Warren vs Athens

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Warren vs Athens

Post by WarriorBlue »

It's been more than a decade since the Warriors have lost to Athens and I don't think this will be the year that changes.
Coach Maddox has a veteran group with size, shooters and defense.
Coach Cozart has done a terrific job at the helm of the Bulldogs but better Bulldog teams with high profile players have failed in this same endeavor. The veteran leadership of Warren will prevail in this one!!

Go Big Bad Blue!
Last edited by WarriorBlue on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Warren vs Athens

Post by bbjunky81 »

My prediction:

Warren 66
Athens 52

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I'd say Warren plus 10 but Athens always has the possibility turning this into a track meet

Nuke LaLoosh
Riding the Bench

Post by Nuke LaLoosh »

I believe Athens is better equipped to match up with Warren this year. Don't care what the scores vs. common opponents were. It's all about match-ups and who plays better that day. If Athens can play more disciplined defense they will be in this game.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

I think with Warren coming off an away game at Jackson on Friday night and then turning around for this game will be tough. Athens will be pumped for a victory and if Warren is not on its "A" game it will be a battle. I think this will be the closest game in recent years.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

I believe it's all Big Blue, but the law of averages will eventually even out somewhere. Saw on another thread that an athens kid quit, so how does that effect the team? May make them better, more focused, but with Lutz you've always got a chance.

And Jackson will push us on Friday night, so going to need to grind on back to back nights to be successful. Also do not like that Coach does not have as much time to prepare for Lutz, as the Jackson game is still a league game.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Nuke LaLoosh wrote:I believe Athens is better equipped to match up with Warren this year. Don't care what the scores vs. common opponents were. It's all about match-ups and who plays better that day. If Athens can play more disciplined defense they will be in this game.
The matchup does not favor Athens. The Dogs struggled with new lex front court that consisted of three players no bigger than 6'1. The warriors with huffman & Wiehl are a big time challange!

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

I like Warren in this one.

My prediciton:

If Warren wins at least one poster from Athens will either blame the refs or state that Athens was not at "full strength." :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ground Buck wrote:I like Warren in this one.

My prediciton:

If Warren wins at least one poster from Athens will either blame the refs or state that Athens was not at "full strength." :mrgreen:
Lol hey now, Athens was without Maxfield & Ball last night vs New Lex. Just thought i'd throw that out there.

:)

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

93Bulldog wrote:
Ground Buck wrote:I like Warren in this one.

My prediciton:

Lol hey now, Athens was without Maxfield & Ball last night vs New Lex. Just thought i'd throw that out there.

:)
LOL :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Athens doesn't have the bodies inside to muscle up against Warren. Warriors by double digits

ROLL PEAKE
tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

To me this is now a Must Win for Athens. They have lost 2 in a row and now Warren.

After Warren they have River Valley, then Vinton County then Meigs.

They will beat River Valley, but if they fall to Warren and Vinton County. That would be 4 losses in their last 5 games going into Meigs...I think the Meigs and Athens matchups will be a big factor in the D2 standings.

But that is a big IF. Im gonna say Athens upsets Warren...then barlowbandit will come on here and say how bad the refs were...lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I would like to know the last time Athens won at The Warrior Dome. It has to be during the Bush administration or before ... lol

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote:I would like to know the last time Athens won at The Warrior Dome. It has to be during the Bush administration or before ... lol
2003-2004

Athens 75 Warren 66
Athens 61 Warren 50

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

13 years ... good grief.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Depends on which Athens team shows up IMO. In their impressive win against Logan Elm-Athens had a nice and balanced scoring attack-Same in the OT Loss to Fairland. Warren will Key on Lutz-Last year I think they shut him down in Athens. Someone correct me if I am wrong or provide Stats as I am curious to see how he did. Dickleman and Hynes can matchup with Wiehl and Huffman. Sounds like Warren has some Guards who can Shoot the Lights out....Who brings their A-Game??-Athens needs to hit the 3-Ball when they get the Open Looks-Going to be a tall task to pound the ball Inside against The shot blocker Wiehl and Big Bodied Huffman-it's going to be a "Dogfight" in The Paint...Hoping for a Competive and Injury Free game....

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Saturdays game can be heard live on 970wath or 97.1FM or streamed at 979wath.com.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote:13 years ... good grief.
That Athens team was Aaron Forte. Too bad he went to Florida. Athens has had some very good point guards with handles. Kamheem Maxwell, Nate Perez, Aaron Forte, De'von Sharp, and Griffin Lutz

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider6309 wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:13 years ... good grief.
That Athens team was Aaron Forte. Too bad he went to Florida. Athens has had some very good point guards with handles. Kamheem Maxwell, Nate Perez, Aaron Forte, De'von Sharp, and Griffin Lutz
Yep, and all of em chasing 93Dog! I'd take Griff to the hole every time. :mrgreen:

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Difference in Warren and Fairland is defense. Overall team defense is the name of the game. Fairland beats you because they are athletic and like to score, but they have traditionally been lax on defense.

Return to “Boys Basketball”