DIII - Jackson

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Re: DIII - Jackson

Post by Oaktown »

Dragon's Lair wrote:
Oaktown wrote:
Dragon's Lair wrote: No way that happens. If it does then seeding is a joke!
Have you actually looked at Huntington's schedule and record. They were beaten the game after Fairland by a team now 4-10. They have played nobody. Two of their wins were by a 1 win team and 2 win team. Talk about a garbage schedule. Honestly their best win is Ironton. I hope Huntington isn't Fairland's claim to fame.
I see you are getting your information from maxpreps. Huntington did not lose to Wayne, that is a misprint. The only other loss they have is to Capital. So we can use that win or Huntington Prep's "B" team where two of their "A" team kids dropped down and played, or we could use Chaminade-Julienne, or Athens, or even Garaway. All of which is better than anyone on the Oaks schedule. Eastern Pike is a pretty good win but they are a D4 team that you only beat by 4 points.

Don't be confused, Im not taking anything away from Fairlands accomplishments. Chaminade-Julienne and Garaway are good wins. I'm less impressed with Athens than everyone else on Preps. I've watched them play and I think they are a very good team, but also very beatable (as proven by a 7-5 record). I'm sure Huntington is a good team, but based on the schedules of the teams they have beaten they appear average at best in their division (not top tier) as mentioned above. (This opinion is based the same as yours on the Oaks)

I'm just curious, have you even watched Oak Hill play this year or are you basing everything you know about them on a schedule? Everyone on here talks about the eye test and how important that is for Pfloyds rankings. Obviously Pfloyd liked what he saw or they wouldn't be in the Elite 8. And I want to point out Waterford was in the 8 and their schedule was worse than Oak Hills and you didn't say a word about their schedule. So have you actually laid eyes on the Oaks?

Dragon's Lair
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragon's Lair »

Oaktown wrote:
Dragon's Lair wrote:
Oaktown wrote:
Have you actually looked at Huntington's schedule and record. They were beaten the game after Fairland by a team now 4-10. They have played nobody. Two of their wins were by a 1 win team and 2 win team. Talk about a garbage schedule. Honestly their best win is Ironton. I hope Huntington isn't Fairland's claim to fame.
I see you are getting your information from maxpreps. Huntington did not lose to Wayne, that is a misprint. The only other loss they have is to Capital. So we can use that win or Huntington Prep's "B" team where two of their "A" team kids dropped down and played, or we could use Chaminade-Julienne, or Athens, or even Garaway. All of which is better than anyone on the Oaks schedule. Eastern Pike is a pretty good win but they are a D4 team that you only beat by 4 points.

Don't be confused, Im not taking anything away from Fairlands accomplishments. Chaminade-Julienne and Garaway are good wins. I'm less impressed with Athens than everyone else on Preps. I've watched them play and I think they are a very good team, but also very beatable (as proven by a 7-5 record). I'm sure Huntington is a good team, but based on the schedules of the teams they have beaten they appear average at best in their division (not top tier) as mentioned above. (This opinion is based the same as yours on the Oaks)

I'm just curious, have you even watched Oak Hill play this year or are you basing everything you know about them on a schedule? Everyone on here talks about the eye test and how important that is for Pfloyds rankings. Obviously Pfloyd liked what he saw or they wouldn't be in the Elite 8. And I want to point out Waterford was in the 8 and their schedule was worse than Oak Hills and you didn't say a word about their schedule. So have you actually laid eyes on the Oaks?
I have not seen the Oaks in person this year. I was at the sectional final last year when fairland had them down 16 in the 3rd quarter and then the oaks made a nice run back into it before they lost by 5. The Oaks have not given up a lot of points this year with Burg scoring the most on them at 50. It is hard to gage just how good Oak Hill actually is because of the weak schedule they are playing. I can't see them being much better than last year other then the three good guards being a year stronger and more mature. Losing the 6'5 post player to graduation had to hurt them. Like I said I don't blame Oak Hill for having to play Northwest, Portsmouth West, Lucasville Valley, and Wellston. You have to play them just like Fairland must play Rock Hill, Chesapeake,and Coal Grove who are all down this year. If you guys want to schedule Rock Hill, Coal Grove, Meigs, Symmes Valley and Green in your non-conference schedule thats's fine, it makes for a good seeding draw I'm sure but my only problem is don't try and question pfloyd's rankings about where they are after doing it. It's not fair for them to be ahead of teams with 1,2, or 3 losses that are scheduling up and putting their records on the line by trying to make their players better.This is an opinion based message board and for all its worth, that is mine. I figure Fairland will get the #1 seed and Oak Hill will get the #2 seed which is what should happen. If so the two teams may get a chance to meet in the regional semis and all of this talk will mean nothing. But before that there is a lot of basketball yet to play! Good luck to the Oaks and stay injury free.

