Warren 69 Athens 51 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Warren 69 Athens 51 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 69
Athens 51 a final ...

I made my 2nd trek in less than a week to Warren Local High School to watch the Big Bad Blue ... the Warriors took on the Athens Bulldogs who were coming off of a major Sectional seeding setback to New Lexington Tuesday night while Coach Maddox's squad came in 2-0 on the Week that IS getting "W's" on Tuesday vs Parkersburg, then a SEOAL league win @ Jackson Friday night ...

... an interesting game plan by the Bulldogs staff - looked like AHS looked to control the tempo, slow walked the ball up court the whole game ... control the tempo, force the Warriors to beat them from the perimeter by playing zone ... IF all things worked as planned Athens would be in a tight game going into the 4th period with a chance to get the "W" at the WarriorDome in the closing minutes ... for the first half - things ran has planned! Athens kept the game close - neither team started quickly - as the teams combined for a total of 15 points in the first quarter (8 Warren/7 Athens) ... Dalton Cozart hit the lone trey ... Griffin Lutz was 2/4 from the FT line ... Justin Hynes off the block for a 2 pointer ... the Warriors countered with their Big 3 each picking up a fg - Josh Huffman/Chase Weihl/Kyler Dennis with support off the bench from Bishop Ford ... Warren 8 Athens 7 after 1 qtr. ... Quarter #2 at least had both teams getting some offense rolling as the BBB took the lead for good with a 7-4 run to start the quarter making it 15-11 Warriors at 3:49 in the 2nd ... Warren had balanced scoring in the second led by Kyler Dennis/Josh Huffman's 5 pts each in the quarter ... for Athens they continued to slow down the pace of the game ... the Bulldogs got another triple from Cozart with inside help from Robert Dickelman (4 pts) and Justin Hynes (2 pts) ... of note Griffin Lutz was held without a fg in the first half as he picked up 2 more FT's to total 4 points in the half ... Warren 22 Athens 18 at intermission ... from the Cheap Seats at the WarriorDome we were treated to both teams opening it up from beyond the arc - as the teams combined for 7 triples in the 3rd (5 for the Warriors/2 on the Athens side) ... Justin Hynes & Robert Dickelman put up 8 in the paint vs Warren's Josh Huffman/Chase Weihl 2 pts in the quarter ... Warren however extended it's lead from 4 to 7 points as the 3rd quarter ended led by perimeter sharpshooters Bryce Gandee (3 treys) and Kyler Dennis (2 treys) ... Warren 43 Athens 36 after three ... as the 4th quarter began the tempo was turned up a notch as the Bulldogs turned to a full court press in hopes of turning the Warriors over - Warren committed "0" turnovers in the quarter ... the only thing that slowed the BBB down was the 2 technical fouls called on Warren following a play when a Warren player was taken down by 2 Athens players ... Warren owned the 4th - as Kyler Dennis was the trailer in the Warrior press-O picking up 12 points in the 4th ... Chase Weihl added 9 including a backbreaking triple from the top of the key ... Josh Huffman added 4 and Trace Congleton 1 in the quarter ... Athens was led in the 4th by senior Nick Lutz scoring all 7 of his points on the night in the 4th period ... Griffin Lutz was 0'fer the night from the perimeter missing 2 attempted triples in the 4th ... Warren 69 Athens 51 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring ...Dalton Cozart 13, Justin Hynes 10, Nick Lutz 7, Logan Maxfield 6, Robert Dickelman 6, Griffin Lutz 6, Austin Koska 3
3 Pointers .. . 6/16 ... Dalton Cozart 3, Nick Lutz 1, Logan Maxfield 1, Austin Koska 1
FT's ... 7/12
TOs ... 8
PntP ... 22
Points in Transition ... 0

... Not sure where the team I saw at Chesapeake vs Fairland went for Athens ... although vs Fairland Athens was playing a more uptempo game with a Fairland team that was more than happy to get out and run as well ... tonight vs Warren Athens wanted to slow it down - and did that - Warren was more than happy to play the half court game for 4 quarters ... some positives for Athens that I took away from this one was the play of Justin Hynes in the paint - he is willing to body up with the opposing post defenders and still able to get to the rim / he has shown me the ability to knockdown the 12 footer as well - he's coming along as a bb player ... Dalton Cozart had a solid offensive game with 13 points and 3 triples ... early on when I saw him he was just an afterthought in the offense , tonight he was a key ingredient for the Bulldogs ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Kyler Dennis 27, Josh Huffman 13, Chase Weihl 13, Bryce Gandee 11, Cameron Bartmess 2, Bishop Ford 2, Trace Congelton 1
3 Pointers ... 7/14 ... Bryce Gandee 3, Kyler Dennis 3, Chase Weihl 1
FTs ... 8/9
TOs ... 6
PntP ... 28
Points in Transition .. 4

