14 Eastern Pike (10-2)
18 Portsmouth East (7-2)
19 Portsmouth Clay (10-2)
20 Western Pike (5-5)
22 South Webster (6-4)
23 Peebles (8-3)
30 Portsmouth Notre Dame (8-3)

... lost to :

(3-9) Cedarville ... they've lost 8 in a row now ...
(9-6) Paint Valley (D3)
(9-3) Lynchburg Clay (D3)

... the wins are not - in my mind at least - not on par with the other D4's above them ... Fairfield Leesburg W's :

East Clinton (2-9)
Fayetteville (2-10)
McClain (4-9)
Manchester (5-8)
Clermont (3-8)
Georgetown (3-10)
North Adams (8-6)

Only 1 win over a team with a winning record - North Adams ... BUT I am keeping an eye on them at (8-3) ...

Wasn't arguing their ranking...just stating I don't believe they are the 8th best D4 team right now.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #7

Post by pfloyd »

Gotcha ! ... I was thinking that you thought they are better than the other D4's above them ... my misunderstanding ... I have not seen Fairfield play so I'm only making the comparison with the other's ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote:Gotcha ! ... I was thinking that you thought they are better than the other D4's above them ... my misunderstanding ... I have not seen Fairfield play so I'm only making the comparison with the other's ...

It's a tough call for sure and comparing games is tough.

Clay just beat Manchester by 6....North Adams destroyed Manchester and Fairfield destroyed North Adams...but then North Adams barely beat Portsmouth West and barely beat Valley...but then Valley has played some SOC 2 teams very tight.

All about matchups and mind sets for middle to upper teenage kids.

You do good work. D4 tourney will be tough to predict!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Warren vs Athens game Saturday the 21st - is this part of an ALL DAY hoops day ... girls games & boys games all day or is this the "usual" boys freshmen/JV/Varsity ???

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... never mind - answered my own question , went the Warren Local Web page - Boys Only on Saturday beginning with the freshmen at 5pm ... looked like the girls are on the road at Minford Saturday ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... going to get my fill of the Warriors this week - heading to the Warrior Dome Tuesday to see Warren vs Parkersburg , then making a return trip Saturday to see Athens @ Warren ... should be some excellent basketball ! ... I need to stock up on Twizzlers !

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Ironman92 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:Gotcha ! ... I was thinking that you thought they are better than the other D4's above them ... my misunderstanding ... I have not seen Fairfield play so I'm only making the comparison with the other's ...

Clay just beat Manchester by 6....North Adams destroyed Manchester and Fairfield destroyed North Adams...but then North Adams barely beat Portsmouth West and barely beat Valley...but then Valley has played some SOC 2 teams very tight.

So where do you see them Ironman, the teams above them for the most part have some good wins. I ask everybody about Fairfield and everybody says the same thing they haven't beat anybody yet. The teams above them are all pretty good teams, just hard to judge a team most people haven't seen and with no standout wins.

GO EAGLES
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:... going to get my fill of the Warriors this week - heading to the Warrior Dome Tuesday to see Warren vs Parkersburg , then making a return trip Saturday to see Athens @ Warren ... should be some excellent basketball ! ... I need to stock up on Twizzlers !

The Warrior Dome - pfloyd's home away from home.

:mrgreen:

Tomorrow nights game should be a dandy ... hopefully Saturday's is too.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

brown22 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

So where do you see them Ironman, the teams above them for the most part have some good wins. I ask everybody about Fairfield and everybody says the same thing they haven't beat anybody yet. The teams above them are all pretty good teams, just hard to judge a team most people haven't seen and with no standout wins.
Not sure. I can't get a great grasp on who is better between the SOC 1 teams. Gun to my head I'm taking Eastern Pike----Clay/ND/Western/East confuse me...need to see more of their results against one another. South Webster plays different level of teams...hard to compare. Peebles is a bit easier to compare but appear to be improving as well.----Fairfield is the toughest to figure out...but are definitely trending up as a team. Not a doubt in my mind nearly every team mentioned playing any of the others in a best of 3....the vast majority of the matchups go to the 3rd game.

