Being A Coaches Kid

VisionQuest
All State

Being A Coaches Kid

Post by VisionQuest »

I'm wanting to hear thoughts about the Pressures-The Benefits...Hopefully-Some stories and insights from Some players and even Coaches...This is an Interesting Dynamic to me-I'm thinking there has to be A Lot of Pressure on the Player to Perform game in and out-to Prove themselves more so than Other players-"Under A MICROSCOPE" If you will-Not only on the Player but the Coach as Well...Just wanting to get a New Discussion rolling Today

george
Freshman Team

Re: Being A Coaches Kid

Post by george »

I'm not a coach But I have seen coaches [not all] coach their son and daughter and they do let them get away with more stuff such as bad defense, bad shoots, turnovers both force and unforce ,and just stupid plays. If another player did the same thing the coach would take them out and sit them down.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

I would guess most coaches (good ones ) are harder on their own kids which is unfair . Those kids cannot check the game at the door but hear either good or bad at the Dinner table . A lot of Coaches kids are Gym rats so is there a greater chance of burn out ? Good topic would like to hear from coaches on this . Past and present .

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

[quote= Those kids cannot check the game at the door but hear either good or bad at the Dinner table.

just like most parents. I have heard parents walking out of a gym/field asking why didn't you do this instead that [all ages ]

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

george wrote:I'm not a coach But I have seen coaches [not all] coach their son and daughter and they do let them get away with more stuff such as bad defense, bad shoots, turnovers both force and unforce ,and just stupid plays. If another player did the same thing the coach would take them out and sit them down.
This is when the Coach should Separate his Heart from his Mind...If the other players see this and there is any type of "favoritism" and those other players are being "pulled" for Sloppy play or just having a Bad Night and the Coaches kid isn't-Morale could go down-I believe it can definitely have a Detrimental effect on The TEAM... Just my Opinion

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Chieftain Fan wrote:I would guess most coaches (good ones ) are harder on their own kids which is unfair . Those kids cannot check the game at the door but hear either good or bad at the Dinner table . A lot of Coaches kids are Gym rats so is there a greater chance of burn out ? Good topic would like to hear from coaches on this . Past and present .
Sometimes I wonder if these Kids "lose" their Love of the Game...I've really observed some Coaches Kids over the Years-Sometimes feel sorry for them-They don't seem to smile as
Much as the other kids-Almost like it's all
Business and just another day at the
Office....

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

VisionQuest wrote:
Chieftain Fan wrote:I would guess most coaches (good ones ) are harder on their own kids which is unfair . Those kids cannot check the game at the door but hear either good or bad at the Dinner table . A lot of Coaches kids are Gym rats so is there a greater chance of burn out ? Good topic would like to hear from coaches on this . Past and present .
Sometimes I wonder if these Kids "lose" their Love of the Game...I've really observed some Coaches Kids over the Years-Sometimes feel sorry for them-They don't seem to smile or have the Same Fun as
as the other kids-Almost like it's all
Business and just another day at the
Office....

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

A big aspect of this is what type of expectations does the father/coach have for his kids, and is the coach truly able to evaluate his kid and what he brings to the table against others? I know of one who not only coaches his sons school team but also runs AAU program. Some in that community believe there's a disconnect in the relationship and certain things are given not earned.

Tough situation always,
Last edited by thebarlowbandit on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

And please excuse my Grammar...Should be Coach's not Coaches...I think-Lol

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

VisionQuest wrote:And please excuse my Grammar...Should be Coach's not Coaches...I think-Lol

When you talk about more then one coach its coaches But in the subject of this topic it should be coach's

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

My dad was an assistant football coach, varsity basketball coach and assistant track coach when I played.

Trust me, I didn't get any favoritism, nor did I get ripped at home. Once I left the locker room, I was just his kid again! Never discussed anything at home, except for nutrition, hydrating etc. We would watch film, but it was more for just scouting.