... Coach Maddox was willing to LET Athens play the slow tempo game ... when you have the ability to score inside the paint with BIGS like Chase Weihl /Josh Huffman combined with the good ball movement to allow Gandee/Dennis & Weihl to get looks from the perimeter - Athens was outmanned & outgunned ... on a side note we didn't see the Warriors show pressure anywhere other than their normal man-to-man defense (keeping something in the tank for the D2 sectional in Logan maybe ?) ... Athens was never really in this game ... Coach Maddox never used a timeout , in the timeouts that Athens called Coach Maddox - even when the Bulldogs dropped a couple of buckets in a row - was totally collected as he knew the BBB was getting good looks all night - some just weren't falling in the paint early in the game ... my Logan Purple & White come calling to the Warrior Dome next Friday !!! looks like I have the pleasure of seeing the BBB 3 times in 2 weeks ... good stuff right there ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Re: Warren 69 Athens 51 a final ...

Post by sportsmom20 »

Thanks PFloyd, however Nathan Cozart graduated 16 plus years ago :lol: interesting though cause his cousin Noah plays for Warren and Dalton for us, but both have a lot of his "game". Not sure I agree with "never in the game"

GO Dogs! #20 biggest fan and pretty fond of the Coach too :lol:
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

sportsmom20 wrote:Thanks PFloyd, however Nathan Cozart graduated 16 plus years ago :lol: interesting though cause his cousin Noah plays for Warren and Dalton for us, but both have a lot of his "game". Not sure I agree with "never in the game"
Well, it was 12:38 am and Nathan Cozart was one of the star players back when pfloyd started doing these elite 8's back on the huddle.

Nathan Cozart did not graduate 16 years ago....closer to 10

sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsmom20 »

Ironman92 wrote:
sportsmom20 wrote:Thanks PFloyd, however Nathan Cozart graduated 16 plus years ago :lol: interesting though cause his cousin Noah plays for Warren and Dalton for us, but both have a lot of his "game". Not sure I agree with "never in the game"
Well, it was 12:38 am and Nathan Cozart was one of the star players back when pfloyd started doing these elite 8's back on the huddle.

Apologies in the date ironman was busy chasing babies around the gym when we were watching him,and years run together. More than aware of who he was and what type of player he was ....... just thought it was a cute "slip" by pfloyd. clearly my humor didn't come off well in the post.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

sportsmom20 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

Apologies in the date ironman was busy chasing babies around the gym when we were watching him,and years run together. More than aware of who he was and what type of player he was ....... just thought it was a cute "slip" by pfloyd. clearly my humor didn't come off well in the post.

... Sorry about that slip up sportsmom20 !!! LOL - my age shows again LOL ... when I'm typing all of this at a late hour "who knows what comes through my 3 finger typing to the screen" ... I will change that mistake immediately ... DALTON played an excellent game last night by the way ... I've seen Athens 3-4 times this year at various points - early vs VC then vs Fairland and last night vs Warren - my observation have been that DALTON has made major steps from "my" game one to last night night ... he looks much more confident in "being the coaches son" - THAT is not a knock at all ... vs VC at Athens early in the season it looked to me anyway that he was out there for sure but he and maybe the coaching staff was sure how to use him - do we allow him to do what he does well - shoot the perimeter shot/use his quickness & ballhandling skills to get to the rim ? - being lost in limbo he didn't appear to HAVE a spot in the offense ... when I watched the Fairland game he WAS a part of the offense, he looked more settled, the coaching staff had defined what they wanted and NEEDED for him to do - he looked more comfortable out there ,not worried about being the "coache's son" ... last night vs Warren is the BEST he as looked to me, the MOST comfortable he has looked to me ... it looked to me that DALTON & the coaching staff had come to grips with ALLOWING DALTON to BE Dalton on the court - which by the way is he being a very good basketball player imo ...

... I WILL see the Bulldogs again a few times this season and the post season - if "I" see Cozart on the back a "proud mom's shirt" I WILL introduce myself AND apologize for my mistake in person ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

sportsmom20 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

My tone wasn't intended that way either. Funny you corrected him for getting confused and then you did the same :) ....I've had my share

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

sportsmom20 ! - I apparently had the entire Cozart family tree in my game rundown - I DID get Dalton's name right in the napkin stats just not in the "off the cuff" typing and thinking part of the rundown LOL ... Nathan Cozart was a an excellent basketball player as well - nothing wrong with being mixed up with Nathan LOL ... Athens last night could have used BOTH Dalton AND Nathan on the court !!!