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Dragon's Lair wrote:
Oaktown wrote:
Dragon's Lair wrote: I see you are getting your information from maxpreps. Huntington did not lose to Wayne, that is a misprint. The only other loss they have is to Capital. So we can use that win or Huntington Prep's "B" team where two of their "A" team kids dropped down and played, or we could use Chaminade-Julienne, or Athens, or even Garaway. All of which is better than anyone on the Oaks schedule. Eastern Pike is a pretty good win but they are a D4 team that you only beat by 4 points.

I have not seen the Oaks in person this year. I was at the sectional final last year when fairland had them down 16 in the 3rd quarter and then the oaks made a nice run back into it before they lost by 5. The Oaks have not given up a lot of points this year with Burg scoring the most on them at 50. It is hard to gage just how good Oak Hill actually is because of the weak schedule they are playing. I can't see them being much better than last year other then the three good guards being a year stronger and more mature. Losing the 6'5 post player to graduation had to hurt them. Like I said I don't blame Oak Hill for having to play Northwest, Portsmouth West, Lucasville Valley, and Wellston. You have to play them just like Fairland must play Rock Hill, Chesapeake,and Coal Grove who are all down this year. If you guys want to schedule Rock Hill, Coal Grove, Meigs, Symmes Valley and Green in your non-conference schedule thats's fine, it makes for a good seeding draw I'm sure but my only problem is don't try and question pfloyd's rankings about where they are after doing it. It's not fair for them to be ahead of teams with 1,2, or 3 losses that are scheduling up and putting their records on the line by trying to make their players better.This is an opinion based message board and for all its worth, that is mine. I figure Fairland will get the #1 seed and Oak Hill will get the #2 seed which is what should happen. If so the two teams may get a chance to meet in the regional semis and all of this talk will mean nothing. But before that there is a lot of basketball yet to play! Good luck to the Oaks and stay injury free.

I won't disagree with the scheduling or Pfloyds rankings. I have never once said I think the Oaks should jump to a #1 or #2 spot. I'm completely fine with his top 6 based on the the quality wins and scheduling. I just argued earlier in the season that they were a top #8 team. Obviously I watched them play week in and week out and it took a little longer for others to buy in based on that schedule. I will be fine either way on seeding. The Oaks would love the #1 seed obviously, but I'm sure they will be very happy with a #2. Good luck to the Dragon's as well and hopefully your big guy will get healthy and make it back by tournament time!

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

Halftime show for Fairland-Oak Hill at the Convo. Dragons Lair vs. Oaktown in the octagon with Lou calling the fight

"Alright everyone you know what time it is! Its Boxing 30!!!!!"

TriStateFan44
Waterboy

Post by TriStateFan44 »

Does anyone have any more information on teams other than Fairland or Oak Hill? What are the projected seeds at this point during the season?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The 3, 4, 5 and 6 should really be interesting. Minford, Ironton, South Point and Alexander all fighting for spots. How it shakes out - and who ends up playing who - is anyone's guess.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Sources are a blend of pfloyd's rankings and Max preps.

Fairland 13-1
Oak Hill 16-0
Ironton 8-5
Wheelersburg 6-4
Minford 8-5
South Point 7-5
Nelsonville York 8-6
Alexander 7-7
Coal Grove 6-7
River Valley 6-10
Chesapeake 3-9
Wellston 3-10
Crooksville 3-13
Rock Hill 2-9

How do you see the seeding going? Minford and Wheelersburg have another meeting, and I'm sure some of the OVC, TVC teams do as well.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Records can be deceiving. Alexander has played a brutal schedule up to this point.

12/2 at Federal Hocking 56-12 W
12/6 Marietta 57-49 L ... (D2 Pfloyd #13)
12/9 Wellston 39-30 W
12/13 at Meigs 53-50 L (D2 Pfloyd #18)
12/17 Trimble 50-31 W (Trimble 9-5)
12/20 at Athens 39-26 L (D2 Pfloyd #12)
12/23 at Warren 52-33 L (D2 Pfloyd #4)
12/28 at Oak Hill 58-39 L (D3 Pfloyd # 7)
1/3 at Minford 49-46 L (Minford 8-5)
1/10 River Valley 68-38 W
1/13 at Nelsonville 45-39 W (NY 8-6)
1/14 at Valley 61-25 W
1/17 Jackson 57-48 L (D2 8-9)
1/20 Vinton County 73-71 W (D2 Pfloyd #2)

D2 opponents in bold

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

ovcfan12 wrote:Fairland has a win over Huntington high who is top team in AAA in West Virginia. Also has a win over Chaminade-Julienne. It will be interesting to see if Oak hill gets the one seed over fairland even though they have a cake schedule.
Capital is the top ranked team in AAA in West Virginia per the Herald Dispatch.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

93Bulldog wrote:Records can be deceiving. Alexander has played a brutal schedule up to this point.