I now have my own kids, and while I don't coach at the high school level, I try my best to just start the conversation with, "I just love watching you play." Sometimes my kids will start talking, or just be quiet! Either way is fine with me!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

george wrote:[quote= Those kids cannot check the game at the door but hear either good or bad at the Dinner table.

just like most parents. I have heard parents walking out of a gym/field asking why didn't you do this instead that [all ages ]

I saw that first hand with one of Wheelersburg's best ever players. A lot on here won't remember him but his name was Brad Walke. He graduated in 1983 from Burg. His Dad was Jerry Walke who taught and coached at Shawnee State in the early 80's.

Everyone knows that back then, Burg and Portsmouth had no love with each other in any sport. The basketball game was always a highly intense and contested game. Burg beat them at Burg by 20 and Brad had scored 36 points that night to lead all scorers. After the game I was standing talking to Brad when his Dad walked up to him ( he rarely came to his games) and Brad thanked him for coming and said something along the line of that he had scored 36 on Portsmouth and all his dad had to say was that he should of scored 40. He told him he missed a wide open layup and a 10 foot jumper. That was probably the end of the relationship between Brad and his Dad and that was sad. Brad wanted so much to please him and even when he had a great game, still no praise.

That is why I hate the parents that all they do is talk about the negative stuff. How about a little praise now and then???

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

king kong wrote:My dad was an assistant football coach, varsity basketball coach and assistant track coach when I played.

Trust me, I didn't get any favoritism, nor did I get ripped at home. Once I left the locker room, I was just his kid again! Never discussed anything at home, except for nutrition, hydrating etc. We would watch film, but it was more for just scouting.

I now have my own kids, and while I don't coach at the high school level, I try my best to just start the conversation with, "I just love watching you play." Sometimes my kids will start talking, or just be quiet! Either way is fine with me!

That is the way it should be and I applaud you for what you are doing with your kids and how your dad treated you.

I don't understand what the parents or coaches think they are going to achieve by constantly yelling at the kids, especially the coaches. Most of these kids, especially around here will probably never play organized basketball again so they are playing for there own enjoyment, not to get yelled out for something petty that happened in a HS game. Let the kids play and have fun but teach them while they are out on the court or on the bench. Yelling at most kids that age solves nothing and just makes the kid feel like he is not good enough to play so they quit and don't play on the HS team anymore. What good does that do?

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Coached my own kid and actually kicked my kid out of practice.Boy did I hear about that . After thinking about it I was wrong about it cause players had done more and not got kicked out . Maybe I was trying to send a message .Regretted later.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If a coach gets on his son too much he will get the rolling pin when he comes in the front door.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsmom20 »

The Athens Baseball coach recently posted this to twitter about his son when he announced the acceptance of an offer to play in college:
"There have been a few times over the past few years when I have suppressed the desire to post about the individual accomplishments of my son, the main reason being that he is not only a son, but he's "the coaches son" I know that role, which he did not choose for himself, has always had the potential to put him in awkward position with his friends, just as it likewise has for me with my friends. There's nothing in the world like having the privilege to coach your own son. But there's nothing easy about it, either. When it's all said and done , I hope he cherishes these years as much as I have.

Additionally, he has proven that hard work and determination, and in some cases having to make tough decisions and sacrifices does indeed literally pay off. "

His post speaks to me and my family personally, and gives a very good answer to the question posed for this topic. As I am a very transparent person, it is pretty obvious who I am by my tag line. Many of our close friends coach their children, or have coached their children previously. It is a hard role, just as it being a parent in general is hard at time. Watching your children being evaluated every time they hit the court/field not because of who they are as people or players, but because of who their parents are is tough. Being the parent coach that makes a decision that is best for the team always, but knowing in your heart how much your child wants it, is heart breaking sometimes. I have cut my own daughter from a team before, its tough. Our children know that they are watched at all times, and unfortunately there are some people in this world who cheer for their failures just because of who they are. That is apparent by some of the post on this site alone.

