A Coach's' Ethical Dilemma?

McArthur General
Waterboy

A Coach's' Ethical Dilemma?

Post by McArthur General »

There is a local high school basketball team that did not have two returning lettermen come out and play. I am not sure why, but they refuse to join their team at the start of this season. Since then the team has carried on, but as of now, I have heard through a grapevine that those same two returning lettermen will return to the team, nearly mid-way through the season. Several questions, how or why does a coach allow this to happen? What does the parents say in this? What about the parents of the kids who place will be taken will say? Has this happen before? Thoughts?

sparky
All State

Re: A Coach's' Ethical Dilemma?

Post by sparky »

need more details. were they injured, did they play a fall sport, etc?

BB34
Waterboy

Post by BB34 »

I was wondering when this would hit the airwaves.

Sparky - I know the 2 boys both played football and I am pretty sure they were not injured.

From what I understand, the coach had the team vote on whether to let the 2 boys play this late into the season and the team unanimously voted to let them play.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Here we Go a Vinton Countian worring about whats going on in Wellston.
The only reason to start this thread is to bash. I think all know where this is going . I think the mods should shut it down now.
ill answer all the guestions.
1. Its his team his call
2. Dont matter what the parents say.
3.Not real sure on this , but noone is going to be cut if that is what is ment here.
4. Im sure it has on many area teams.
My thought see above. :idea:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Between the coach and the team.

If in fact the team voted unanimously and the coach doesn't care....why in the world should anyone else?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ironman92 wrote:Between the coach and the team.

If in fact the team voted unanimously and the coach doesn't care....why in the world should anyone else?
I agree.......

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Ironman92 wrote:Between the coach and the team.

Agreed

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

sounds like a whole bunch of spin to me. I know coach mckinnis would not allow that to happen here in Jackson. It would never be up to the players.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I personally could care less; however, I do believe it does send the wrong message to all kids in the system. And I too, believe that Coach Combs would never allow that to happen at Vinton County. Boilermaker, again I have to disagree with you. If I was a parent of a current starter and he was displaced by one of these two, I would be extremely upset, because again, it sends the wrong message.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Solomon wrote:sounds like a whole bunch of spin to me. I know coach mckinnis would not allow that to happen here in Jackson. It would never be up to the players.
Maybe Coach was pressured by "upper Mgmt."

Boys don't learn much by this move :? :?

gt13osu
Varsity

Post by gt13osu »

imo, that's bull crap. They can't just come in and play whenever they want to. They have players that work hard for playing time weeks before the season and its not fair for two guys to come in mid way thru the season and take that away from them, idc who it is.

mikethompson
Riding the Bench

Post by mikethompson »

gt13osu wrote:imo, that's bull crap. They can't just come in and play whenever they want to. They have players that work hard for playing time weeks before the season and its not fair for two guys to come in mid way thru the season and take that away from them, idc who it is.
You would not have thought that if Lawson came back for Alexander. Go write some more biased articles lol.

gorockets2
Riding the Bench

Post by gorockets2 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:I personally could care less; however, I do believe it does send the wrong message to all kids in the system. And I too, believe that Coach Combs would never allow that to happen at Vinton County. Boilermaker, again I have to disagree with you. If I was a parent of a current starter and he was displaced by one of these two, I would be extremely upset, because again, it sends the wrong message.
B.S you can't tell me if Andy grillo or Dustin Guthrie didn't want to play one year then decided to want to come out combs would not let them. Get your head out of his butt and get real!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I know it. Bet your savings account on it. This is not a matter of wins and losses, this simply sends the wrong message, this is about the greater good, doing what is right. There is more to life than high school basketball. My head is not in my butt, I am too fat.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Should have started a poll on this subject "right, or wrong" I'll take the dead wrong.

teamworkwins
Riding the Bench

Post by teamworkwins »

Ask Brett Farve what he thinks? That seemed to turn out pretty well (not).

mikethompson
Riding the Bench

Post by mikethompson »

If Combs lets players on his team who fight at GusMackers in Chilicothe what would stop him from having them take a half of season off ?

gorockets2
Riding the Bench

Post by gorockets2 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:I personally could care less; however, I do believe it does send the wrong message to all kids in the system. And I too, believe that Coach Combs would never allow that to happen at Vinton County. Boilermaker, again I have to disagree with you. If I was a parent of a current starter and he was displaced by one of these two, I would be extremely upset, because again, it sends the wrong message.
You say you could care less then why comment on it?

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

This will only create a mess in the future. It opens up the door for kids to come out when ever they want and good luck getting kids to do any off season work.

Ted Striker
Freshman Team

Post by Ted Striker »

Grinder wrote:This will only create a mess in the future. It opens up the door for kids to come out when ever they want and good luck getting kids to do any off season work.
Exactly. And as far as Vinton County allowing this to happen, it would never be an issue. Kids WANT to show up and work hard for their program at Vinton County. They know what is expected of them both in the off season and during the season and they know the repercussions if they fail to show commitment. This sets a horrible example, both leadership wise, and for the good of the program. I would feel betrayed if I were a player for that program.

Return to “Boys Basketball”