Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4 - Christmas Edition ...

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
brown22
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4 - Christmas Edition ...

Post by brown22 »

I think Oak Hill may be a top 8 team 7-0 and held all opponents under 50 ppg . Defense smothers the ball and keeps the opponents offense from getting in a good rhythm and they have good shooters, best game I've seen this year was my Eagles play the Oaks. Could make a case for Eastern Pike or Waverly to move up higher both good teams, IMO Eastern is deeper with talent than Waverly and I think they will need to play each other in the "Classic" for me to get a grasp where both stand with the top teams.

GO EAGLES
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I'm sitting in the Land of the Oaks ! ... putting eyes on Coach Persin's 7-0 Oak Hill boys ... should be a good game between Oak Hill & Alexander ... game wrap up after 11pm ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

brown22 wrote:I think Oak Hill may be a top 8 team 7-0 and held all opponents under 50 ppg . Defense smothers the ball and keeps the opponents offense from getting in a good rhythm and they have good shooters, best game I've seen this year was my Eagles play the Oaks. Could make a case for Eastern Pike or Waverly to move up higher both good teams, IMO Eastern is deeper with talent than Waverly and I think they will need to play each other in the "Classic" for me to get a grasp where both stand with the top teams.

...brown22 ... I liked what I saw tonight from Oak Hill ... truly a Norm Persin coached TEAM ... 3 true scorers , all 3 perimeter, get to the rim players, one outstanding all around player in Landon Carroll ... EVERYONE plays defense, EVERYONE knows their roles, EVERYONE executes their role ... patience on offense, solid fundamentally at both ends ... the only flaw I see is the lack of size - a big to either guard a big or take the game over in the paint offensively ... a very very good TEAM in Oak Hill ...

... I'm looking forward to see 4 good teams in Waverly tonight! Eastern Pike for the 2nd time, Western Pike /Waverly and Piketon for the first time this season ... going to be able to better rank these teams after seeing them in person ... will be able to compare them to the teams ahead of them in my rankings ... should be a great night tonight in the House that Hawhee Built ! Oak Hill set the bar high with the win over Alexander Wednesday night !

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Should be a good classic. Waverly should handle Piketon no problem and have fairly fresh legs for Friday night. Whoever wins between Western and Eastern will have survived a war. Both very good teams, well coached, will play hard, should be an awesome energy filled game. I think Waverly wins Friday night in a very good, close championship game just like last yr. not sure Eastern has more depth. Waverly will run eight or nine in and out all night long. I think Waverly wins due to fresher legs Friday. Love the job Coach Robertson is doing with this group.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Eastern uses 8-9 guys every game. When I talk depth I mean scorers, Eastern has 6 guys can drop 15-20 points a night.

GO EAGLES
Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I am very familiar with Easterns roster. The loss of Gambill and Tomlinson has hurt your depth. I like Cody Weaver but just feel he is a year away. Waverly will have athletes all over the floor and in my opinion they are just a little bit better than Eastern and Western.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

In the House that Hawhee Built in downtown Waverly ... first up Eastern Pike vs Western Pike... followed by Waverly vs Piketon...

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Ukfanatic wrote:I am very familiar with Easterns roster. The loss of Gambill and Tomlinson has hurt your depth. I like Cody Weaver but just feel he is a year away. Waverly will have athletes all over the floor and in my opinion they are just a little bit better than Eastern and Western.
Looks like it's up to Waverly to get a county team in top 8.

GO EAGLES
Dragons16
Waterboy

Post by Dragons16 »

Fairland was able to hold off a very good Chaminade Julienne for a 65-58 win. Go Dragons!

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Is Oak Hill's schedule not strong enough to require them to be in top 8?........I think they have a very good team this year.....good guards ...balance...and the main factor.....NORM!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

HoopsHotHead wrote:Is Oak Hill's schedule not strong enough to require them to be in top 8?........I think they have a very good team this year.....good guards ...balance...and the main factor.....NORM!!

