State tourney

Hoopie74
SEOP

State tourney

Post by Hoopie74 »

Who was the last southeastern Ohio public school to make it state with no transfers.Homegrown teams.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: State tourney

Post by Hoopie74 »

North Adams made it one year with Nathan Copas and company.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote:North Adams made it one year with Nathan Copas and company.

Whiteoak made it with all Whiteoak kids....and no rotation player over 6'2

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

South Webster in 2004 was homegrown (Waginger transferred in for 2006 season). Lost to Holgate in state-semis on a buzzer beater. And I don't recall any transfers on Wheelersburg's teams in 2006 or 2007 that made it to State, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.*

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote:

I forgot about them.Thanks.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Ironman92 wrote:

Want to say that was 2006? They beat us, Fisher, at the Convo on their trek to Columbus.

Portsmouth has made it multiple times. Lynchburg-Clay as well.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Was Brigham from South Webster? Idk why I thought he was from there but played on Ironton first and then went back to Webster

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

It's almost impossible for a small school to make it to state with kids who lived their lives in that town. Hoosiers is a pipe dream it seems.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Eastern Brown made it but had two exchange students on that team.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Warren in 2013. Pretty sure all of those kids played from junior high on up through high school together.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

art_vandelay wrote:South Webster in 2004 was homegrown (Waginger transferred in for 2006 season). Lost to Holgate in state-semis on a buzzer beater. And I don't recall any transfers on Wheelersburg's teams in 2006 or 2007 that made it to State, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.*
Wheelersburg actually had 3 transfers on that team that started.

Cam Miller and Seth Cowgill came from Minford in 8th grade.

Matt Jenkins came from West, can't remember which grade but around junior high time.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

What exactly are you considering "home grown"? Do their parents have to be alumni? Do they need to be born there? Attended kindergarten there? Where is the cutoff to not be considered a "home grown"?

Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

art_vandelay wrote:South Webster in 2004 was homegrown (Waginger transferred in for 2006 season). Lost to Holgate in state-semis on a buzzer beater. And I don't recall any transfers on Wheelersburg's teams in 2006 or 2007 that made it to State, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.*

WRONG!!!!! Wheelersburg had 2 Minford transfers , and they were the 2 best players in Cam Miller and Seth Cowgill and Matt Jenkins came from Portsmouth West. Sorry to sound so intense with the multiple explanation points, but I about spit out my coffee when I first read the post :o

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

If I remember right Chesapeake's 2010 team had two transfers, one started.

ROLL PEAKE
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

bbjunky81 wrote:

Matt Jenkins came from West, can't remember which grade but around junior high time.
i knew jenks transferred from west in jr high and cowgill from minford. i didn't know that cam did

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote:What exactly are you considering "home grown"? Do their parents have to be alumni? Do they need to be born there? Attended kindergarten there? Where is the cutoff to not be considered a "home grown"?
Kids that started together a young age in organized basketball in the school promoted level. Generally jr high and up. With open enrollment it's almost impossible to to keep a group of kids together like it used to be years ago.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:

i knew jenks transferred from west in jr high and cowgill from minford. i didn't know that cam did
Yes Cam came after his 8th grade year at Minford and entered 8th grade at Wheelersburg the following year.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

NewEra wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:

Yes Cam came after his 8th grade year at Minford and entered 8th grade at Wheelersburg the following year.
did not know that

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

warrior90 wrote:Warren in 2013. Pretty sure all of those kids played from junior high on up through high school together.
Didn't hall come from belpre

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bbjunky81 wrote:

There it is. Completely forgot about Miller/Cowgill being from Minford in junior high.*

Return to “Boys Basketball”