D4 Northwest Sectional

Western24
Freshman Team

Re: D4 Boys Northwest Sectional Teams and Outlook

Post by Western24 »

I agree everyone is avoiding them since the other sectional is so down if you can get away from them and get to the convo you have a great opportunity to get to the district final easily.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

BigLeagueChew wrote:Waterford is a regional final type of team, I look for most to do all they can to AVOID that dreadful 4-5 spot in this sectional. I know they had some close ones and curious scores but they also went through a few illnesses and injuries down the stretch. By the time Waterford gets to the convo they are going to be a buzzsaw. Who will be put there, I wonder, will they have a choice?
My personal opinion is that the majority of teams aren't trying to maneuver away from Waterford like posters are thinking.. Again, the front 8 of this sectional is so good, not to mention extremely battle tested. I'm sure each coach/team knows that Waterford is very good, but I also think these coaches are very confident in their kids right now. One game to get to the convo, then anything can happen.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

N2Hoops wrote:
7. East (only beat Coal Grove by 4, trending in wrong direction with long trip to Symmes imminent, but with the talent , still possible to get it going and make deep run)
Trending in the wrong direction? They have won 5 in a row... Only beating Coal Grove by 4? The Coal Grove who beat Portsmouth and played Fairland tough for 3 quarters last week? A win in a game at noon on a back-to-back on a long trip is still a win.

Legitimate question here next. What argument does Western (or Webster for that matter) have over clearly being seeded ahead of East? Just 2 Friday's ago, East went to Latham and won by around 20. East has the better record, and also recently beat Eastern.

What are SW's really good wins other than over Burg and Notre Dame, both young into the season? I generally acknowledge the S.O.S. should factor in, but I am not sure it is as big a factor this season. They have caught themselves in this similar situation for the past 3 years. A couple more games against quality DIV schools (who you think you are better than, but may not have a better record than) would really help them instead of New Boston and South Gallia.

I think what you have done versus the meat of the sectional you are in should be the easiest to factor, and it should weigh heavily. The more games you play (and win) against a common pool of opponents gives all involved the best chance at truly ranking teams. Curious how the top 8 would look if we were to only factor in games (win-loss) versus each other in the top 8?

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

I may have a few games off here but this is what I have found:

Clay: record against the top 8 (6-2), Record against the sectional (9-2)
Peebles: record against the top 8 (1-2), Record against the sectional (3-2)
Eastern: record against the top 8 (5-4), Record against the sectional (6-4)
Leesburg: record against the top 8 (1-0), Record against the sectional (5-0)
ND: record against the top 8 (3-5), Record against the sectional (5-5)
Western: record against the top 8 (4-5), Record against the sectional (7-5)
East: record against the top 8 (4-5), Record against the sectional (7-5)
SW:record against the top 8 (1-2), Record against the sectional (1-2)
Manchester: record against the top 8 (0-6), Record against the sectional (2-6)
NB: record against the top 8 (0-9), Record against the sectional (0-9)
Whiteoak: record against the top 8 (0-3), Record against the sectional (0-4)

That is what I have come up with. If it is wrong let me have it. Interesting to see what people think about this. Could change some peoples perspective.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Nice work Western24. The Clay numbers correct. What an exciting time and the obvious passion the posters have for their teams. Just look at the posts and discussions. So many good points and opinions. Each making good case for their teams seed.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Western24
Pretty interesting to look at it like that , good job by the way, thx for doing that .

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

EPN wrote:Western24
Pretty interesting to look at it like that , good job by the way, thx for doing that .
Gotta give some credit to TheSportsGuy for the idea. As noted nice job by Western24 for the time. Greatly appreciated.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Wait a minute , isn't TheSportsGuy from East , as an Eastern Eagle fan I can't give credit to a East fan....Kidding....good job by both!!!!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

