Little League Approach - Old School vs. New School

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Little League Approach - Old School vs. New School

Post by warningtrackpower »

This has been a big topic over the past six years on SVC Sports Talk. This past week I tried my best to be objective about LL basketball and talk compromise. Here is a link - let me know your thoughts. http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk012317

king kong
Freshman Team

Re: Little League Approach - Old School vs. New School

Post by king kong »

Frontal lobotomies for every parent out there that thinks there 14 and under kid is the next Lebron! That would cure a lot of the problems! lol

In seriousness, balance is the best thing for everyone, sports, life, etc. The varsity coach is the best place to start, he or she needs to make it clear that winning will come later, building trust among team mates that leads to friendships will take you further in sports than just skills. The varsity coach must make it clear that winning is down the list. The problem with this are those kids and parents who are of the mindset, the grass is greener over there and they encourage winning!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

king kong is right, winning is not the most important aspect of youth basketball. Getting kids to just enjoy the game is more important, because if they really enjoy it, then they will continue to play and with that will come the desire to get to a higher skill level. Kids will not continue to do something that they don't enjoy. Even at the middle school level it is more important for a coach to develop skill levels than to win. Good skill development at the youth and middle school levels quite often translates to a successful varsity program.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

When our family moved back home to Peebles in 1969 , I remember junior high as being the time you started playing basketball. The seventh and 8th grades where when we started playing organized BB at Jefferson and Longfellow elementary schools in Dayton ,Ohio. In the ninth grade I started in Peebles. There was no bitty ball .Everyone was enthusiastic.We always had 4 to 7 seniors,and the rest were juniors. Occasionally there would be a sophomore on the varsity teams. These teams were just that ,anything for the team. In later years it seemed that everyone had to have a bitty ball program. Then it got to where you had to play BB all year round and the AAU teams developed. I feel this has really hurt high school basketball. No team ball anymore. Just alley ball. How many high school teams have 4-7 seniors and the rest juniors on their varsity teams now? Kids that played their whole high school careers together and knew each other's every move. We don't have that anymore because kids get burnt out on Basketball by the time they are 13 or 14 years old. Let the kids do something other than basketball during the summer,Don't make them play bitty ball. Let them choose their game and we will have kids who want to play and they won't get burned out on the
game we love.

Return to “Boys Basketball”