... HoopsHotHead - I'll tell you what I told the Oaks' PG Landon Carroll last night at Waverly "I knew the Oaks were good - you don't get to 8-0 without being good, but the schedule they play makes it hard to have them higher in the rankings when compared with the bigger schools above them in the rankings " ...

Date ............Time .................Opponent .................................Location
12/2 ............6:00 ..................Eastern ......................................... Away ... Good win 5-1 (only team ranked above them in 8 gms)
12/6 ............6:00 ..................Symmes Valley ............................ Home
12/9 ............6:00 ..................Northwest ..................................... Away
12/10 ..........6:00 ..................Meigs ...................................Rio Grande
12/16 ..........6:00 ..................Waverly ......................................... Away
12/20 .........6:00 ..................Valley............................................ Home
12/23 ..........6:00 ..................Green ............................................ Away
12/28 .........6:00 ..................Alexander ..................................... Home

... the 2017 portion of the season for Oak Hill has some solid teams , challenging games for the Oaks - I have those highlighted in purple ...

12/30 .........6:00 ..................Rock Hill ........................................ Away
1/3 ..............6:00 ..................Wellston ....................................... Home
1/6 ..............6:00 ..................Wheelersburg .............................. Home
1/10 ............6:00 ..................Minford ......................................... Away
1/13 ............6:00 ..................West ............................................. Home
1/17 ............6:00 ..................South Webster .............................. Away
1/20 ...........6:00 ..................Northwest .................................... Home
1/21 ............4:00 ..................Coal Grove ................................... Home
1/24 ............6:00 ..................Waverly ........................................ Home
1/27 ............6:00 ..................Valley............................................. Away
1/31 ............6:00 ..................Wheelersburg ............................... Away
2/3 .............6:00 ..................Minford ........................................ Home
2/10 ...........6:00 ..................West .............................................. Away
2/17 ............6:00 ..................South Webster ............................. Home

I also told Landon that to be fair to the Oaks and the other smaller schools I HAD TO see them play! for me to fairly rank the smaller schools I needed to get out or in this case get into the land of the SOC to see the Oak Hills, Portsmouth Easts, Portsmouth Clays, Eastern & Western Pikes, Waverlys, MInfords AND I HAVE ! I've personally put eyes on all of those teams - the other smaller schools I NEED to see are South Webster, Wheelersburg & Portsmouth Notre Dame ... Usually I see some of these teams during the regular season - Ports. East , Clay, Minford (has played Warren/Alexander at this end of the SE district), Eastern Pike - it's not an easy drive to get to the river to see Notre Dame, South Webster, even Waverly as the majority of their schedules are on the river ... going into this season I KNEW how good these teams were going to be , I KNEW that IF these teams played each other you would probably have a different winner each night - very closely matched teams , ALL very good teams , ALL I needed to see to try to discern strengths/weaknesses so I COULD fairly compare each of these teams with EACH OTHER as well as vs the other teams - bigger schools- in my rankings ... soooooo with all of that said "I NOW feel good about having seen the teams I have seen in the Land of the SOC! " ...

... I have seen all of the teams in my Elite 8 (1-8) ... I have seen 21 of my top 25 teams ... I have seen 40 out of the 72 teams in Southern /Southeast Ohio ... I will be at the Beasts of the Southeast where I will get to put eyes on 5 more teams that I haven't been able to see yet this season - Coal Grove, Lucasville Valley, Eastern Brown, Trimble, Chesapeake ... the next week I want to get to the Coach Dave Young Classic where I should be able to see some of the SHAC teams I haven't been able to see this season as well ... I'm getting around ! the Pfloyd Tour IS making the rounds ! I like to think that I know the teams in Southern/Southeastern Ohio as well as anyone by seasons end which will allow me to better rank the teams NEXT YEAR in 2017-18 ...

... No matter where you play, allows look in the Cheap Seats before game time ! - you never know when old pfloyd will be there doing Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats on your team ! LOL ...

