Post by Crab's Brother »

bbjunky81 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:
Wah wah wah, how about this.

*MAJORITY of teams have zoned Jackson.

Now fact check that! :P
Not sure that is correct either....close to 50/50 I'd say
Not really sure why I'm even going into this, but you're wrong.

South Webster has zoned twice
Valley twice
Northwest zoned
Minford zoned
Ironton zoned whole game
South Point was a combination of zone and man
Not sure on Waverly, haven't heard
West Union zoned
West zoned

Oak Hill and Jackson are literally the only 2 I can think of that manned Wheelersburg
You said Jackson. Not Wheelersburg.

hoops37
Waterboy

Re: 1/24 Wheelersburg @ South Webster

Post by hoops37 »

Another very solid win for Coach Ater and crew. Coleman was a beast.

Webster tried to get out of zone and go man and that didn't work either. Seemed like Webster focused so much on playing zone that they had no pressure in man to man the possessions they did go to it in the 2nd quarter.

Maybe teams shouldn't be zoning Wheelersburg and just doing what they do best as I think Webster is a much better man to man defensive team.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

bbjunky81 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:Every team on the schedule has zoned Burg this year and coaches feared the game where they hit from the outside. Well it came! If my math is correct the Burg scored 32 points in the second quarter. Wow! I think 7 3's total in that quarter alone. When they shoot like that with the Coleman kid inside and Holden running the point, they're as good as any team around.

Not a bad loss for the Jeeps, they played hard but couldn't get rolling in the second half. Big game coming Friday!
That is false. Jackson played man to man.
Wah wah wah, how about this.

*MAJORITY of teams have zoned Burg.

Now fact check that! :P
I did say Jackson, whoops. I meant Burg and I'd think he knew what I meant since that was our original discussion.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

hoops37 wrote:Another very solid win for Coach Ater and crew. Coleman was a beast.

Webster tried to get out of zone and go man and that didn't work either. Seemed like Webster focused so much on playing zone that they had no pressure in man to man the possessions they did go to it in the 2nd quarter.

Maybe teams shouldn't be zoning Wheelersburg and just doing what they do best as I think Webster is a much better man to man defensive team.

I get what you're saying, and do agree for the most part. Matchup wise though, I don't think South Webster matches up well with Wheelersburg whatsoever. Burg is taller/stronger/faster at nearly all positions, and have the ability to "go big" which South Webster doesn't. Typically when teams struggle to 'match up' they are forced to play zone.

Burg is a very talented team with the best big kid in the league, the best wing in the league, and the best athletes in the league. If they're shooting well from the outside to add to that, they're pretty stinking good and can beat anyone on their schedule.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Huge 2nd quarters from Bivens and Salyers (each hit three 3-pointers in quarter) buried Webster. Kaden Coleman was the best player on the court and ended up with like 25 points. Webster had cut lead to 7pts toward end of 3rd quarter and came up empty on a few possessions before Coleman buried a corner 3-pointer to end the 3rd and push Burg lead back to 10pts. Webster never really challenged in the 4th. I thought Jeeps settled for too many jumpers in second half instead of attacking the rim. Webster competed well, but the Jeeps' lack of depth starting to be noticeable against real teams.

As for Burg, when they hit shots, they are capable of playing with anybody around here. Coleman may be the most underrated player in the area as Holden gets all the pub for Burg (and for good reason). But I thought Burg looked like a Regional-caliber team last night.*

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Good to read the last few posts as they truly helped gain an understanding about the game. I have always enjoyed watching Ater coach. I remember his first season at Webster and being on the road at Waverly and watching a 10 point lead melt to 1 in the fourth quarter. My son threw a pass off of the leg of a Waverly player and the entire gym knew it was Webster ball and the refs looked at each other and pointed Waverly Ball. My son almost came out of his skin and looked over at Coach Ater who simply and calmly told him to calm down. The whole gym was going crazy and Waverly was riding a tidal wave of emotion and Coach was as calm as ever. We won that game along with a ton of other close ones that year to go 18-4 after back to back 3-18, 4-18 seasons. Coach Ater was a huge part of that. I will always be indebted to him for coming in between my Sons sophomore and Junior year and turning that flaming mess around. The kids needed him at that moment. This is Coach Ater's fourth year at Burg after 4 great years at Webster. He has never failed to make it to the Convo. Webster didn't go the 2 years before him and went all 4 years with him and had 2 district championships. Wheelersburg didn't go the 2 years before he arrived and have gone all 3 years with 1 district championship. I think he does a good job. Just wanted to say so after reading some people pile on a little.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote:Good to read the last few posts as they truly helped gain an understanding about the game. I have always enjoyed watching Ater coach. I remember his first season at Webster and being on the road at Waverly and watching a 10 point lead melt to 1 in the fourth quarter. My son threw a pass off of the leg of a Waverly player and the entire gym knew it was Webster ball and the refs looked at each other and pointed Waverly Ball. My son almost came out of his skin and looked over at Coach Ater who simply and calmly told him to calm down. The whole gym was going crazy and Waverly was riding a tidal wave of emotion and Coach was as calm as ever. We won that game along with a ton of other close ones that year to go 18-4 after back to back 3-18, 4-18 seasons. Coach Ater was a huge part of that. I will always be indebted to him for coming in between my Sons sophomore and Junior year and turning that flaming mess around. The kids needed him at that moment. This is Coach Ater's fourth year at Burg after 4 great years at Webster. He has never failed to make it to the Convo. Webster didn't go the 2 years before him and went all 4 years with him and had 2 district championships. Wheelersburg didn't go the 2 years before he arrived and have gone all 3 years with 1 district championship. I think he does a good job. Just wanted to say so after reading some people pile on a little.

