4. Waverly 13-5
5. Gallia Academy 12-5
6.Jackson 9-11
7. Washington 7-11
8. Circleville 7-12
9. McClain 6-13
10. Hillsboro 4-16

Strength of schedule and head to heads will be huge for seeding
Last edited by whsball on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 33 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Southeastern D2 Sectional

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson is 7-7

Wins over: South Webster, Wheelersburg, Meigs, Wellston, River Valley, Northwest and Gallia Academy

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I hope and think that Chillicothe and Washington's SOS will be factored into their seeding. They should be somewhere in the 2-4 range and no lower than that, IMO. The top 4 should be MT, Chillicothe, Washington, and Unioto, with the order to be determined based on how they play against one another coming up.

Waverly is a tough matchup due to style of play, but have lost to the only "good" team that they have played, so I'm sure that will be factored in.

Circleville, Jackson, and McClain will be lower seeds that no one is going to be excited to see, as they can all do some things that will push whoever they play.

Gallia has excellent interior play and a 6'10 freshman, so they could be another interesting team to see come tournament time.

While the sectional isn't as strong as the Logan sectional, there will still be some really good games and whatever 4 teams advance to the Convo will have certainly earned their way there.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

Hopefully they have the rims at regulation height this year. It affected all the teams last year and kept the scores way down

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Respect your opinion Dani but completely disagree. Waverly scrimmaged Court House and Miami Trace and Played right with both. They are better than Unioto and maybe better than Chillicothe. If they have a much better record they should not be punished. The SVC is not a strong conference and yes Unioto plays a tough out of conference schedule but how many of those games have they won. This is not the Unioto of the last two years!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

You're right, they aren't. I'm also not even arguing for Unioto being the top seed, but they do have regular season matchups with Miami Trace, Washington, and Chillicothe coming up (I think Chillicothe is after the tournament draw though) and that's when they can try to prove themselves again, since they did drop 3 tough games and the SVC is really down. They also scrimmaged and "hung with" Upper Arlington (#9 in D1), Meadowbrook (getting votes in D2), Washington, and several other top notch schools, if we're going to talk about scrimmages, lol.

Waverly could be the best team in this sectional, but we should probably ask Ironman92, who saw both Unioto and Waverly's games against Jackson.

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

I have seen most of the teams play this season outside of Miami Trace, Hillsboro and Courthouse.
Waverly isn't better Unioto. I guess we need those two TEAMS to match up and play in the sectional.
That will then be settled on the court.
As for Chillicothe I watched them play Vinton County and by far the toughest test for the Vikings this year.
If they could get some depth they could be one of the two advancing out depending on seeding. just my opinion.
We all have those for sure.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Bring the Heat wrote:I have seen most of the teams play this season outside of Miami Trace, Hillsboro and Courthouse.
Waverly isn't better Unioto. I guess we need those two TEAMS to match up and play in the sectional.
That will then be settled on the court.
As for Chillicothe I watched them play Vinton County and by far the toughest test for the Vikings this year.
If they could get some depth they could be one of the two advancing out depending on seeding. just my opinion.
We all have those for sure.
Good news...4 teams advance this year instead of 2!

I was very impressed with Chillicothe's showing against VC.

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

I just meant from that particular sectional that still is only two isn't it.
10 teams and 4 advance out?

that is news to me. wow

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Chillicothe may very well be the best team. They are the one team I havenst seen play yet. Waverlys worst game they have played this year was against Jackson. They missed layups free throws and multiple wide open shots. And still won. I am just saying that I feel if Waverly ends up 19-3 or 18-4 they should be one of the top 4 seeds. Ahead of either Unioto or Court House. Dani your right uniotos schedule is back loaded. If they win 2 out of three vs MT Court House and Chillicothe and end up with as good or better record than wavelry they should be seeded higher. I am not sure they can beat MT or Chillicothe but they will have a chance to prove it on the court. I know this. The last two years no one wanted to see Unioto in the tournament and I don't feel that you need to avoid them this year in order to advance.

