Young coaches

Preppy
Waterboy

Young coaches

Post by Preppy »

Let me say first that I have never coached beyond the jr hi level so this is just an observation. I have been around this game for over 40 years and while it is nice to see some new young coaches entering the game, I was at a game last night and watched a coach who had to be younger than 25. This coach and the entire staff pretty much did nothing but complain about calls for most the entire game. The other coach who was a little older and obviously a veteran coach would pick and choose what he would question and would question the call to the ref only when the ref would be close to him and not by screaming across the court. As I set back and watched this I noticed that as the game went on that each of the 3 refs pretty much just stopped hearing what the younger coach had to say and would just run right on by him each time up and down the court. And in turn would hear the other coach out if he had a question on a call. I actually could not believe that the younger coach was not assessed one or more technical fouls. After the game I seen 2 of the refs at a local eatery and chatted with them a little and I asked them about the harassment they took and how no technical fouls were given out? lol. They both just stated that he is a first year coach and very young and that he will learn in time that coaches generally gain nothing by complaining about calls non stop for the entire game.
It got to the point of almost entertaining to watch the non stop complaining, I guess maybe that is part of the reason for this post.
I am in no means trying to bash this or any coach, only an observation that I witnessed last night. I guess I am more curious as to hear maybe from refs on the opinion of how far is to far from a young coach? How little respect is to little?

smith.hill.royalty
Waterboy

Re: Young coaches

Post by smith.hill.royalty »

So Preppy....which one of the three officials were you last night???

Are you referring to the game where the young coaches team shot 14 free throws to the other teams 38???
Last edited by smith.hill.royalty on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

I can see letting some things go because of being a young coach, but I also believe in tough love like 2 Ts and you are out of here would be of good value toward becoming a good coach. At least it would give him and his assistants something to think about . A word of wisdom Coach your team to the best of your ability and let the calls stand merit to that degree. Calls will balance out but if a coach is constantly complaining he's not devoting all of his attention to coaching his team and that is not fair to his players. IMO But good luck to all the young coaches they will be old one before they know it.

Preppy
Waterboy

Post by Preppy »

smith.hill.royalty wrote:So Preppy....which one of the three officials were you last night???

Are you referring to the game where the young coaches team shot 14 free throws to the other teams 38???
LOL. No refing for me. No way I could handle it. I am to quick tempered and my skinny hind end would more than likely be whipped within days. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not believe we are speaking of the same game. The game I witnessed neither team got into the bonus in the 1st half and while I do not keep stats, I am pretty positive that there wasn't 52 free throws shot in the game. I thought maybe I should have not posted this yesterday just for the fact someone would think I was bashing when in fact I am not. Just wanted to hear some thoughts. Sorry if anyone took this post the wrong way.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

I feel that officials should at least give a warning to coaches before the technical, but if the complaining doesn't stop then 1 tech should be in order. 2 technicals is a little extreme since the coach/school get fined and the coach has to go through an anger management course of sorts. Plus it's a lot more paperwork for the referees :D .

Young coaches (and new coaches in general) I could definitely see getting distracted by the calls and worrying more about the officiating than his/her team. However, that's all part of gaining experience I suppose. Going from being a player or fan to going into coaching is an entirely different perspective, so it could be a difficult mindset to change. Starting as an assistant or having veteran assistant coaches could help reign in head coaches who don't have the proper focus as well.

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

Snowman wrote:I feel that officials should at least give a warning to coaches before the technical, but if the complaining doesn't stop then 1 tech should be in order. 2 technicals is a little extreme since the coach/school get fined and the coach has to go through an anger management course of sorts. Plus it's a lot more paperwork for the referees :D .

Young coaches (and new coaches in general) I could definitely see getting distracted by the calls and worrying more about the officiating than his/her team. However, that's all part of gaining experience I suppose. Going from being a player or fan to going into coaching is an entirely different perspective, so it could be a difficult mindset to change. Starting as an assistant or having veteran assistant coaches could help reign in head coaches who don't have the proper focus as well.

Most of the time officials gives more then one warning. Plus if you get 2 not only you get tossed you got to sit out the next 2 games

Return to “Boys Basketball”