Shot Clock in High School

rickoshay
SEOP

Re: Shot Clock in High School

Post by rickoshay »

king kong wrote:1% go on to the next level, so you think a rule should be in place that 99% of kids won't have to ever worry about because you won't be entertained? Please do basketball fans a favor and start liking soccer!
Top Ten post for the year King Kong :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

NO shot clock.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I don't mind a game that ends up say, 50-48; Portsmouth has games like that......we've had 2 so far this season, the Trojans beat Waterford 47-44 and lost to Coal Grove 51-46. In both games did neither team slow it down, rather the shooting just wasn't very good.

Thank goodness that stall games are not very common, but it does seem like the days of games being 80-75 are far and few between......and there is strategy to an uptempo game.......just because a game is slowed down doesn't mean that's the only strategy in basketball. There are many different strategies to employ. Full court pressing, pushing the ball up the court as opposed to walking it up (one of my pet peeves), wholesale substitutions to wear down an opponent are all strategies that can be used to create an uptempo pace.

A shot clock won't speed the game up that much, so it won't completely eliminate the possibility of an underdog pulling off the upset.

BobcatFuture1
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatFuture1 »

No, because it is a special part of high school basketball and make the game unique. Also, how is a over-matched but very disciplined team going to try to compete a large private school if that cannot hold the basketball and force tempo with their discipline and fundamentals offensively.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

King Kong with a classic response. Trojandave, the reason the 80-75 games are few and far between is because teams cannot shoot the way they used to. Too many teams shooting a bad percentage from behind the devil arc and not learning how to make a mid range jumper or earn 3 points the old fashioned way or shoot 70%+ from the free throw line. 3-19 from the devil arc and 7-20 from the line will not add up to 75+ points in a game. It will give these 40-35 scores that have people thinking it is a stall game and a shot clock is needed. Bobcat, you are correct. Give the disciplined teams a fair shake by letting them control tempo.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

35 second in high school and international rules for college

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

No shot clock. Kids force bad shots now without one so why pressure them to take a bad shot at the end of a possession just to beat the clock. They put in the devil arc and have kids chucking 3s at a young age and not learning proper shooting skills which is part of the reason for low scoring games. Not stalling the ball,bad shooting. Don't ruin the game anymore than the devil arc has.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Madness: You're right about mid range shooting skills having declined, free throw shooting included, and there is an obsession with the 3 point shot. I do like the 3 pointer because at Portsmouth, we have for years lacked a true post presence which makes it very difficult to run a traditional offense......that is, dump the ball into the post and let that player either score down low or kick it out to a wing or guard. That offense has been non-existent at PHS for quite a while, not since the days of 6-5 Dion McKinley (2011 and 2012), so the 3 point shot is a good scoring alternative. Of course beating teams up the court has been very beneficial to us, but we have to get the rebound, and the Trojans are rebounding challenged in about every game. The 3 pointer is also a rally maker, and it amazes me how teams allow 3 point shooters to set their feet and bomb away without any close out, just hoping they will miss......and at the end of a game, allowing teams to shoot 3 pointers when that is the only way they can come back also amazes me.

Many kids today don't have the work ethic of yesteryear, so standing behind the 3 point line and shooting set shots is an easier alternative compared to practicing ball handling. When I watch a high school game, so many kids today cannot really handle the ball well, and that pretty much tells me who is working in the off season and who isn't. Ball handling to me is the #1 skill in basketball, because it sets up about everything a team wants to do in a halfcourt offense or running a fast break.

As I have stated previously, I am strongly in favor of a shot clock which I emphasize again won't speed the game up that much. The underdog will still have a chance to win, but an underdog in some cases is different than a team that is simply not good. The best solution to me is for the inferior team to get out in the off season and work on their skills, instead of resorting to keep away to mask their deficiencies. With the game being called tighter by officials for hand checking, it makes it very difficult for a superior team to get a lot of steals.

I would be willing to compromise the shot clock issue by turning the clock off the last 2 minutes of the game, which would help the chances of the so-called underdog pulling off the upset. Regardless, though, whether there is a shot clock or not, I still love high school basketball and try to see as many games as I can. It only comes around once a year.

