Top Tournament Programs All Time In SE District

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Top Tournament Programs All Time In SE District

Post by trojandave »

With the sectional draw coming shortly, what are the top tournament programs all time in the SE district? There are several objective criteria that I used to determine the list. Sectional titles, district titles, regional titles, and state titles or state runnerup. A school gets 1 point for each title or a state runnerup, 2 points for a state title.

Based on those categories, here are the Sweet 16 tournament programs all time in the SE District, with highlights of each program included:

1. Portsmouth..........62 sectional titles, 37 district titles, 15 regional titles, 4 state runnerups, 4 state titles.............126 points
2. Wheelersburg.......39 sectional titles, 18 district titles, 6 regional titles, 2 state runnerups...............................65 points
3. Chillicothe..........38 sectional titles, 14 district titles, 3 regional titles, 1 state title.....................................57 points
4. Ironton..............36 sectional titles, 15 district titles, 3 regional titles, 1 state runnerup................................55 points
5. Marietta.............32 sectional titles, 11 district titles, 8 regional titles, 1 state runnerup................................52 points
6. Southeastern Ross..31 sectional titles, 15 district titles, 5 regional titles.....................................................51 points
tie. Greenfield McClain...38 sectional titles, 12 district titles, 1 regional title.................................................51 points
8. Chesapeake.........33 sectional titles, 14 district titles, 1 regional title......................................................48 points
9. Racine Southern....38 sectional titles, 6 district titles, 2 regional titles......................................................46 points
10. Lucasville Valley..23 sectional titles, 8 district titles, 2 regional titles......................................................33 points
11. Fairland............24 sectional titles, 5 district titles, 3 regional titles......................................................32 points
12. Portsmouth East...27 sectional titles, 4 district titles...........................................................................31 points
13. Waverly.............21 sectional titles, 8 district titles, 1 regional title.......................................................30 points
14. Franklin Furnace Green....23 sectional titles, 5 district titles, 1 regional title.............................................29 points
15. Athens..............27 sectional titles, 1 district title...........................................................................28 points
16. South Webster......17 sectional titles, 6 district titles, 2 regional titles, 1 state title......................................27 points

Lynchburg Clay has the most recent state tournament appearance of any SE school, losing to Cleveland Villa-Angela St.Joseph in the D3 semifinals. Portsmouth has the most recent state tournament win for any SE school, beating Ottawa-Glandorf in the D3 2012 semifinals. Oak Hill has the most recent state title for any SE school, beating Kalida in the D4 state championship game.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Top Tournament Programs All Time In SE District

Post by Ironman92 »

I think Jackson cracks the top 75 current SE district teams with about 5 points

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

Wow,that's some impressive stuff, and the numbers for Portsmouth is insane. Surprised only two teams on that list has a state title

whsball
Freshman Team

Post by whsball »

Doesn't make sense to give a sectional title the same weight (pts) as a district, regional, state appearance... I'd reorder this.. still pretty cool. Hell some sectional titles are one game.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

don'treply: There are 3 schools that have won state titles on that list, Portsmouth, Chillicothe, and South Webster. It just shows how tough it is to win a state title.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

How about Sectional title 1, district title 2, regional champ 4, state champ 8

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

whsball: I gave 1 point for each title simply because I would probably be overwhelmed by the math involved. There might be some reshuffling with those 16 teams, but the teams that are on the list probably would still be on the list with a different format. I think Portsmouth would still be easily #1, with Wheelersburg and Chillicothe still #2 and #3. The different order of teams would be further down the list.

It's not the best ranking system, but it does highlight the programs that have had some outstanding tournament accomplishments.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Using Ironman92's method, here are the Sweet 16 programs.......not too many changes in the order: (I hope my math is right)

1. Portsmouth..............198 points
2. Wheelersburg...........99 points
3. (tie) Chillicothe........86 points
Marietta.................86 points
5. SE Ross...................82 points
6. Ironton...................78 points
7. Chesapeake.............68 points
8. Greenfield McClain....66 points
9. Racine Southern........58 points
10. Lucasville Valley......47 points
11. Fairland................46 points
12. South Webster.........45 points
13. Waverly................41 points
14. FF Green..............37 points
15. Ports.East.............35 points
16. Athens.................29 points
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Great info

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Where do you find the sectional,district, regional for each school? For many years SHL schools went thru Hillsboro, Chillicothe and some thru Dayton.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Great job trojandave. Some of us remember that it was harder to get to the state years ago with only three divisions.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Hoopie74 wrote:Where do you find the sectional,district, regional for each school? For many years SHL schools went thru Hillsboro, Chillicothe and some thru Dayton.
The SE District has records of all games played in the SE District and Regional, and are located in the program. This year the program will contain the complete won-loss record of every school who has played in the tournaments on OHIO Universities campus.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Great to see South Webster on that list.. The craziest part about those numbers for South Webster, is the majority of that came from 2003-2007 (4 district titles, 2 regional titles, 1 state title). The Jeeps have won 2 district titles since then.

I guess what I'm getting at - in the last 15 years the Jeeps probably rank right at the top in all of SE Ohio. But before 2003, they would rank very, very low.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Very cool!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

thanks for taking the time Dave. Great piece of info

Coach SLegg
Waterboy

Post by Coach SLegg »

trojandave wrote:Using Ironman92's method, here are the Sweet 16 programs.......not too many changes in the order: (I hope my math is right)

1. Portsmouth..............198 points
2. Wheelersburg...........99 points
3. (tie) Chillicothe........86 points
Marietta.................86 points
5. SE Ross...................82 points
6. Ironton...................78 points
7. Greenfield McClain.....66 points
8. Chesapeake.............65 points
9. Racine Southern........58 points
10. Lucasville Valley......47 points
11. Fairland................46 points
12. South Webster.........45 points
13. Waverly................41 points
14. FF Green..............37 points
15. Ports.East.............35 points
16. Athens.................29 points
28 points -> Piketon would be one of the 1st teams out
16 Sectional Titles
4 District Titles
1 Regional Title

Here Comes the Streaks!
earp
S

Post by earp »

Is this boys and girls combined? Because Fairland only has 1 regional title in boys.The other 2 regionals are girls.Unless you are counting old Proctorville High School way back in the 20s.

ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

Well...Fairland had Rome High School that I believe won a state title many moons ago, but still was a state title.

Also, Symmes Valley would have the Waterloo Wonders 2 state titles again from many years ago.

Waterloo, in terms of state championships, would be the second school south of Columbus! That's amazing!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

earp: The OHSAA state program does indeed list Fairland as having made an appearance in 1961, but I also counted the two appearances by Proctorville since it is basically the same high school, just under a different name now with probably a larger geographical district.

Also, I missed Chesapeake's 2016 district title, which would now move them up ahead of Greenfield McClain on Ironman92's method. I edited Chesapeake's new ranking.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens has two district titles, 65 and 13

Return to “Boys Basketball”