In no way am I arguing Fairfield's ranking....just saying right now there aren't 7 SE teams better than them.

As the season goes things will keep sorting out.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Fairfield Union Vs Bloom Carroll, round 1, is at the end of this week! Big time game for FU!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

certainly not a whole lot separating most of these squads,I believe Pfloyd gives a whole ton of credit to the staffs as he figures things out as well.......Trojans-Fighting Tigers time, Lets Go Trojans

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

First chance I've had to get a look at Oak Hill - and wow I was impressed. They move the ball so well, and the Carroll kid is a lights out shooter. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a player hit that many shots with a hand right in his face.

I've now seen every SOC 2 team and I'm very confident they're gonna win the SOC 2, perhaps even by 2 or 3 games ahead. I will say with the utmost confidence, they definitely deserve a spot in the Top 8.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

bbjunky81 wrote:First chance I've had to get a look at Oak Hill - and wow I was impressed. They move the ball so well, and the Carroll kid is a lights out shooter. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a player hit that many shots with a hand right in his face.

I've now seen every SOC 2 team and I'm very confident they're gonna win the SOC 2, perhaps even by 2 or 3 games ahead. I will say with the utmost confidence, they definitely deserve a spot in the Top 8.
I agree, 1st game of the year I seen them at Eastern, best game of the year so far. Carroll kid made big shots with defenders all over him. Their defense didn't give us an open shot all night. After the game I said that team is gonna be good and let's see how many other teams hold them to 44 points lol.

GO EAGLES
Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Ironman92 wrote:

All about matchups and mind sets for middle to upper
Not a fan on score comparison. However since you chose Clay , you failed to mention that Clay without 2 starters defeated Paint Valley by 5 and Fairfield was defeated by Paint Valley I believe by 5 points . I see obviously your choice of games to support your statement but do not ignore the other games. I believe Fairfield has a nice team. Should be exciting tournament ball.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

bbjunky81 wrote:First chance I've had to get a look at Oak Hill - and wow I was impressed. They move the ball so well, and the Carroll kid is a lights out shooter. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a player hit that many shots with a hand right in his face.

Let me add to that, I've seen Waterford twice now as well and Oak Hill beats Waterford 9 out of 10 times. Waterford more deep, sure, but Oak Hill is more solid / more conditioned / more consistent.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

My Portsmouth Trojans are a quiet 7-3 after a 55-46 win at Ironton. Coach Collins and his staff are doing a tremendous job with this group of Trojans.

jottings1933
Riding the Bench

Post by jottings1933 »

Trojan Dave...Could u send me the Trojans 2016-17 season scores. I have them 6-3 overall and 3-3 in OVL play. I must have missed a makeup game or something. Thanks, Jottings. Hope weather is good Friday. I sure miss the trip to PHS and the Ribber.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Portsmouth 47 Waterford 44
Coal Grove 51 Portsmouth 46
Portsmouth 72 Portsmouth West 60
Lost to Hilliard Fla
Portsmouth 65 Edgewood 53
Won game three in Fla
Fairland 67 Portsmouth 48
Portsmouth 81 Rock Hill 41
Portsmouth 55 Ironton 46

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, LetsGoPSU, for the scores......the three that you didn't have are: Hilliard, FL 65, Portsmouth 60, Portsmouth 70, McKeel Academy 58, and Portsmouth 56, South Point 46

Jottings1993: The Trojans are 7-3(3-2 OVC) coming into tonight's game with Gallia Academy. For any future scores, go to http://www.trojanhoops.org and there is a blog with the 2016-2017 scores. It is on the first page of the website.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Anxious to see how much VC drops.. Rivalry or not, Alexander is the 30th ranked team for a reason. I watched Oak Hill absolutely obliterate Alexander (18-3 at end of 1st Quarter), so that's definitely a good boost for Oak Hill.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”