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:57 pm 35 second in high school and international rules for college
Supposedly the shot clock has been coming to high school for years. Still not here yet. Forget about it already.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

It's out there ,just not HERE....yet , but I would say it's coming whether we like it or not

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

biggdowgg wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:30 pm It's out there ,just not HERE....yet , but I would say it's coming whether we like it or not
People have been saying that on here since 2009. Still not here yet. So it’s only taken 14 years and counting 🤣

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:46 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:30 pm It's out there ,just not HERE....yet , but I would say it's coming whether we like it or not
People have been saying that on here since 2009. Still not here yet. So it’s only taken 14 years and counting 🤣

They also talked about a running clock in basketball for a long time ? 😂

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

king kong wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:30 pm For fans in Southeast Ohio clamor I got for a shot clock, you might as well say goodbye for a shot at a state title ever again around here! The talent is already behind the rest of the state, and the one thing that gives teams from around here a chance is solid ball handling, selling out on defense, free throw shooting and rebounding. I have been to the state finals the past few seasons, and I have watched basketball around here for a long time. Look at the teams from around here who have won, Barrick, slows it down and forces a slow tempo, that is the best bet to win with kids from around here.
I agree. The shot clock is just wanted because of the NBA and College ball that is no longer basketball. High School is the only place where the original game is played.
Before the three point shot many teams in the area were scoring 70 plus per game on average. My team had 2 games over 100 points in a year. When that team got to the district and Regional games they progressed down to 50 point games and the regional finals game final was 41-40. Defense was the name of the game at the big show. State level basketball will be gone for southeastern region teams if the shot clock takes off. It's not needed now anyway,because no teams around here hold it for 35 seconds anyway. Late in the game if you are a good team,you make the other team play defense and take nothing but a layup or a foul shot. Small schools will not be able to keep up with recruited teams and many kids will no longer play. Many are changing to soccer now anyway.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

4thgoal wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:56 pm
Truth&fiction wrote:Just a thought, how about if a team is not making an attempt to engage their offense a warning is given next time a T and loss of the ball. Not against a clock but it has to be what fits all teams . 35 to 40 would be fine with me.
A warning for what? having more skilled ball handlers? Both teams have the option to play fast or play slow....if you can't beat the other team at their style, make them change or lose. That's what coaching and strategy is all about. A decent play clock system would cost about $2,000, plus installation cost.

How about in football a rule is put in to penalize a team that keeps running the ball and keeps the clock running? Only 10 rushing attempts are allowed in a half and no more than 2 in a row... :lol: :lol:
Love this .I agree.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

4thgoal wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:31 am I don't like the idea of a shot clock for HS. If you don't like a team holding the ball, play some defense and take it away. The talk about fundamentals should also include playing defense. Basketball isn't only about what happens when you have the ball.....you have to play both ends of the floor.
Yes.

Lonesome Polecat
Freshman Team

Post by Lonesome Polecat »

Chieftain Fan wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:38 am I for one like a team to play to win instead of playing not to lose . When stalling that is what is happening . Good teams should dictate the flow of the game and keep their foes guessing . Good teams change defenses ancd offensive sets . That is what you see in good coaches. That said Ilike the idea of a shot clock . It would give an advantage to some teams mostly the better ones
Good teams already have an advantage. Its called talent. So now you wont to bend the rules in their favor too? Maybe we should just have an assessment of teams before the season and if they don't measure up they aren't allowed to compete. Be careful what you ask for because it may prevent Logan from having a team most years. And I dont care how many kids you have per acre!

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

You guys are all idiots. High School already has a shot clock. It's 8:00 long. If Team A wins the tip they have 8:00 to take a shot or they lose possession at the start of the next quarter. Simple enough. Let the stall begin!

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Has anyone even thought about who is going to run the shot clock? It will need to reset after every possession. It's hard enough to get the regular clock working correctly let alone another factor added to the sometimes confusion of turning on/off a switch. :D

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

biggdowgg wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:47 pm

Isn’t that what we’re talking about?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:25 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:47 pm

Isn’t that what we’re talking about?

I yes it is,I'm just saying it's coming it may take years ,like the running clock but I'm sure it's coming

Return to “Boys Basketball”