12/2 at Federal Hocking 56-12 W
12/6 Marietta 57-49 L ... (D2 Pfloyd #13)
12/9 Wellston 39-30 W
12/13 at Meigs 53-50 L (D2 Pfloyd #18)
12/17 Trimble 50-31 W (Trimble 9-5)
12/20 at Athens 39-26 L (D2 Pfloyd #12)
12/23 at Warren 52-33 L (D2 Pfloyd #4)
12/28 at Oak Hill 58-39 L (D3 Pfloyd # 7)
1/3 at Minford 49-46 L (Minford 8-5)
1/10 River Valley 68-38 W
1/13 at Nelsonville 45-39 W (NY 8-6)
1/14 at Valley 61-25 W
1/17 Jackson 57-48 L (D2 8-9)
1/20 Vinton County 73-71 W (D2 Pfloyd #2)

D2 opponents in bold
I agree Alexander has played a brutal schedule with most of their losses coming against D2 schools. However, before last week, our best win was against Nelsonville York. We have to win more games to be considered a top four seed. I think most schools will not want to play us early as we will bring a team that is tournament ready with the schedule we have played so far. We may get the screws put to us because of our record, but this Alexander team will be a tough out for someone.

Good Luck to everyone the rest of the season.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

ovcfan12 wrote:Fairland has a win over Huntington high who is top team in AAA in West Virginia. Also has a win over Chaminade-Julienne. It will be interesting to see if Oak hill gets the one seed over fairland even though they have a cake schedule.
This weeks poll in WV'

Class AAA

1. University (8) 12-0 96 2
2. Capital (2) 8-3 83 1
3. Morgantown 10-2 77 7
4. George Washington 10-2 65 5
5. Musselman 10-1 62 3
6. Hedgesville 13-1 47 8
7. Huntington 6-2 40 4
8. Parkersburg 8-3 35 9
9. Martinsburg 8-4 17 6
10. Woodrow Wilson 7-3 15 NR

Others receiving votes: Greenbrier East 8, South Charleston 5.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

south point is 8-5

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

My prediction for tournament seeding
1. Fairland
2. oak hill
3.Wheelersburg
4. South point
5.Alexander
6. ironton
7. Minford
8.Nelsonville York
9.Coal grove
10. River Valley
11. wellston
12. Chesapeake
13. Crooksville
14.Rock Hill

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fairland smashed Garaway who is lead by 6-8 Joel Honingford. Garaway just beat previously state ranked Berlin Hiland.Honingford is a Michigan football recruit.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Jackson sectional has traditionally been stronger than the Waverly sectional, and this year is no exception. Below is a list of teams that advanced the farthest in the tournament from each sectional the last 7 years.......(J) Jackson, (W) Waverly

2010: Chesapeake (J).......state semifinals
2011: Portsmouth (J)........state semifinals
2012: Portsmouth (J)........state runnerup
2013: Ironton (J)............state semifinals
2014: Valley (W)..............regional finals
2015: Portsmouth (W)........regional finals
2016: Lynchburg Clay (W)...state semifinals

The Jackson sectional had an impressive run of 4 straight years sending a team to the state tournament, while Lynchburg Clay is the only team to advance to the state out of Waverly. The Waverly sectional the last 3 years has produced the farthest advancing team in the D3 tournament.

I believe Fairland has the best chance of anyone reaching the Final 4; I have seen Oak Hill, and the Oaks are good, good enough to reach the regionals, but I just don't think they have enough offense to beat the Dragons in a regional matchup. It would be very difficult for the Oaks to slow down the Dragons with FHS's pressing and running style. Not saying it can't be done, but it would be very difficult, even for a great coach like Coach Persin. Fairland has 5-6 players who are all capable of scoring double figures, and when (hopefully) Collin Van Horn comes back, the 6th man on the Dragons who is now a starter (I believe it is Detrick Cunningham) will come off the bench and provide instant offense.

I have seen Lynchburg Clay play (against Eastern Pike at the Dave Young Classic) and although the Mustangs aren't as strong as last year, don't count them out as a possible regional team. Eric McLaughlin and Joe Giordano are a good one/two punch, but they will have to get more from their supporting cast to make regionals. They most likely will get one of the top 3 seeds at Waverly, and will not be an easy out in the districts.

As far as my Trojans, how we shoot will greatly determine our tournament run. Being a jump shooting team, it's impossible to predict how we will shoot on any particular night. When we are on, we are good enough to beat a lot of teams, though Fairland would be without doubt the toughest to pull the upset. If we are having an off night, an early exit from Waverly is very possible.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

My prediction is:
1. Fairland
2. Oak Hill
3.Wheelersburg
4. South point
5. Minford
6. Alexander
7. Ironton