GO Dogs! #20 biggest fan and pretty fond of the Coach too :lol:
VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

sportsmom20 wrote:The Athens Baseball coach recently posted this to twitter about his son when he announced the acceptance of an offer to play in college:
"There have been a few times over the past few years when I have suppressed the desire to post about the individual accomplishments of my son, the main reason being that he is not only a son, but he's "the coaches son" I know that role, which he did not choose for himself, has always had the potential to put him in awkward position with his friends, just as it likewise has for me with my friends. There's nothing in the world like having the privilege to coach your own son. But there's nothing easy about it, either. When it's all said and done , I hope he cherishes these years as much as I have.

Additionally, he has proven that hard work and determination, and in some cases having to make tough decisions and sacrifices does indeed literally pay off. "

His post speaks to me and my family personally, and gives a very good answer to the question posed for this topic. As I am a very transparent person, it is pretty obvious who I am by my tag line. Many of our close friends coach their children, or have coached their children previously. It is a hard role, just as it being a parent in general is hard at time. Watching your children being evaluated every time they hit the court/field not because of who they are as people or players, but because of who their parents are is tough. Being the parent coach that makes a decision that is best for the team always, but knowing in your heart how much your child wants it, is heart breaking sometimes. I have cut my own daughter from a team before, its tough. Our children know that they are watched at all times, and unfortunately there are some people in this world who cheer for their failures just because of who they are. That is apparent by some of the post on this site alone.
Thank you for your thoughts and insight...Many times in this world "assumptions" will be made-Even when people don't have all the information...What an "Imperfect and judgemental" world we live in

colsoh
Waterboy

Post by colsoh »

Heartfelt. Actually ego can get in the way. Probably no fans at least in SEO expect a coach's child do do any better than anyone else . In HS or MS etc most likely someone is coaching because they enjoy coaching and are part of the school system. Parents or fans that understand hs or ms sports are supportive of the teams and the players. Nelsonville, Trimble and Athens are prime examples. The same community supported the State Championship game teams as well as the teams that did not make it there. The parents that do not want a player to do well so that their child can play or get some recognition, well they uh are kind of odd anyway. Enjoy the process. It is wonderful to see those that are. Few make it to the next level of college ball....Then that is a business as the players themselves will tell you.....

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

colsoh wrote:Heartfelt. Actually ego can get in the way. Probably no fans at least in SEO expect a coach's child do do any better than anyone else . In HS or MS etc most likely someone is coaching because they enjoy coaching and are part of the school system. Parents or fans that understand hs or ms sports are supportive of the teams and the players. Nelsonville, Trimble and Athens are prime examples. The same community supported the State Championship game teams as well as the teams that did not make it there. The parents that do not want a player to do well so that their child can play or get some recognition, well they uh are kind of odd anyway. Enjoy the process. It is wonderful to see those that are. Few make it to the next level of college ball....Then that is a business as the players themselves will tell you.....
I will agree with most of this...It is very selfish if someone would want to see a Player do bad so their kid can get playing time....I personally "Love" to see the Kids get in that don't get to play as much as some others-cause they are a vital part of the TEAM...Awesome when they make a great play

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
king kong wrote:My dad was an assistant football coach, varsity basketball coach and assistant track coach when I played.

That is the way it should be and I applaud you for what you are doing with your kids and how your dad treated you.

I don't understand what the parents or coaches think they are going to achieve by constantly yelling at the kids, especially the coaches. Most of these kids, especially around here will probably never play organized basketball again so they are playing for there own enjoyment, not to get yelled out for something petty that happened in a HS game. Let the kids play and have fun but teach them while they are out on the court or on the bench. Yelling at most kids that age solves nothing and just makes the kid feel like he is not good enough to play so they quit and don't play on the HS team anymore. What good does that do?
Good point-"breaking a kid down to build him back up??"....Nope-Doesn't work-It isn't the Marines...Let these kids have fun-After all-It is just a Game

Return to “Boys Basketball”