Athens @ New Lexington 1/17

VisionQuest
All State

Athens @ New Lexington 1/17

Post by VisionQuest »

Thoughts???...Most of us know about Athens-New Lex is pretty much an unknown-I've heard they only lost to 10-1 Morgan by 1-But then Again-Morgan is pretty much an unknown as well-At least as Far as Info on this Site....Both D2 Schools from what I understand-With New Lex to be Seeded in The D2 Logan Sectional-Not sure where Morgan will play as far as Sectional-Athens will also play Morgan on 2/14 In a Non-Conference game

Pol pot
SE

Re: Athens @ New Lexington 1/17

Post by Pol pot »

Any score and stat updates on this one? Thanks in advance.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

New Lexington 71
Athens 62

A total shocker

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

danicalifornia wrote:New Lexington 71
Athens 62

A total shocker
Did not expect this. Wow !!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I figured New Lex was better considering some of their scores, but still thought Athens would win by double figures. And I think it's official now that every team at Logan for the Sectional is dangerous.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

New Lex had some deceiving players-a couple looked more like Linebackers-They pounded the paint-and also have a couple of guards who were Dandy ball handlers....New Lex was kind of an an unknown-and Dare I say anything about the Refs-Cause thebarlowbandit will be on Me-Lol...but Athens ended up having 3 players foul out before the game was over...Griffin Lutz, Justin Hynes and Dickelman...Seemed like Athens was trying to play catch up the whole game...My take on this and Athens going forward is this...Griffin Lutz is going to need some players step up and hit some shots-but with that being Said he needs to continue to take it to the Rim-but if 3 or 4 guys are in his Face he needs to kick it to his Wings-Sometimes he just tries to do too Much-Players are wide open on the Wing and he is Forcing the Shot-For this reason I like Bartoe over him as far as this Aspect alone-Well that and the 3 Ball

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Not having Logan Maxfield to help underneath hurt! New Lex absolutely owned the boards and underneath the basket. I would seriously consider bringing up the big freshmen in case of emergency (like tonight) when Athens plays teams with strong front courts.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote:Not having Logan Maxfield to help underneath hurt! New Lex absolutely owned the boards and underneath the basket. I would seriously consider bringing up the big freshmen in case of emergency (like tonight) when Athens plays teams with strong front courts.
Dickelman, Hynes and Even The Chubb kid all pushing 6'4" we had the Size Advantage-New Lex just wanted it more-Sorry 93Bulldog...Maxfield is a Hustler but don't even see him making a Difference tonight in my opinion-No-one wanted to play tonight...I'm an Athens fan-But I will call a Spade a Spade

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dickleman, Hines and Chubb are 6'3 at best. Hines will be a good post player as he gets older, just a young pup at the moment. Defending the post has been an issue all year. Athens leading rebounder is its point guard. Either they have to (a) box out better or (b) box out better. You can try (C) and give Butcher some minutes, but I'm not sure how much that would help. I say go with option (D) box out better. lol

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote:Dickleman, Hines and Chubb are 6'3 at best. Hines will be a good post player as he gets older, just a young pup at the moment. Defending the post has been an issue all year. Athens leading rebounder is its point guard. Either they have to (a) box out better or (b) box out better. You can try (C) and give Butcher some minutes, but I'm not sure how much that would help. I say go with option (D) box out better. lol
Are we talking With Shoes or Without shoes???-Lol...Anyway-they have the Size advantage over most teams in this Area-And yes they need to Rebound better as you would definitely see from your Vantage Point as a Broadcaster-Butcher definitely a Great-"up and coming player"-He Needs to work on some things yet-mainly the Mental aspect-but that will come-Not downgrading him-but he is not ready-Just my opinion...Athens has what they need on the Floor and on the Bench...Honestly I just don't think Athens took New Lex seriously tonight-When that happens These teams can Sneak up on you....

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I agree, Butcher is probably not ready. But in all honesty, Athens is a relatively small team, imo. They may have a few guys around 6'3 - but that is considered small in D2. And they aren't big, just tall. They got pushed around like rag dolls tonight versus three 6'0 offensive lineman. Only one player has recorded 10 boards in a game all year - and that was Lutz - and I think he's only done it once, maybe twice. Fairfield Union with Woodside, VC with Damron/Griffith/Yates and Warren with Huffman/Wiehl present major problems for Athens, which is why tonight's game was kind of important. Getting the four or five seed - and avoiding those three teams in the tournament - is a no brainer.

With that being said. I've watched a few Howie Caldwell teams with no height what so ever outrebound teams on a nightly basis. Fundamentals and hustle can be as important as height & size. Athens needs to take a long look at itself and decide if they want to add those two attributes to their resume. If they do, then they can still be a 'player' in the tournament.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... wow I.DID.NOT.SEE.THIS.ONE.COMING! ... after watching Athens vs Fairland Saturday in Chesapeake - no way THIS happens ... New Lex only lost to Morgan by 1 point though ... my Ouija Board is so not ready for predicting ANYTHING having to do with the D2 Sectional in Logan ... now I HAVE TO go see this New Lex squad !!! when do the Panthers get together with Sheridan ?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote:I agree, Butcher is probably not ready. But in all honesty, Athens is a relatively small team, imo. They may have a few guys around 6'3 - but that is considered small in D2. And they aren't big, just tall. They got pushed around like rag dolls tonight versus three 6'0 offensive lineman. Only one player has recorded 10 boards in a game all year - and that was Lutz - and I think he's only done it once, maybe twice. Fairfield Union with Woodside, VC with Damron/Griffith/Yates and Warren with Huffman/Wiehl present major problems for Athens, which is why tonight's game was kind of important. Getting the four or five seed - and avoiding those three teams in the tournament - is a no brainer.

