VC @ Alexander 1/20/17

SkiPopLover
Riding the Bench

Re: VC @ Alexander 1/20/17

Post by SkiPopLover »

Wow.. those boys from Albany could not miss. Anytime VC made a shot, one of the Alexander boys made a tough shot right back. If there was only one more minute, VC might've pulled away. But too little, too late. Too many missed free throws & petty turnovers. Props to the Spartans.

As a lot of fans want to complain about the refs, I honestly believe this was a fair officiated game for both sides. They got some calls, we got some calls. That's basketball. My only question is, is it a technical foul when fans storm the court with time on the clock? (2 seconds were left on the clock when the boy from Alexander hit the dagger.) I'm very curious about this rule.

Another note from this game is that VC fans are nuts when it comes to our varsity basketball team!

We'll see you in the village of McArthur soon enough, Spartans. We'll get some payback. Stay healthy until then.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

SkiPopLover wrote:Wow.. those boys from Albany could not miss. Anytime VC made a shot, one of the Alexander boys made a tough shot right back. If there was only one more minute, VC might've pulled away. But too little, too late. Too many missed free throws & petty turnovers. Props to the Spartans.

As a lot of fans want to complain about the refs, I honestly believe this was a fair officiated game for both sides. They got some calls, we got some calls. That's basketball. My only question is, is it a technical foul when fans storm the court with time on the clock? (2 seconds were left on the clock when the boy from Alexander hit the dagger.) I'm very curious about this rule.

Another note from this game is that VC fans are nuts when it comes to our varsity basketball team!

We'll see you in the village of McArthur soon enough, Spartans. We'll get some payback. Stay healthy until then.
Somewhat shocked-then again Meigs was the 1st to put a "Chink" in VCs Armor-so I been "smelling" an Upset. Just wasn't sure who was going to do it 1st...Alex wasn't my 1st choice-Honestly was looking for Meigs to do it-As far as your side note about the Fans-Definitely agree there-Last year when Athens upset them at VC-It was intense-And I even witnessed a Coach throw a Water Bottle at A Ref when the game was over after VC lost-That is Crazy!!!

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

SkiPopLover wrote:Wow.. those boys from Albany could not miss. Anytime VC made a shot, one of the Alexander boys made a tough shot right back. If there was only one more minute, VC might've pulled away. But too little, too late. Too many missed free throws & petty turnovers. Props to the Spartans.

To be fair, the clock said .6 left, when they rushed. I noticed it in th3 video. I think they think changed it, to 2 seconds. BUT Alexander still probably fortunate the refs didn't asses a T, as I do believe they could have.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Congratulations to Alex....Who stepped up for them tonight???....

SkiPopLover
Riding the Bench

Post by SkiPopLover »

I knew going in it was going to be a tough one. Seems like it's always an intense game when we play there. Gonna be a tough one at Meigs & home against Athens. VC can still win the TVC outright, but we're gonna have to play well every TVC game from here on. We'll be fine. Hopefully no water bottles are thrown during any games! lol

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Does anyone have a box score?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Alexander 73, Vinton County 71

Vinton Co. 11 25 10 25 — 71

Alexander 16 12 23 22 — 73

VINTON COUNTY 71 (12-1, 5-1 TVC-Ohio)

Jake Speakman 3 0-0 6, Derick Jones 4 3-6 12, Nevan Yates 2 0-0 4, Tristan Bartoe 8 6-10 23, Caleb Montgomery 0 0-0 0, Eli Griffith 1 0-0 2, Naylan Yates 9 0-0 24, Bryce Damron 0 0-0 0; TOTALS 27 9-16 71; 3-point goals — Eight (Naylan Yates 6, Jones 1, Bartoe 1).

ALEXANDER 73 (7-7, 4-2 TVC-Ohio)

Luke Kish 3 4-6 10, Michael Norris 4 0-1 8, Chace Harris 9 1-3 19, Ryan Davidson 9 0-0 23, Wyatt Radford 1 0-0 3, Stone Markins-Irwin 4 2-3 10, Genesis Williams 0 0-0 0, Jacob Coley 0 0-0 0; TOTALS 30 7-13 73; 3-point goals — Six (Davidson 5, Radford 1).

