12/13 Wheelersburg @ Ironton

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

12/13 Wheelersburg @ Ironton

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Thoughts

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 12/13 Wheelersburg @ Ironton

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

LET'S GO FIGHTING TIGERS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Play a zone against Burg and make them shoot from outside. They have no shooters from outside which is why Valley stayed in a zone and had a chance to win last night.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

mad-dogg

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Madness wrote:Play a zone against Burg and make them shoot from outside. They have no shooters from outside which is why Valley stayed in a zone and had a chance to win last night.
Guess u didn't watch the first game against west union. They were hitting from outside all night
Last edited by Mad-Dogg on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
DMUP
Riding the Bench

Re: mad-dogg

Post by DMUP »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
Madness wrote:Play a zone against Burg and make them shoot from outside. They have no shooters from outside which is why Valley stayed in a zone and had a chance to win last night.
Guess u didn't watch the firdt game against west union. They were hitting from outside all night
Safe to say they hit 9-10 3s would me my guess.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Against a very bad West Union team they did hit some 3s but was 10 for 20 from foul line. Have seen them play many times and over the years and outside shooting is not one of their strong points. Just like the foul line gives them fits. A good zone that pressures the outside shot gives mediocre teams a chance to beat them just like Valley proved. Valley is not a strong team yet but had a chance to win by playing a zone the entire game. Teams that follow Valley's lead will prove my point all season. 1 game of making shots does not make them good shooters. Until they do it game in and game out, I won't be convinced they are a good shooting team.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

There is an answer to a team playing a zone against you and if you have the lead.

It is called hold the ball out front and force the other team to play man defense on your team. Burg did not do that last night and it let Valley stick around. If Valley would have been forced to play man that game would have been ugly.

Noitall
JV Team

Re: mad-dogg

Post by Noitall »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
Guess u didn't watch the firdt game against west union. They were hitting from outside all night
What's a firdt?? Is that a new school :lol: :lol: :lol:

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

I agree with you on holding the ball and forcing the team to play man. But that didn't happen and Valley hung around with a chance to win the game. The point I am making is staying in a zone is the way to beat Wheelersburg because they have better drivers than they do outside shooters.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

GO TIGERS BEAT THE PIRATES.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Mad-Dogg
SEOP

mad-dogg

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Noitall wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:
What's a firdt?? Is that a new school :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hate posting on my cell phone. It posts all kinds of diff stuff

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
vincent_chase
Waterboy

Post by vincent_chase »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:There is an answer to a team playing a zone against you and if you have the lead.

It is called hold the ball out front and force the other team to play man defense on your team. Burg did not do that last night and it let Valley stick around. If Valley would have been forced to play man that game would have been ugly.
You also need to attack the high post. Something they did not do until the second half. Early on they were in a open post against the zone. Haven't seen that too many times

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

Tigers should win this one ,burg has 2 players that are good but after that I don't see anyone else that would be a true starter not even anywhere else in the SOC

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

^^^^^^TROLL^^^^^^^^

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

LOL , go ahead and play Zone.. Game one 99 points against zone.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Big difference between West Union in a zone, and a team like Ironton in a zone. If zone played right, still shouldn't be many uncontested looks (see Jim Boeheim/Syracuse's 2-3). Past few years watching Burg, I've always thought I'd start out in zone against them until they either shot me out of it or stalled me out of it. I'd take my chances with Holden and Co. shooting from deep instead of watching them blow by athletically-overmatched defenders in man-to-man.

As for this game, gotta give the edge to Ironton as the home team and with Burg still getting into basketball condition. Could see these teams meeting up again in March though and Burg may have the advantage by then.*

DMUP
Riding the Bench

Post by DMUP »

Art from what I seen Tuesday vs WU in shape wasn't an issue. They pressed WU most of game and hit 9-10 3s I think all teams will be better in March barring no injuries. But I can't see Burg being behind much in the "in shape" department based upon their shooting %
Sports fan. I agree 99 pts. Vs a pretty active zone in WU. I think it will be a good matchup if Ironton can score with Burg. Def will be a better game than WU.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

art_vandelay wrote:Big difference between West Union in a zone, and a team like Ironton in a zone. If zone played right, still shouldn't be many uncontested looks (see Jim Boeheim/Syracuse's 2-3). Past few years watching Burg, I've always thought I'd start out in zone against them until they either shot me out of it or stalled me out of it. I'd take my chances with Holden and Co. shooting from deep instead of watching them blow by athletically-overmatched defenders in man-to-man.

As for this game, gotta give the edge to Ironton as the home team and with Burg still getting into basketball condition. Could see these teams meeting up again in March though and Burg may have the advantage by then.*
Solid post, good analysis.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

West Union is not a team that I would base a whole lot on. Valley has a young team that played a zone and had a chance to win. Other more talented teams that play an aggressive in your face zone will give Burg fits because they have better drivers than they do shooters. What kind of percentage did they shoot against Valley? PDT doesn't seem to put much information out there for anyone to see. Just wondering what kind of difference between West Union and Valley.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

LET'S GO FIGHTING TIGERS TAKE DOWN THEM ORNERY OLE PIRATES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”