Ohio1234
JV Team

Post by Ohio1234 »

I have seen Chillicothe play 3 times this season and plan to go to the chilli vs Wilmington game tonight. I can honestly say with Chillicothe you don't know what you will get from week to week. They have the talent to win this sectional with Maughmer and Barnes but Roderick and Johnson are hit and miss both capable of giving you 10-15 points a night yet at times are no shows. And the bench is not very deep. They have consistently gotten better and outside of the turnovers against Vinton County played pretty well. Unioto isn't as good as they have been the past two years but are still talented, trace beat Chillicothe on a half court shot in overtime at the buzzer and court house is also inconsistent. This sectional is wide open in my opinion but Chillicothe by far plays the toughest schedule, Westerville south, Vinton county, pickerington central, upper Arlington, bloom Carroll, trace twice, Wilmington twice, courthouse twice. And closing the year against Unioto. If anyone will be battle tested for tourney time it will be Chillicothe.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Ohio 1234. No doubt about that. Chillicothe by far has the toughest schedule!

whsball
Freshman Team

Post by whsball »

Ironman92 wrote:Jackson is 7-7

Wins over: South Webster, Wheelersburg, Meigs, Wellston, River Valley, Northwest and Gallia Academy

Most of these D3?

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Bring the Heat wrote:I just meant from that particular sectional that still is only two isn't it.
10 teams and 4 advance out?

that is news to me. wow
No it will be 4 teams this year because 2 teams will get out of Athens to the region not 1 this year

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Even though the season is almost half over I think it is still way to early to be saying the best teams in this sectional are.. because as always you are going to have some teams that jell early and hit there season up and running.. there are teams that play hard early season schedules and teams that play hard early season schedules .. some teams homes and away games are not even spread out evenly over season.. time will tell but man the southeast is pretty deep in d-2 this year

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

And I am a blue devil fan and they are much improved. But right now I would have them as 7th seed or 8th seed.. I think they could finish there or they could finish as high as 4th or 5th seed..

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote:You're right, they aren't. I'm also not even arguing for Unioto being the top seed, but they do have regular season matchups with Miami Trace, Washington, and Chillicothe coming up (I think Chillicothe is after the tournament draw though) and that's when they can try to prove themselves again, since they did drop 3 tough games and the SVC is really down. They also scrimmaged and "hung with" Upper Arlington (#9 in D1), Meadowbrook (getting votes in D2), Washington, and several other top notch schools, if we're going to talk about scrimmages, lol.

Waverly could be the best team in this sectional, but we should probably ask Ironman92, who saw both Unioto and Waverly's games against Jackson.
Jackson is a team that can battle and bang and stay right with about any D2 team that isn't loaded with kids that basketball is their main sport or aren't elite athletically.

Jackson played at Waverly....did not play well and led by 3 with 32 seconds left. We're tied with 14 seconds left and had ball....threw ball away and found a way to lose. Pretty sour feeling.

Jackson played at home vs Unioto and simply had little no chance. They are better basketball players and were quicker with better athleticism. If we played them 10x...we lose 10x.

I doubt Jackson would stand much chance against Unioto, Chillicothe and Miami Trace.....I think we'd compete very well with Waverly and WCH. Jackson is pretty even with Gallia Academy and IMO a tiny bit ahead of Circleville and Greenfield but Greenfield did find a way to win at Jackson. I think if Jackson played Greenfield 10x they'd win 6 or 7.

Unioto/Chillicothe/Miami Trace

Waverly/Washington

Jackson/Gallia

Circleville/Greenfield

Hillsboro

I think each team could beat the group above on a given tournament day but also could lose to the group below

I feel they are in this order as of right now:

1. Chillicothe
2. Miami Trace
3. Unioto
4. Waverly
5. Washington
6. Jackson
7. Gallia
8. Circleville
9. Greenfield
10. Hillsboro

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

Basically win one game and you are off to the convo.
I remember when winning a sectional championship was a big deal.

One game and advance just doesn't seem right.
Just get it done then.
I guess now it is winning a district championship now that is a big deal.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

whsball wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:Jackson is 7-7

Most of these D3?
Yes sir. Gallia and Meigs are D2. Meigs is 7-4 and we went there and won by 17

Burg, RV, NW and Wellston are D3....Burg has a stud 6'4 we managed and are a good D3 team...the others have struggled.

South Webster is a good D4 team that year in and year out would handle Jackson for vast majority of the last 15 years.

Losses against D2 @ Vinton Co, Unioto, @Athens and @Waverly in last second. Lost a tough one to Greenfield. Lost at D3 Minford and a bad loss to D3 Southeastern allowing 1 kid to hit 7 3's

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Waverly goes down to Wheelersburg

Unioto beats Zane Trace by 14

Chillicothe continues to grow and beat Wilmngton

Jackson looked bad against a good Logan team (Logan beat Unioto by 10)

Gallia Academy got drilled by a great Fairland team

Hillsboro knocked off rival Greenfield 54-52

Return to “Boys Basketball”