TEAM STATISTICS/INDIVIDUAL LEADERS

Field goals — Vinton County 27-51 (.529), Alexander 30-45 (.667); 3-point goals — Vinton County 8-18 (.444), Alexander 6-12 (.500); Free throws — Vinton County 9-16 (.563), Alexander 7-13 (.538); Rebounds — Vinton County 22 (Jones 7), Alexander 30 (Markins-Irwin 10); Assists — Vinton County 11 (Bartoe 4), Alexander 11 (Kish 4); Steals — Vinton County 9 (Naylan Yates 2), Alexander 5; Blocked shots — Vinton County 1, Alexander 2; Turnovers — Vinton County 13, Alexander 19; Team fouls — Vinton County 16, Alexander 17. JV Score — Vinton County 35, Alexander 31.

Email at jarkley@athensmessenger.com; follow on Twitter @JasonAmessenger

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Wow!!!...The numbers don't lie-Bartoe and Yates get their Usual for VC-Alex's Davidson must have caught Fire-And Sophomore Markins gets 10 pts and 10 Rebounds-I'm curious what Defense Alex Employed??-Did they Press any at All??-Would love to see the Film on this One

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

IF you told me a teams opponent shot almost 70% from the floor, 50% from behind the arc, out rebounded your team by 8 boards - YOUR team should have lost by 20+ points ... Vinton County lost on a last second shot to Alexander who DID put up those numbers ... VC lost by 2 points THAT is how good Vinton County IS ... I get it, "a loss is a loss" and it IS but teams better look at those numbers put up by Alexander (by the way those kind of numbers happen MAYBE - if all of the stars are aligned AND if Halley's Comet is visible in the sky) AND look at the fact that the Vikings were able to counter ... with THAT said it WAS an outstanding game by the Spartans ! I don't want to take anything away from their effort and "W" vs VC ... great stuff! this IS HS hoops !!! ... where games AREN'T played on paper or by comparing rankings !!! when you are in the Elite 8 everyone brings their "A" game vs you and sometimes even their "A+" games & lucky rabbit's foot ! ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote:IF you told me a teams opponent shot almost 70% from the floor, 50% from behind the arc, out rebounded your team by 8 boards - YOUR team should have lost by 20+ points ... Vinton County lost on a last second shot to Alexander who DID put up those numbers ... VC lost by 2 points THAT is how good Vinton County IS ... I get it, "a loss is a loss" and it IS but teams better look at those numbers put up by Alexander (by the way those kind of numbers happen MAYBE - if all of the stars are aligned AND if Halley's Comet is visible in the sky) AND look at the fact that the Vikings were able to counter ... with THAT said it WAS an outstanding game by the Spartans ! I don't want to take anything away from their effort and "W" vs VC ... great stuff! this IS HS hoops !!! ... where games AREN'T played on paper or by comparing rankings !!! when you are in the Elite 8 everyone brings their "A" game vs you and sometimes even their "A+" games & lucky rabbit's foot ! ...

You can't omit that Alexander had 6 more turnovers though

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Both teams played good. Alexander just played better

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Fairland's loss at D1 Hilliard Bradley is a better loss than Vinton County's loss at Alexander. The Dragons deserve to move up to #1 in the Elite 8. Fairland has played a better schedule overall than the Vikings.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

VisionQuest wrote:Congratulations to Alex....Who stepped up for them tonight???....
From what I understand, Ryan Davidson, #13, averages 4 ppg and about 12 minutes per game, but against the Vikings he played 20 plus minutes and shot 9/9, including 5/5 from the arc, to match Bartoe and a team high 23 points. That may be who stepped up.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

hawkeyepierce wrote:
VisionQuest wrote:Congratulations to Alex....Who stepped up for them tonight???....
From what I understand, Ryan Davidson, #13, averages 4 ppg and about 12 minutes per game, but against the Vikings he played 20 plus minutes and shot 9/9, including 5/5 from the arc, to match Bartoe and a team high 23 points. That may be who stepped up.
It is about time the coaching staff realize what a special talent this young man is.

Go Alex.

Return to “Boys Basketball”