While you make good points, you're neglecting the fact that he came when a.) Webster had a lot of talent with more talent coming, and b.) left the program in shambles. While he did have some success here with very talented teams, keep in mind he left when the talent pool dried up and in his last year only 13 kids IN THE ENTIRE HIGH SCHOOL were in the program.

Was the program bad when he inherited it? Sure, they hadn't won games and the coach before was a baffoon. But it was common knowledge there was tons of talent coming (C Scott, W Loop, A Loop, Dyer, Cook, Goddard, Salisbury, Sutton) etc. All very talented kids! And he did was what the coach before him did - got out when the rebuild began.

I think the biggest argument people have is - you judge a coach on years they don't have talent (or not much talent). Look at Oak Hill this year -- sure, yes they have talent. But they are not the most talented team in the league, they are not the most athletic team in the league, and they're not the biggest team in the league. They play 6 kids, 2 of which wouldn't start for any other of the top 5 teams in the league. They're undefeated in the SOC as well as overall. That's a sign of a great coach.

I will say this Burg team is incredibly talented / deep / athletic and were the odds on favorite to win the league -- we should all be able to agree on that. They have the talent to make a very good tournament run, they simply have to gel together.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I hesitated because I knew it would bring discord. I just don't understand the reason for it. Why 4 years later keep bringing it up? He did a good job when he was there. Most coaches would jump at the chance for the Burg job -- especially if they don't have ties to Webster.

I think the current coaching staff does fine too --- no shot taken at those guys. No reason to do so. I root for Webster and always will.

I truly think he's a good coach. And, I don't understand the need to continue to deflect any credit from him while saying things like "left the program in shambles". He was there 4 years and left for an opportunity. Look back at the history of Webster basketball and most coaches stayed 3-5 years. It's full of good coaches who stayed that length of time. Johnson, Roberts, Bowman, Kreischer, Ater .... its the way it is. Perhaps Coach Fenton will stay much longer and build a great program again. That would be great. But, I wouldn't degrade him 4 years from now if he left. And if I Did then I would hope you would defend him.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote:I hesitated because I knew it would bring discord. I just don't understand the reason for it. Why 4 years later keep bringing it up? He did a good job when he was there. Most coaches would jump at the chance for the Burg job -- especially if they don't have ties to Webster.

I think the current coaching staff does fine too --- no shot taken at those guys. No reason to do so. I root for Webster and always will.

I truly think he's a good coach. And, I don't understand the need to continue to deflect any credit from him while saying things like "left the program in shambles". He was there 4 years and left for an opportunity. Look back at the history of Webster basketball and most coaches stayed 3-5 years. It's full of good coaches who stayed that length of time. Johnson, Roberts, Bowman, Kreischer, Ater .... its the way it is. Perhaps Coach Fenton will stay much longer and build a great program again. That would be great. But, I wouldn't degrade him 4 years from now if he left. And if I Did then I would hope you would defend him.

You bring up very good points and present them in an articulate manner and I appreciate that.

I think you and I agree on many more things that I've outlined -- sometimes my ability to say those things on forums isn't as good as I think it is.. :P ......... Thank you for the civil discussion, it seems hard to come by these days.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

It's good to hear that Bivens started shooting the ball more. He has a great jumper but ever since the first Valley game he hasn't shot the ball more than 5 times a game.

I don't understand that! Hopefully the coaches wouldn't have told him to quit shooting and if they did, shame on them.

They need an outside shooter like that down the stretch. If Bivens or any other player can hit from the outside it would open up the lane more for Coleman and you are correct in that he is a beast. Imagine if he was about 6-8. He works his tail off under the basket which results in some offensive rebounds and easy put backs. He is fun to watch.

Good luck Burg the rest of the season. Like I said before, Burg is not a team anyone wants to see in their bracket come tourney time. This team has the potential to make a long tourney run.

Return to “Boys Basketball”