Finally!!! Tip Off Week to Hoops Season Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Finally!!! Tip Off Week to Hoops Season Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line !!!

Post by pfloyd »

... Finally !!!! we are going to tip it off for REAL this week!!! I'm a sports fan across the board BUT hs school hoops is "special" ... I think it has to do with looking at further than the "final scores" ... I analyze each team I watch in my mind throughout the game ... I'm not sure I can just go watch a game for the purpose of just "watching" the game for enjoyment ... I analyze during the game, after the game I take a look at ALL of the "napkin stats" for both teams AND analyze more as to what the napkin stats tell me ... I look at each teams personnel , what they bring to the table , I look at TEAM - are the teams a group of "individuals" or are do they play as a TEAM ... heck I look at the teams warming up , how they pass the ball, look at whether the coach emphasizes fundamentals or do THEY just put the lineup out there and "let'em go" so to speak ... then finally I compare all of the teams I see throughout the year with all of the other teams I see ... as 93dog pointed out to me - 72 teams in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... looking forward to being on the road to see as many of the top teams as I can ... I've always been of the mindset that in order to be able to rank the teams you have to SEE the teams ... the last thing I want to do is slight teams, players and/or coaches - IF a team is good I WANT to see them play ! if a TEAM is good then the COACH is doing something right as well - I'm a BIG time fan of "good coaching" ... "good , fundamentally sound" basketball ... with ALL of that said - I look forward to running into as many SEOPsters throughout the season as I can ! - my experience is that there are so many great fans of the game of high school hoops in Southern/Southeastern Ohio I WANT to "run into" you ! even if it is just a "hello" I like to put a seop's name with a face ... I like going to a "far away" gym and KNOW people there ... I'm a "Cheap Seat" guy ... if you look around the gym I will be a guy with a roster sheet, scrambling to get all of the players written onto the "napkin sheets" ... I usually survive on water & Twizzlers during hoops season with a side order of a hot dog & Skittles LOL ...

The first games start on Thursday night !

What are the menu of games for the opening "short week" of hoops ?

Dec. 1 :
Bloom Carroll hosts Chillicothe Thursday night ...

Friday night has the Zane Trace Tip Off Classic getting underway (2 games)
Saturday ALL DAY games at Zane Trace in the Tip Off Classic

Dec. 2

Ready vs. Westfall, 6:45pm
Logan Elm vs. Zane Trace

Dec. 3

Berne Union vs. Huntington boys and girls, 10:15am
Amanda vs. Adena, 1:45pm
Federal Hocking vs. Sheridan, 3:30pm
Circleville vs. South Point, 5:15pm
New Hope vs. Zane Trace boys and girls

Unioto travels to Logan Saturday night to get things "real" for both teams ...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Finally!!! Tip Off Week to Hoops Season Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line !!!

Post by Orange and Brown »

Thanks for all you do!
You are always welcome to Ben Wagner Gymnasium. High school basketball in southeastern Ohio wouldn't be the same without you.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Orange and Brown wrote:Thanks for all you do!
You are always welcome to Ben Wagner Gymnasium. High school basketball in southeastern Ohio wouldn't be the same without you.

... thanks O & B ... Coach Kline has always been one of the coaches I respect and enjoy chatting with in SEOhio ... I will get to Ben Wagner for sure this season - as it is only a 15 minutes drive for me from Logan on bypass ...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Going to be some interesting reading.
have all safe travels to there and back.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
smith.hill.royalty
Waterboy

Post by smith.hill.royalty »

Pfloyd....the Streaks travel to Vinton County on Friday December 2nd! Should be a good test for Coach Legg and the boys of Piketon facing off against one of the best teams in the Southeast. A lot of questions regarding the Streaks this season....new coaching staff, new system, and definitely a late start compared to most programs. As for VC a very well seasoned team that operates like a well oiled machine. Should be an interesting game to see!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

smith.hill.royalty wrote:Pfloyd....the Streaks travel to Vinton County on Friday December 2nd! Should be a good test for Coach Legg and the boys of Piketon facing off against one of the best teams in the Southeast. A lot of questions regarding the Streaks this season....new coaching staff, new system, and definitely a late start compared to most programs. As for VC a very well seasoned team that operates like a well oiled machine. Should be an interesting game to see!
... smith.hill.royalty !!! I didn't need to read that one !!! LOL THAT would be an excellent game to see at VC ... it would give me a chance to see Piketon too ... now you've given me something to think about !!! I was all set to head for Zane Trace to see the 2 games Friday with Logan Elm vs ZT in the nightcap ... I may have to change my plans and head down Rte 93 to McArthur Friday night ... Thanks !