When it comes down to it, I think being the #6 is better than being the 4 or 5. You get an early game at Northwest to get used to it against a bad team. Plus you avoid Waterford. The top 8 are so close, the benefits of being 4-5 are not better than being the 6.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Crab's Brother wrote:When it comes down to it, I think being the #6 is better than being the 4 or 5. You get an early game at Northwest to get used to it against a bad team. Plus you avoid Waterford. The top 8 are so close, the benefits of being 4-5 are not better than being the 6.
6 seed is what I figure my Peebles team would be seeded simply because we are a Shac school, but; hey whatever happens happens.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Crabs brother
I agree I am not sure the 6 seed will b that much worse than the 2 seed... last year Eastern got the 2 seed , and I said when I seen the draw I would have traded it for the 6 seed, Eastern Path as a 2 seed was Webster, Waterford , and Trimble. Western's path at 6 seed was Notre Dame , South Gallia, and East. Not saying it will happen this year, but the 6 seed may b just as good as the 2 again , depending on the draw .
I know u have to play who's in front of you, but I would always prefer the easiest path.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote:
Crab's Brother wrote:When it comes down to it, I think being the #6 is better than being the 4 or 5. You get an early game at Northwest to get used to it against a bad team. Plus you avoid Waterford. The top 8 are so close, the benefits of being 4-5 are not better than being the 6.
6 seed is what I figure my Peebles team would be seeded simply because we are a Shac school, but; hey whatever happens happens.
I'll wait to see tomorrow's outcomes but will message you my thoughts. I'm greatly betting against 3 or 6 seed

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Hoopie74 wrote:
Come on Hoopie74 a 6th seed now for your league. All the years the complaint was the 4/5 game for the Shac schools. I hate to see the league issue always thrown out. I am sure there will be teams questioning their seed. Not sure this year who wants to play whom just hate the league crutch for the teams. I thought last year I team got tough seed at 5. Didn't blame the SOC or the Russians. Went out and played defeating Peebles and gave game away to Trimble in 4th quarter. I believe there is no seed order that will not be questioned at some place in the top 8. Regardless should be good basketball by all teams.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote:
Hoopie74 wrote:
I'll wait to see tomorrow's outcomes but will message you my thoughts. I'm greatly betting against 3 or 6 seed
I think I know what you are saying. lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
Hoopie74 wrote:
I think I know what you are saying. lol
A lot of possibilities but a couple of things make it unclear of whether or not they'll happen.

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

If Peebles gets the 6 seed I will be very very surprised. No one can justify giving them the 6 seed when their record is 13-5 or whatever it is with 5 loses.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Peebles will not get the 6 seed. You guys really are trying to make the coaches of this Sectional sound like complete baffoons haha.. They'll vote fairly, I'm confident of it. Peebles will be in the 2-4 range (depending on tonight's result).

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

I agree, I honestly cant see them dropping lower then 3.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

I hope coaches log back on and adjust votes if needed(and it probably will be needed, big slate of games) Friday night. Eastern staying the 2 seed last year after losing on that friday was ridiculous.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Gold and Blue wrote:
Hoopie74 wrote:
Come on Hoopie74 a 6th seed now for your league. All the years the complaint was the 4/5 game for the Shac schools. I hate to see the league issue always thrown out. I am sure there will be teams questioning their seed. Not sure this year who wants to play whom just hate the league crutch for the teams. I thought last year I team got tough seed at 5. Didn't blame the SOC or the Russians. Went out and played defeating Peebles and gave game away to Trimble in 4th quarter. I believe there is no seed order that will not be questioned at some place in the top 8. Regardless should be good basketball by all teams.
Lighten up ,this is Small schools in southern Ohio. I just know that the ultimate goal here is to make it to Columbus.We all love our teams. I just think that with a little luck,staying healthy,a good coach, and a lot of desire any of the teams in this sectional can make it to the district finals. Quite an accomplishment for sure. I'm saying that regardless of where we are seeded, you will have a fight to get to the next game whoever you play. Enjoy the ride and know that when you get to the regional games you better have more than just 5 players. Your bench players better be ready to contribute. Most small town schools don't have deep benches. My Indians are not real deep which is our Achilles heal. That was proven last year when our sparkplug ,the Arey boy had his nose broken and he had to wear the mask.Our bench couldn't make up the 20 plus points he contributed each game and we were handled pretty badly by a very good Clay Team. I'm happy with whatever seed we get,because I know its basketball thirty. The greatest time of the basketball season.Good luck.

Return to “Boys Basketball”