With that being said. I've watched a few Howie Caldwell teams with no height what so ever outrebound teams on a nightly basis. Fundamentals and hustle can be as important as height & size. Athens needs to take a long look at itself and decide if they want to add those two attributes to their resume. If they do, then they can still be a 'player' in the tournament.
You make some great points....Athens has had Flashes of Brilliance-I.E. Logan Elm and Fairland...And a couple where they didn't seem to "show up"-I.E. Parkersburg and VC-And then tonight kind of a Combo of the 2-Hopefully-They will find a consistency as to what works best for them by Tournament time

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

NEW LEX

12/6/16 Tuesday Home LOST 63-45 VS. MAYSVILLE
12/9/16 Friday Away WON 56-43 AT WEST MUSKINGUM
12/13/16 Tuesday Away LOST 55-48 AT SHERIDAN
12/16/16 Friday Home LOST 41-37 VS. TRI-VALLEY
12/20/16 Tuesday Home LOST 59-41 VS. JOHN GLENN
12/22/16 Thursday Away WON 45-39 AT BERNE UNION
12/27/16 Tuesday Away WON 51-44 AT ZANE TRACE
12/29/16 Thursday Home WON 71-37 VS MILLER
1/3/17 Tuesday Away LOST 60-59 AT MORGAN
1/7/17 Saturday Away LOST 74-48 AT FAIRFIELD UNION
1/10/17 Tuesday Home WON 57-43 VS. CROOKSVILLE
1/13/17 Friday Away LOST 55-52 AT PHILO
1/17/17 Tuesday Home WON 71-62 VS ATHENS
1/20/17 Friday Away 7:15 PM AT MAYSVILLE
1/24/17 Tuesday Home 7:15 PM VS. SHERIDAN
1/27/17 Friday Away 7:30 PM @ TRI-VALLEY
1/28/17 Saturday Away 7:30 PM at LAKEWOOD
1/31/17 Tuesday Away 7:30 PM @ JOHN GLENN
2/3/17 Friday Home 7:15 PM VS. PHILO
2/7/17 Tuesday Home 7:15 PM VS. MORGAN
2/14/17 Tuesday Home 7:15 PM VS. WEST MUSKINGUM
2/17/17 Friday Away 7:15 PM AT CROOKSVILLE

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

One thing I would like to add...As I try to point out the Positives in these Games more so than the Negatives-However; pointing out the negatives I can only hope is Regarded as Constructive Criticism...Tonight I really liked the play of Dalton Cozart-if I saw a real positive it was his play when Athens was down by double digits-you could see a Sheer determination and Will Power in that young man-He drained back to back 3s and then took a ball full court and made the lay-up with 2 defenders on him...he single handedly gave Athens some life and provided a Spark to get them within 5 I believe in the 4th Quarter...Unfortunately it seemed New Lex always had an answer when Athens got close...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

VisionQuest wrote:One thing I would like to add...As I try to point out the Positives in these Games more so than the Negatives-However; pointing out the negatives I can only hope is Regarded as Constructive Criticism...Tonight I really liked the play of Dalton Cozart-if I saw a real positive it was his play when Athens was down by double digits-you could see a Sheer determination and Will Power in that young man-He drained back to back 3s and then took a ball full court and made the lay-up with 2 defenders on him...he single handedly gave Athens some life and provided a Spark to get them within 5 I believe in the 4th Quarter...Unfortunately it seemed New Lex always had an answer when Athens got close...
Cozart played well down the stretch, Nick Lutz showed a little life early on ... BUT ... in quarters 2 and 3 (an entire half of basketball) a total of 8 points were scored by players other than Griff. 4 points in the 2nd, 4 points in the 3rd. During that span New Lex outscored Athens 33-22. That was the difference in the game. The 'Dogs were leading 18-15 after the first and the fourth was even.

sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsmom20 »

New Lex out scored 33-22, how many of those were foul shots? They were outstanding from the line.

GO Dogs! #20 biggest fan and pretty fond of the Coach too :lol:
michigan
Waterboy

Post by michigan »

Might Two writers really be one person Probably....Word is the jury is out on this season. Here we go the naming of players... the dreaded hopes for recognition.

sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsmom20 »

Michigan? Confused at what you are getting at?

GO Dogs! #20 biggest fan and pretty fond of the Coach too :lol:
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

sportsmom20 wrote:New Lex out scored 33-22, how many of those were foul shots? They were outstanding from the line.

I'd say quit fouling.

Return to “Boys Basketball”