love and also the same education.

I would like to add, that I am Meigs Alumni, 2 sons are Meigs Alumni and now attending College (One played College Basketball and the other signed to play baseball (but said heck with getting up at 5am and decided to focus on Education) My 3rd son will also be a Meigs Alumni. So none of this applies to me, But I have seen several kids transfer from Meigs that wouldn't have had much playing time at Meigs, and went to different Meigs County Schools and loved playing for them.

WARNING: I didn't go back and do a spell check since this is just a Message Board and not any type of Legal Forms or such, so apologize if any words auto-wronged.

Oh And that Local boy your talking about that went back and forth to 4-5 different schools is now getting an Education paid for and also playing basketball at the Collegiate Level. So although transferring to different schools did not hurt him at all..I do believe he graduated High School with a 3.8, I might be mistaken on that grade as well.

Am I the only one that read this post like this:

"Mines bigger than yours! Look how big mine is! I grew it myself it's huge."

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

The school I follow recently changed coaches in another major sport, so once again this very subject is being rattled around by a number of people, that is if you can believe the local rumor mills.

Stay put, work hard, and support your team, friends and yes your school.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

bbjunky81 wrote:
tvc_fan wrote:
Dandy Don wrote:High School sports 99.9% of the time is not a very good reason to transfer.

A better reason to transfer would be for your son or daughter to receive a better education and improve his or her opportunities post-High School. The number of people (Dads) that get caught up in this nonsense is increasing at an exponential rate it seems, and usually there is no benefit or marginal benefit. A local individual went back and forth 4-5 times between two schools from MS to graduating HS and I am not sure there was much benefit.

Academics is a better reason.

I just don't buy the whole coaches and hidden agenda theory that continues to permeate through a lot of these discussions. Call it "fake news".

Kids should work on school and then extracurricular activities, put the High School sports "glory years" in proper perspective. When kids are 25 sentence structure, spelling, communication and being fundamental in math, world history and having a solid education will be more important than playing time. Working hard, competing, and being a part of a team will probably serve them better than 200 additional minutes they got by transferring from school A to school B.

But, I could be wrong and often I am.
LOL, You really wanna play spelling game, it's called auto correct and not re-checking.

For your info, I have a High School Education, Degree in Business Administration, Degree in Accounting, I have managed several places, And now going on my 4th year of Owning and running a Very Successful Business.

Oh yeah and while accomplishing all that I raised 3 boys on my own. So before you try to correct some spelling in an attempt to make me look stupid, think again!!!

Most local High School teach at the same level, and transferring can get them not only playing time in something they love and also the same education.

I would like to add, that I am Meigs Alumni, 2 sons are Meigs Alumni and now attending College (One played College Basketball and the other signed to play baseball (but said heck with getting up at 5am and decided to focus on Education) My 3rd son will also be a Meigs Alumni. So none of this applies to me, But I have seen several kids transfer from Meigs that wouldn't have had much playing time at Meigs, and went to different Meigs County Schools and loved playing for them.

WARNING: I didn't go back and do a spell check since this is just a Message Board and not any type of Legal Forms or such, so apologize if any words auto-wronged.

Oh And that Local boy your talking about that went back and forth to 4-5 different schools is now getting an Education paid for and also playing basketball at the Collegiate Level. So although transferring to different schools did not hurt him at all..I do believe he graduated High School with a 3.8, I might be mistaken on that grade as well.

Am I the only one that read this post like this:

"Mines bigger than yours! Look how big mine is! I grew it myself it's huge."
Read it how you want to my friend.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Players transferring has been happening in the bigger cities for a long time and no one even bats an eye. When it happens in our small communities however there is always A lot more hurt feeling and feelings of betrayal involved. Kids transferring for sports is actually very rare. The school I support has open enrollment and many kids chose to attend that school for several different reasons ...the education , being bullied , Custody issues etc. But since they can't run a 4.6 40 or bench press 300 no one bats an eye. Having said that from perspective most of the time when kids transfer it doesn't work out they way they envisioned. They're are instances where a kid has transferred for sports and elevated his/her career. But very few instances. Most kids will not play sports after high school, the only thing I want for my children is to have a good experience . That is the main thing in my opinion . You only get to do this one time in your life and it will be memories you will keep forever. How many can't Remember where we put our wallet but can remember the 4th quarter , week 10 against our rival from
Many years ago. It's a tough decision and a decision that can only be made by the child and the parents . Often the grass isn't greener on the other side , sometimes the grass is Kentucky blue grass .

Just my 2 cents .

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

With travel ball and AAU KIDS AND PARENTS are around a lot of other players and parents that gets to be friends . They talk about coming together in High School to have a superior team . This happens a lot where a smaller school really good player wants more exposure and wants to join a winning program and sometimes leaves his friends behind . That is his/her and their parents right to do so . To me this shows that some want the experience of playing for their school and doing whatever it takes to contribute and being faithful to their roots . Others think they are better and want to prove it by moving on . My only problem is multiple times a player transfers during their high school years and in doing so uses the system. This will never change . Just remember great players make their team mates better ,success breaths success into a program just look at some of the good SEO programs . Kids need to be kids and let the chips fall . Just my 2 cent worth.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

In an area where the good kids are lucky to go to Rio or Marietta, I'm happy Ibi Watson and Parker Stewart left for big time programs. I'm not about holding back athletes. Go be great

You guys are talking about average high school athletes loading up on a team. Big difference. They want to win games, D1 players want to develop into better players

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Raider6309 wrote:In an area where the good kids are lucky to go to Rio or Marietta, I'm happy Ibi Watson and Parker Stewart left for big time programs. I'm not about holding back athletes. Go be great

You guys are talking about average high school athletes loading up on a team. Big difference. They want to win games, D1 players want to develop into better players
Is anyone onboard with holding back athletes like those situations?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

if you send your kid to Jackson but a D1 college coach wants him to go to a pipeline school, you would be holding him back

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Raider6309 wrote:if you send your kid to Jackson but a D1 college coach wants him to go to a pipeline school, you would be holding him back
Maybe you should've read my early post on this...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ironman92 wrote:I don't speak for anyone else but

I just want to put out there that my kid won't transfer to play basketball under any circumstances. If he were elite (pretty sure fire future D1 college player)....then maybe if it were necessary purposes. He won't be going to greener pastures so he can play sparingly at OUC.

Be a part of the answer, not a part of the problem.
For raider

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

If someones kid wants to transfer I hope they come to Chesapeake. We haven't been getting those elite athlete transfers like we used to get.

Return to “Boys Basketball”