Waverly Fading Down The Stretch ??

Omega
SEOPS H

Waverly Fading Down The Stretch ??

Post by Omega »

The Tigers have lost three close games on the road and have had to battle for two close wins at home in their last five contests. I am out of state and have no chance to see Waverly play and know if there are any specific problems. Can anyone fill me in? Waverly still has a good season going and it would be nice to see the Tigers improving as they head into the tournaments.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The Flush
Varsity

Re: Waverly Fading Down The Stretch ??

Post by The Flush »

I don't think they are fading. It is more that Waverly is a good, but not great team. They have no big man and no great outside shooter. They rely on aggressive defense and transitional scoring. This works fine against inferior talent or undisciplined teams. Against evenly matched teams it could come down to whether or not there is a hot shooter or not. Teams like this could easily lose some games that they could win and are less likely to pull the upset against the better teams. They lost to Oak Hill who is the best team in the SOC2 and to Wheelersburg, who is tied for 2nd. They beat South Webster who is also tied for 2nd. The loss to Minford is one of those games that can happen with this type of team. They still get to play NW twice, and get a chance at revenge for each of their relatively tough losses. There are no specific problems. Hopefully they will improve their shooting consistency down the stretch.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Defense is not good right now and FT shooting has hurt. FT shooting (Tiger misses) down the stretch kept West in the game in a 75-73 Tiger win and FT shooting killed the Tigers late in he game against West Union. Tigers could have sealed the deal in regulation had they made their FT's in the last 30 seconds but they missed 3 or 4 and WU tied it up. No offense to West Union but no way should they beat Waverly.
Waverly lead Wheelersburg late and let it slip away and got beat at Minford in a very close game.
Waverly has some talent and athletes and can score with anyone. I see it at as a lack of defense and terrible FT shooting.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Rebounding has been an Achilles heel as well. Too many trips where the opposing team gets multiple offensive rebounds. I was sitting behind Travis the other night and he was screaming at them to rebound. This is where their lack of a big man is really hurts ng them. Hopefully they play well this week at Oak Hill and at South Webster!

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

I agree with smurray. the problem is the defense. My best estimation Waverly is averaging 70ish points a game but teams are now starting to score in the 70's on us. Teams have seen enough film to know what defense Waverly is going to play the entire game. They are well prepared for it. West Union and West used picks to free up there shooters on the outside. Wheelersburg did the picks for the outside shooters and also spread the tigers defense out and drove to the basket. Offense is fine but turnovers and defense rebounding is hurting the transition game Waverly relies on.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Lots of good points have been made. I'll add my two cents :)

Nothing much has changed over the course of the season. We've won some really close games. Some that took darn near a miracle to pull off. We don't have much size at all and don't shoot the ball that great. As others said, we rely on easy baskets off steals and transition. If that's not happening we've probably in trouble. We don't have the personnel to be a half court team.

I'd say the biggest problem is the lack of a big man who can block a few shots or change some shots. Nothing we can do about that. As mentioned, foul shooting has cost a couple of games of late. I believe three of our four losses have been by five points or less.

This team is well coached, plays hard and you won't find a nicer group of kids. They're really fun to watch. Hopefully we can get back on the winning track.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

toast wrote:Lots of good points have been made. I'll add my two cents :)

Nothing much has changed over the course of the season. We've won some really close games. Some that took darn near a miracle to pull off. We don't have much size at all and don't shoot the ball that great. As others said, we rely on easy baskets off steals and transition. If that's not happening we've probably in trouble. We don't have the personnel to be a half court team.

I'd say the biggest problem is the lack of a big man who can block a few shots or change some shots. Nothing we can do about that. As mentioned, foul shooting has cost a couple of games of late. I believe three of our four losses have been by five points or less.

This team is well coached, plays hard and you won't find a nicer group of kids. They're really fun to watch. Hopefully we can get back on the winning track.
True on all points. Tigers have not been blown out of any game they have lost, including the Oak Hill game which they were in striking distance of with a minute to go. After starting 9-1, beating some pretty good teams, it's tough to swallow losing to West Union and barely beating West & Valley. Tough losses at Burg & Minford (with terrible officiating) can be expected. Tigers have to take care of business when we get them on the home floor.

I agree, Waverly is well coached and they work hard, but there are things they can correct to win games. Boxing out instead of watching the ball, more sound defense, less turnovers, FT's.. FT's... FT's.... Ft's..... Did I say FREE THROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's no secret that FT's have cost the Tigers some games. THAT IS CORRECTABLE.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

smurray wrote:

True on all points. Tigers have not been blown out of any game they have lost, including the Oak Hill game which they were in striking distance of with a minute to go. After starting 9-1, beating some pretty good teams, it's tough to swallow losing to West Union and barely beating West & Valley. Tough losses at Burg & Minford (with terrible officiating) can be expected. Tigers have to take care of business when we get them on the home floor.

I agree, Waverly is well coached and they work hard, but there are things they can correct to win games. Boxing out instead of watching the ball, more sound defense, less turnovers, FT's.. FT's... FT's.... Ft's..... Did I say FREE THROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you aren't saying Minford was the benefactor of favorable officiating for their win, because Gullett could have filed a police report for the mugging he received during that game. This game had terrible officiating for both teams, but it was not in any way favorable for Minford. Guards were getting beat to death, but if you breathed on a post player the whistle was being blown. The only thing that may have stood out was that your coach was way more vocal than ours.