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

Fairfield Union opens up with Watterson on the 2nd. Excited to see where this team is at!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Bud07 wrote:Fairfield Union opens up with Watterson on the 2nd. Excited to see where this team is at!

Bud07 ... who is the transfer PG that is at FU this season? does he have to sit out the first 11 games or is he good to go from game 1 on ? he transferred from Fairfield Christian ? or is it Fisher Catholic ? ...

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Pfloyd think I would stick with going to Zane Trace Friday. Piketon will not be very good and Vinton County is phenomenal. Not much of a game there! JMO!

smith.hill.royalty
Waterboy

Post by smith.hill.royalty »

UKfanatic....you might be correct about Piketon but from what I've seen in a short period of time from the new coaching staff and the players is they might be dangerous. Very athletic team just trying to find itself within this new system Coach Legg has implemented. And as for VC....they are legit! Definitely one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the district.

Only time will tell....

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

Ukfanatic wrote:Pfloyd think I would stick with going to Zane Trace Friday. Piketon will not be very good and Vinton County is phenomenal. Not much of a game there! JMO!
Haven't seen him yet this winter because he does have to sit out 11 games including scrimmages, but from what I saw this summer he will be a huge addition to the falcons. He has superior ball handling and passing skills, is very athletic, and can score whenever he wants.

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

pfloyd wrote:
Bud07 wrote:Fairfield Union opens up with Watterson on the 2nd. Excited to see where this team is at!

Bud07 ... who is the transfer PG that is at FU this season? does he have to sit out the first 11 games or is he good to go from game 1 on ? he transferred from Fairfield Christian ? or is it Fisher Catholic ? ...

Sorry wrong quote hopefully you know what I meant.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Bud07 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:

I can confirm that he is a transfer from Fairfield Christian. He was a very good backup PG for the Knights playing PG behind his older brother. I believe he play for King James for AAU.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chieftain2009 wrote:
Bud07 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:

I can confirm that he is a transfer from Fairfield Christian. He was a very good backup PG for the Knights playing PG behind his older brother. I believe he play for King James for AAU.

2009 - is the transfer for FU a senior?

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

pfloyd wrote:
Chieftain2009 wrote:
Bud07 wrote: Sorry wrong quote hopefully you know what I meant.

No, I believe he is a sophomore.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chieftain2009 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:
Chieftain2009 wrote:

No, I believe he is a sophomore.

gotcha Chieftain2009 ... I could never understand why a senior would transfer his senior year and only play 1/2 a season ... FU will be the real deal as they roll into the post season ... thanks for the information !

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

No problem pfloyd! I'm always watching information. Hope to see you at a game this year at Logan. I'm not in town anymore, so I won't be at many games.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

The transfer to LU, Conley, is indeed a sophomore. I saw Fairfield Christian play a few times last year and his older brother had been a key player for several years. They younger Conley played a limited role at the start of the season (as most budding freshman do) but took over more responsibility as the year went on. He's quick, a good ball handler, and has a good feel for the game for such a young player.

It's a tough loss for Fairfield Christian but should add depth for LU in the short-term and I imagine he would be a nice contributor as he becomes an upperclassman.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Smith hill royalty, not trying to be mean. Coach Legg I believe will do a great job. They will play hard for him. However you still have to have the Jimmy and the Joes in basketball. I don't believe Piketon has the players to be competitive this year with the upper echelon of Southern Ohio teams such as Vinton County. Their best player is starting for Western.

Return to “Boys Basketball”