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Thanks for the follow-up......I was not doubting your rankings....I appreciate all your efforts and work you put in for SEO hoops....have a great season FLOYD!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

HoopsHotHead wrote:Thanks for the follow-up......I was not doubting your rankings....I appreciate all your efforts and work you put in for SEO hoops....have a great season FLOYD!!!
... HHH - not a problem even you were (which I did not take that way at all) ... the Oaks have A LOT of pieces that with Coach Persin in charge are melded into a very good TEAM - solid fundamental at both ends of the floor from passing the ball, putting bodies on bodies rebounding, playing a physical no hands ,move your feet, beat you up with your body defense ... offensively Landon Carroll/Nolan Carroll/Mitchell Hale are as good as you will find ... all of the surrounding role players are outstanding as they play within themselves and within the definition of TEAM ... add Coach Persin courtside and you have one of the best TEAMS big or small school in Southeast Ohio ... are they Elite 8 material ? when I rank them I HAVE TO take into account opponents, I have to compare teams up and down the rankings ... so I need to look at weaknesses as well - the ONLY weakness I can perceive for the Oaks is not even one I have seen - I would like to see how they handle a team with inside size ... Alexander the other night had Chase Harris NOT tall ... 6-2 or 6-3 BUT he was strong in the paint , he scored 20 points ... that planted the seed of a perceived weakness in the Oaks defensively - it remains to be seen whether it is or is just s figment of pfloyd's imagination LOL pfloyd "wanting" to find a flaw in an otherwise well oiled, well coached machine ...

... HHH ... Waverly fans would like to see the Tigers ranked higher ... feeling that the Tigers can out run, out distance teams with their depth ... turning a game into a track meet, what I like to call "havoc ball" works well vs weaker teams - teams that are not schooled in the fundamentals, teams which don't rebound well, or teams that don't shoot the ball well, teams that are not able to handle pressure well ... any one of these weakness ALLOW the components needed for a team that relies on "havoc ball" to be successful - Oak Hill does ALL of these things well - hence they held Waverly to 45 points ... Waverly had to play a half court game - Oaks are/were the better all around TEAM imo ... with that said Western SHOULD get the "W" tonight in the holiday classic with my logic BUT I've never won the lottery either so what do I know LOL ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Trojans win in Florida today to put them at 4 and 2 on the season , they went 2 and one in Florida.
Last edited by biggdowgg on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Lutz of Athens is averaging 22.7 points a game (822 career)

Athens is averaging 66 points a game. Throw out the Alexander game(39 points) and Athens is over 70 a game.

1/6 vs Meigs should be a high scoring game
Last edited by Raider6309 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Pfloyd. Will be very surprised if western beats Waverly with no bench. Waverly should wear them out and pull away in the end. If western has a weakness its that they don't handle pressure well. Lots of turnovers in the three games I have watched them. Waverly should have beat Oak Hill. Missed a ton of wide open looks that they normally make. I give Oak Hill a lot of credit for hanging in and finding a way to win. Will be very interesting to see what happens in the rematch. Hard to win at Oak Hill. Person continues to win year after year!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak gained their first win of the season in defeating Clermont Northeastern (D3) 59-45

They will play Batavia in the CNE Holiday Tournament Finals this evening

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote:Whiteoak gained their first win of the season in defeating Clermont Northeastern (D3) 59-45

They will play Batavia in the CNE Holiday Tournament Finals this evening

I92 ... I'm going to go back to writing Whiteoak as WhiteOak - they had a better record when I was doing that ! ;) ... I had just written this one down after looking at the Plain Dealer scores from yesterday - always good as a team to pick up that first "W" and get that weight off their backs - they can now just play the game without the tension ...

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Looking forward to the meat of the 2017 slate, hope the Trojans get better each week as we open 2017 at home welcoming in The Pointers of South Point

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

pfloyd wrote:... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4 ...

1. Fairland ... (5-0)
2. Vinton County ... (6-0)
3. Warren ........ (5-0)
4. Fairfield Union ... (5-1)
5. Waterford ......... (3-1)
6. Miami Trace ...... (5-2)
7. Unioto ............ (5-2)
8. Logan ............. (3-2)

... TreeHugger Wannabes ...

Athens (5-1)
Logan Elm (5-2)
Lynchburg Clay (4-1)