... as far as "never in the game" ... I know the score was within 4 - 6 for the biggest part of the first half and a portion of the 3rd - I just never got the feeling that Athens was going to be able to "get over the hump" - take the lead and hold it vs Warren ...Warren seemed to be doing whatever they needed to do to keep the lead - there was no panic when Athens would knock down a couple straight buckets to Warren's none ... Warren was in control with more up it's sleeve had Athens been able to take the lead imo ..."never in the game" was probably a bad choice of words on my part ... G. Lutz wasn't taking over the game, not getting to the rim and when he did the bigs for Warren are so active they can make up for whoever was guarding Lutz at the time being beat by blocking shots in help defense ... I also thought that once GL started shooting the perimeter shot - the game was over due to the perimeter shot NOT being what Lutz does well ... I would have felt MORE comfortable with GL driving and kicking back out to Dalton C. , Nick Lutz/ Logan Maxfield those kids are the perimeter scorers for the Bulldogs imo ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Lutz has a great perimeter game, jumpers from 15ft around the elbow. He just didnt have it last night.

Btw, Griff hit two treys vs new lex, floyd. :)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:Lutz has a great perimeter game, jumpers from 15ft around the elbow. He just didnt have it last night.

Btw, Griff hit two treys vs new lex, floyd. :)

LOL ... he doesn't take very many of them - three pointers ... the 2 at New Lex might have been the first ones he has shot this season ? ... I agree about his midrange shooting - he is USUALLY very good as he elevates off the dribble ... his 3 point shot is NOT even the same as his normal midrange jumper - seems to be more of a set shot that he "aims" instead of just elevating and letting it go ... hey he's a 1000 point club member - he's an outstanding player ...

sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsmom20 »

Thanks pfloyd, I really just wore the shirt for Bandit, had to dig around to find one with it on there.lol I remember Dalton and Noah were very little when we use to watch Nate play. They both grew up in basketball stands and thought Nate hung the moon. When he went to college they both demanded to have a jersey from his school with his number on it, too cute. If I am not mistaken Noah wears Nate's number and Dalton wears his dad's. I think sometimes we miss that on these boards as adults. All of these players and coaches are someone's kid, uncle, brother, sister, or the person that another person thinks " hung the moon"

Good luck in your trips to The James, mr.sportsmom is six years clean bill of health. I don't think until you have someone you love go through the "c" word or go through it yourself, do you see how valuable life can be and how little some of the rest of this stuff is as well.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

sportsmom20 wrote:Thanks pfloyd, I really just wore the shirt for Bandit, had to dig around to find one with it on there.lol I remember Dalton and Noah were very little when we use to watch Nate play. They both grew up in basketball stands and thought Nate hung the moon. When he went to college they both demanded to have a jersey from his school with his number on it, too cute. If I am not mistaken Noah wears Nate's number and Dalton wears his dad's. I think sometimes we miss that on these boards as adults. All of these players and coaches are someone's kid, uncle, brother, sister, or the person that another person thinks " hung the moon"

Good luck in your trips to The James, mr.sportsmom is six years clean bill of health. I don't think until you have someone you love go through the "c" word or go through it yourself, do you see how valuable life can be and how little some of the rest of this stuff is as well.

... I totally agree ... the "c" word puts life in perspective, changes priorities and makes a person "take off" those tunnel vision glasses ... you realize that life IS about "the people" ALL people with whom you come across in your daily life interactions ... I have made one of my priorities to make sure that I make every moment - big or small - a memory - something that allows those I contact to remember me long after I am gone ...

... and you are right again - every one of these teams are made up of players - young kids - who are playing a game to the best of their abilities - for THAT reason alone they should ALL be applauded ... IF I should ever post something that puts the "kids" / teams/ schools in a negative light I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT - it would be totally unintentional on my part BUT as we all know the "printed" word is open to interpretation beyond our control ... I say this to YOU because from YOUR posts I KNOW you WILL say something , YOU won't stew about it - YOU WILL TELL ME ! LOL ... a good thing imo ... it will be a pleasure to shake your hand - as YOU have the 2nd & 3rd most difficult jobs in hs sports - as "Mr. sportsmom's better half" AND "#20's mom "... I'm sure you handle both roles well ...

BlueDuck
Riding the Bench

Post by BlueDuck »

Dang. I totally missed this score over the weekend. What did Coach Maddox cook up to contain Lutz?

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

BlueDuck wrote:Dang. I totally missed this score over the weekend. What did Coach Maddox cook up to contain Lutz?
He coached to the ability of his players. Really good coaches have a way of doing that well, and winning tough games. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

BlueDuck wrote:Dang. I totally missed this score over the weekend. What did Coach Maddox cook up to contain Lutz?
Game plan was he had a 6'7 and a 6'5 kid. Warren defensively is pretty good in the paint. Idk how warren will match up with LE or Vinton

Return to “Boys Basketball”