This is usually a very good crew, but they certainly weren't their best on that night. However, it was bad BOTH ways and not one sided as you have implied.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

smurray wrote:

I agree with your points. One other thing I noticed in the West game was questionable shot selection late in the game when they had a decent lead. They were shooting way too quickly from too far out and when they missed it just gave West more time to get back in the game. With more patience, the game should have never been that close at the end.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

minford17 wrote:
smurray wrote:

Hope you aren't saying Minford was the benefactor of favorable officiating for their win, because Gullett could have filed a police report for the mugging he received during that game. This game had terrible officiating for both teams, but it was not in any way favorable for Minford. Guards were getting beat to death, but if you breathed on a post player the whistle was being blown. The only thing that may have stood out was that your coach was way more vocal than ours.

This is usually a very good crew, but they certainly weren't their best on that night. However, it was bad BOTH ways and not one sided as you have implied.
I wasn't at the game but listened to radio and talked to those who were and TERRIBLE officiating, whether it benefits one team or another in the amount of bad calls one way or the other affects teams differently. Sounds like we can agree it was terrible.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I appreciate everyone's input!

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tigerfan92
Waterboy

Post by Tigerfan92 »

Maybe someone should tell Travis they should be practicing boxing out and shooting some free throws in practice. Lol. Free throws are being shot by the butt load, I guarantee you. Shooting in practice and shooting in a game are two different things. Free throws are contagious, one starts missing and it spreads. But let's face it, how many good shooters does Waverly have? This is not their strong point and hasn't been for most of Travis's tenure. If the kids don't work in the off season it's hard to expect good shooting in the winter. How many players show up for Travis in the summer? I know they play football and that's ok. Just don't expect a lot if you don't put in the time. As far as rebounding, I just don't see a kid with a rebounding mentality. This is hard to instill in a player if they don't have it. This is still a fun group to watch because they play hard. To be honest, I thought coming into the season they would be around .500. I think they have done well. Waverly has some young basketball players coming up that are true basketball players. They play a lot of ball year round. If they stay together, look for exciting times in the future. In the meantime, enjoy watching a team that plays hard and will upset a team down the stretch. But don't be upset if they drop one or two they shouldn't.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I agree that Travis is doing a great job with the talent he has. Not having a big is hard for any team. Waverly is young and very talented in the next few classes coming up. The future is very bright. I am hoping they can find their shooting touch and shock everyone and beat Oak Hill tonight. They have the talent to do it. They were right in the game at home and very easily could have won that game. I also think they figured out how to defend Landon Caroll in the second half. They did a much better job on him once they switched Cade on him. He is the one who can beat you. If you can contain him you can win. I do agree there are players who are focused on basketball coming. Remington, Swain, Smallwood, Hoover, Davis and of course Robertson and Stulley in two years are all lovers of basketball. That will help. Not knocking the other kids but many of them are focused on football and rightfully so when they are all state level players like Howell Marquez and Wolfe ect. They are great kids, very coachable, and fun to watch. I will continue to enjoy watching them and hope they can finish the season strong. My kid has been out injured all year so it is tough to watch some times, but the quality of these kids make it enjoyable.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I totally agree with Tigerfan92 and Ukfanatic, it's just knowing these guys could be 12-2 or 13-1 right now with a play or two, a FT or two in those games. I too thought they would be at .500 right now so they have exceeded expectations but can be a pretty good team with a couple things getting corrected. I see a couple guys coming around now looking to rebound. FT's are 95% mental. Step up and knock it down, same form, same motion every time. FT's in practice are different then in a game which proves its all mental.

EagleEye3
Riding the Bench

Post by EagleEye3 »

Waverly has a lot of good athletes, not sure they have the most basketball players. Which obviously hurts in team shooting. The future is bright that's for sure.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigers trailed Oak Hill by 16 on the road and fought back to within 2 before falling by 10.
Two of Waverly's 5 losses are to undefeated Iak Hill in which Waverly was right there and then 3 more tough losses on the road.
It doesn't get any easier Friday as the Tigers travel to South Webster.
Hopefully the Tigers can pull it together enough to pick up win #11. Desperately need a win Friday night.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Waverly will win at South Webster

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Great comments by all! I think we all agree Travis does an excellent job and gets the most out of his talent. I too think this team has already exceeded expectations. Lots of great athletes but not many real basketball players and just no size. Hope we can finish strong and get some wins down the stretch.

And the future is bright! Some nice basketball talent is on the way.

If you want to see them perform come tonight at 5:30 and watch our Jr. High play Minford. Game is at home up top. Our undefeated 7th grade plays a very strong Minford team. Followed by our 10-2 8th grade going up against a nice Minford 8th grade. You'll get your moneys worth I promise.

On a side note: We've got some size on the way! :)

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

toast wrote:Great comments by all! I think we all agree Travis does an excellent job and gets the most out of his talent. I too think this team has already exceeded expectations. Lots of great athletes but not many real basketball players and just no size. Hope we can finish strong and get some wins down the stretch.

And the future is bright! Some nice basketball talent is on the way.

If you want to see them perform come tonight at 5:30 and watch our Jr. High play Minford. Game is at home up top. Our undefeated 7th grade plays a very strong Minford team. Followed by our 10-2 8th grade going up against a nice Minford 8th grade. You'll get your moneys worth I promise.

On a side note: We've got some size on the way! :)
:)

Return to “Boys Basketball”